Brenda | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Brenda

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think if it's a "once in a while" thing there is no problem with what she does.  The problems start happening when it becomes a constant, like it has here.  Most people in the entertainment department will play along with guests like her.  They bring an energy to the performance that wasn't there.  But, when people start to show up to see her and not the entertainers, well, then it becomes an issue.  Especially in this day and age, if something goes viral (and it sounds like her unintended videos have), people will show up for her "performance" and not the real one.  I just hope it's not to point and laugh.
I guess that's where my sensitivity is - I feel like everyone's ridiculing her when they stop and take videos, and post it on YouTube with the title "weird lady at universal studios".

I see it from the lady's point of view, not the performers. Sure, it can be challenging to be a performer. Sure, they don't always get exactly the audience they want. Sure, there are distractions. Sure, it's unfair.  I didn't realize that things should be fair for performers. But I see I am in the minority here.

Reactions: darrengr18
I see it from the lady's point of view, not the performers. Sure, it can be challenging to be a performer. Sure, they don't always get exactly the audience they want. Sure, there are distractions. Sure, it's unfair.  I didn't realize that things should be fair for performers. But I see I am in the minority here.
I think things should be fair for all sides really, performers or otherwise. =(

But knowing first hand the difficulties that performers and theme park employees in general face, I am personally going to side with them. Shouldn't they be entitled to fairness and their own feelings as well? I guess the implication of your statement is that the performers don't deserve a sort of fairness in regards to their work. I disagree with that. And by that logic it would mean that they have to just deal with whatever anyone else does to or around them, because they're being paid to work. At the end of the day they're still people and they deserve fairness in general as much as anyone else does.

I guess for me, it comes down to the customer is not always right, no matter what companies say. She's not hurting anyone, but ultimately she is distracting to some of the entertainers and to other guests, and it's a source of irritation for management.

Reactions: Allen The Actor
Sorry Miss Betty but I just don't agree with you regarding Brenda. I think all people are entitled to their feelings and I'm not saying performers aren't. I feel there is no such thing as fair or unfair when performers are doing their job in public. They will face many different challenges. Some of those challenges may not be fair.  Jobs aren't fair. Life isn't fair. One of the challenges is dealing with people like Brenda. I just don't see it as unfair to performers that some people watching their performance reacts differently than they want. She feels connected to the performers and cast members at USH. I suspect the only people she has in her life. That's not fair. But it's the way it is.

And I'm not talking about what companies say - I'm talking about human compassion for someone like Brenda. At the end of the day she is is still a person. But I imagine you're feelings are the more prevalent and management will soon ban her from the park. More fair and less distracting to the paid performers.

Anyway, I respect your point of view. I just don't agree. Compassion outweighs fair to me in this case.

Reactions: BehindTheTheme
I'm totally on Adri's side on this. I see both points, but even if I wasn't an actor, I'd be on her side. I really don't understand what you mean when you say there's no fair or unfair. There's definitely both. It's not just for performers, it's for anyone who's working.

If the janitor at USH just finished cleaning a certain area, and a kid walks over, smirks, and purposely dumps his drink everywhere, that's unfair. Slightly different situation but I'd still have the compassion for the janitor, even if it was an accident. "Life isn't fair" is in my opinion not always a valid phrase. There are certain things that ARE in our control and we can make things fair.

To me, seeing these street performers at USH is no different than seeing the Waterworld performers or even a Broadway show. You can't always say "you have to deal with every kind of guest, it's your job". That doesn't work in every department or situation. If I'm paying big bucks to see a Broadway show or splurging on a luxury like a theme park ticket, I don't want distractions from what I paid for. Same thing like when certain singers at concerts say "I appreciate my fans who know the lyrics and love singing a long, but the guy behind you didn't pay $200 to hear you sing off key, they came to see me"

Showing respect to employees, performer or not, is important...they're still human. So is Brenda. But there is a limit to everything. Line has to be drawn somewhere between compassion and major distraction. Because I have compassion for both, but i have respect AND compassion for the employees.

*shrug* let's agree to disagree.

Last edited by a moderator:
Performers are their to work to not to judge guests(I guess the performers don't want fans because with out Brenda they would just have people walk by). Come on  unless she is right in front of the band blocking other guests views/or singing at the top of her lings she is not doing anything wrong. Their are people on our forum who crave more attention then she.

