Broken Ride Effects | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Broken Ride Effects

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Lights are brighter than normal on Forbidden Journey recently, as well as in its queue. Kinda ruins the effect at times like the mirrors in the loading area are obvious and the first projection with Hermione is obviously a projection. Also, you can easily see the death eaters coming towards you so its less of a surprise.

Dragon didn't do anything at all, no smoke or motion, yesterday either.

Gringots seems to be working completely though with the smoke and kuka arm door both working.

Lastly, the truck in Spiderman wasn't working as well.

I wonder if the increased lighting on FJ is part of a test for a 3D installation? They would have to brighten everything to counteract the darkened filter. Curious.

That dragon has always been a mess - went from an impressive profile to a barely functional profile to now nothing at all. Weak.

Glad Gringotts is hanging in there, though. Here's hoping FJ gets some love.

Reactions: ChrisFL
Lights are brighter than normal on Forbidden Journey recently, as well as in its queue. Kinda ruins the effect at times like the mirrors in the loading area are obvious and the first projection with Hermione is obviously a projection. Also, you can easily see the death eaters coming towards you so its less of a surprise.

Dragon didn't do anything at all, no smoke or motion, yesterday either.

Gringots seems to be working completely though with the smoke and kuka arm door both working.

Lastly, the truck in Spiderman wasn't working as well.

How insanely awkward is that? The dragon sits there motionless while still having light shone upon it with sound? Not exactly an effect you can hide since you are FACE TO FACE with it -_-

I was under the impression the dragon had been working reliably with full motion for four solid years. Am I correct in this? If so, I would say it has worked quite reliably under such punishment. I would expect it is probably undergoing a lot of custom machining and testing to bring it back into service.

FJ is five years old already. I expect things to be breaking down, but I'm sure Universal will react & repair problems as quickly as possible under the various circumstances, since this is one of the icons of the HP lands.

I was under the impression the dragon had been working reliably with full motion for four solid years. Am I correct in this? If so, I would say it has worked quite reliably under such punishment. I would expect it is probably undergoing a lot of custom machining and testing to bring it back into service.

Nah, the dragon has been motionless on many rides over the years, and had his motion profile reduced pretty considerably (his neck no longer swings from one side to the other - he just stares straight ahead and breathes his fire.)

This can't be true because I've only been over the last year and I've seen the dragon working in various states over my visits, including the full movement of his head from one side to the other. It looked exactly as it was supposed to - I think the last time I saw it like this was probably in October, maybe January. The last time I went it was a little underwhelming and it didn't move quite as much but I haven't seen it just staring into space when I've gone.

Nah, the dragon has been motionless on many rides over the years, and had his motion profile reduced pretty considerably (his neck no longer swings from one side to the other - he just stares straight ahead and breathes his fire.)

This can't be true because I've only been over the last year and I've seen the dragon working in various states over my visits, including the full movement of his head from one side to the other. It looked exactly as it was supposed to - I think the last time I saw it like this was probably in October, maybe January. The last time I went it was a little underwhelming and it didn't move quite as much but I haven't seen it just staring into space when I've gone.

Well, we seem to have a bit of a conflict. Anyone else want to share their experience in recent months?

Reactions: Frogki
I just noticed this thread...one thing to keep in mind is that effects can be broken for one ride and 'fixed' for the next one immediately after. I've seen that happen before.

I'm no electronics expert, but just wanted to mention I've seen that happen several times. There could be issues like resetting timing, sensors on the track that get interrupted briefly, etc. but those are just guesses.

Having said that I saw earlier where someone said a thread like this is useless, and though those posts are a few months old, I have to say something anyway.

I disagree. If we start seeing a pattern, like 5 or 10 people posting that the same effect is not working, that can be a push for 2 reasons:

1.) Universal may read these posts and decide to investigate
2.) If it is a major issue, the next time we go to the parks, we can confirm the issue THEN contact guest services about it while we're at the park.

Having individual experiences where an effect isn't working, IMO isn't enough to complain to guest services about, because as I said, its possible it was just temporary....but when things are broken on several visits, a group reporting on that is a good thing.

The mermaids in Pirates spring instantly to mind with effects that work occasionally, I would consider those to be in the broken group though.

I'll put it to you this way: I have not seen the dragon actually do its full motion cycle since my first visit to Hogsmeade - July 4th, five years ago. Every time since it's been the minimal motion profile - sometimes with the "fire," sometimes without.

Reactions: Frogki
Sounds like it's a spotty effect then... I definitely think the quality has varied but the first few months I went this year it was working right, I know because I remember how surprising it was to me to see how fluidly it moved.

I've only been a resident in Orlando since November and rode it all Christmas season and the head was moving. the seat to the farthest right gets hit head on with the steam when its moving. when it wasn't yesterday, the two middle seats where hit the hardest and I was missed.

This isn't true.

He has his good days and his bad, but he still has full motion when the effect works normally.