Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Becoming a HHN Scareactor

Feb 3, 2008
Cincy > Atl > LA
Hey all,

Just had a few questions about how to become a Scareactor for this year. I currently live in Ohio but will be graduating college in May so this is really my only opportunity to become a Scareactor before I take a real job and not have time. I was wondering when applications open up and when auditions are normally held. Basically what do I have to do? I was planning on flying down for auditions and if I got the job staying with one of my parents friends in Orlando while I am working. Can anybody help me out on how the process goes?

Auditions start around early July.

Not being local could be a potential hindrance though. I'm sure some of our members with SA experience would be glad to shed some light on if it could impact your selection, and more about the process.

Auditions are a simple process. It's basically a "look" audition. They bring you all into a room. They normally ask a question. That's about it as far as the audition goes. Just have a clear schedule and a good attitude.

If hired, be prepared to work! It's truly a experience unlike anything and you might want to come back and back. Anyway if any other questions ask away and Good Luck!

The two above covered most of it pretty well. They're essentially looking for 3 things:
1. Do you have the body type necessary for a particular role?
2. Do you appear to be physically capable of performing that role?
3. Are you available to work at least MOST, if not ALL event and rehearsal nights.
#3 tends to be the clincher. While asking for one or two nights off may not hurt you, any more may get you not cast. Heck even asking for one may get you the boot. Living out of state probably won't effect too much if you explain you've got a reliable place to stay during the event run. I know a few SAs who come to town just to work the event.
Start checking the audition page regularly around mid-June.

#3 above, schedule - is definitely the clincher for standard scareactors.
If you can get a stationary/speaking/dedicated role, they can be a little more lenient with schedule. In 2003 I played a captain on Ship of Screams along with two other guys, not really a scaring position but more spieling, and was able to just work Sunday-Thursday nights. Out of the three of us we were able to work a schedule where we all had plenty of days off but there were always two of us on site.

Same as everybody else. You can mention a preference for active back-up or fire crew at the audition, but in the end you're offered what your offered (or not offered).

i guess what i was thinking about was what are the odds of getting back up or fire crew? '

what happens if they give you a full scareactor position but you declined, can you try again the next year?

Getting back up crew today is a bit harder I believe. You have better odds getting full status than back up. Also you have to fit a certain body form to be able to fill in among all the other actors roles.