To me, seeing these street performers at USH is no different than seeing the Waterworld performers or even a Broadway show. You can't always say "you have to deal with every kind of guest, it's your job". That doesn't work in every department or situation. If I'm paying big bucks to see a Broadway show or splurging on a luxury like a theme park ticket, I don't want distractions from what I paid for. Same thing like when certain singers at concerts say "I appreciate my fans who know the lyrics and love singing a long, but the guy behind you didn't pay $200 to hear you sing off key, they came to see me"

Showing respect to employees, performer or not, is important...they're still human. So is Brenda. But there is a limit to everything. Line has to be drawn somewhere between compassion and major distraction. Because I have compassion for both, but i have respect AND compassion for the employees.

*shrug* let's agree to disagree
Really a Broadway show? Which cost $100+ dollars for 1 specific show and that the main reason your going. USH (music)street performers are just background music a lot of the time. Unless they actually have a show time on the main schedule their just extra. Not to make what they do small but it is what it is.

Brenda if you come on here ROCK ON!

I guess we can agree to disagree

I never said they're there to judge guests. But they're human, and at work, and if a guest is distracting constantly, it can get frustrating! Key word is CONSTANT.

Yes, I'm gonna compare a Broadway performance with the USH musicians. A performer is a performer and requires respect. As does any employee. You're seriously belittling the musicians/performers, in my opinion, by saying if it wasn't for Brenda, they wouldn't have fans and people would just walk on by. That's naive and rude to them in my opinion. You say people don't come specifically for the musicians. Well, not the majority of the guests, but again, atmosphere music like that is important and some of them do have fans. Even if it's a random tourist, maybe they wanna stick around and listen.

Here's a Disney example: if I'm watching/listening to the Dapper Dans on Main Street at Disney, I'm invested into them. They're very popular. If some lady tried to take away the attention from the Dapper Dans day after day, I'd get upset if I was a guest or an employee. But that's my opinion....

I'm not saying what Brenda or people like her do is the most horrible thing on earth, far from it. I'm simply stating that I think it's distracting when it's constantly happening and can come off as a bit rude to the employees. I'm sure she's a nice person though.

I think that the whole thing is not what she does, I guess we are all concern for her mental health. It is not normal how she behaves(and lets not get on the "what do you define normal" kind of discussion since there are behaviors that are not normal and should seek medical attention). It's not matter of personality, it just shows there is something going on with her, probably dementia since she is old and it is not uncommon for elderly people to have dementia. I think my whole point is that she should be checked by a doctor to see if everything is ok. If she's not ok she should take the necessary steps to treat her illness. Now she is calm, but it could evolve into nastier things, agressive behavior, relieving herself in public, those kind of things. So my only concern is her health.

She's not necessarily crazy.. she's just having a good time. While cast members may be a little fed up with her now and then, I highly doubt she means any harm. I didn't see her anywhere near the Swamp Musicians yesterday - in fact, I only saw her once. She was by the park entrance's studio directory, with little flowers she put all in her hair, having a conversation with Dracula. For all we know, couldn't she be an avid fan of the park as well?

Yes Allen, we will agree to disagree. Life is not fair. You find that an invalid phrase. I find it to be true and valid. I agree that a disruptive audience member is disruptive. I am not the type of person who would say, "that's not fair." because nothing is fair. I'm with BehindTheTheme on your Broadway show example. It is not belittling to the theme park street performer to say that what they are doing is different than what a performer on stage is doing. The theme park street performer is, indeed, background. People walk by without even noticing, they carry on conversations without even noticing, the plan their day without even noticing, they eat a churro without even noticing. That doesn't put them down. Of course they add to the experience of a theme park. But their role in entertaining is very, very different than an actor on stage. As is the audience expectation. I can understand that you find Brenda and people like her a bit rude. 

So in your opinion, what should be done to Brenda or people like her to make things are fair for the performers? Should she be banned from the park? Should be be forced to not dance and carry on near performers? Just like what would happen to a person who stood up in the middle of a Broadway show and started singing and dancing?

I've split this topic from the main "Character Meet and Greet" thread with a few edits to tame down the discussion.

Please continue here - and remember, be civil. If the discussion patters out like Adriana mentioned, we'll close the topic.

Jon

Reactions: BehindTheTheme
I'm not even gonna reply to what was asked in reply to what I said or defend my opinion, I'm done haha. There's obviously two different opinions and two completely different train of thoughts regarding the situation. It's a back and forth pull with us not getting anywhere. Let's just agree to disagree. I personally don't think much else can be said... *shrug*

Status
Not open for further replies.