Cabana Bay Beach Resort | Page 102 | Inside Universal Forums

Cabana Bay Beach Resort

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
What do you guys think of the idea of Cabana bay shuttles dropping people to the left of IOA, where that parking lot is?

image_zpss6azlsjn.jpeg
Heck, if they would put an entrance gate over by Kong you wouldn't even need a shuttle, you could have a very short walk from CBBR & Sapphire to get into the park. This is something we've discussed before, a close separate entrance, but evidently Universal does not want to go that route.

Reactions: martymcflyy85
Heck, if they would put an entrance gate over by Kong you wouldn't even need a shuttle, you could have a very short walk from CBBR & Sapphire to get into the park. This is something we've discussed before, a close separate entrance, but evidently Universal does not want to go that route.
That would mean not walking by the gift shops on the way in and out. No theme park wants that.

Reactions: Joel and JoeCamel
Also, they would not only have to staff a gate there, they'd also have to staff the security and have metal detectors to go with it. That's an unnecessary added expense.

Reactions: IAmFloridaBorn
Yeah, really crowded, even with 1000 more rooms. I booked Portofino many months ago, and even though some AP's discounts were available for a couple hotels, they were not available for Portofino for stays over two days on weekdays and none available for weekends. I think the Universal hotel situation for HHN is actually tighter than spring break & summer now. I see rooms vanishing quicker than they do for those two seasons....I booked end of April. (Sapphire 24-29, Portofino Sept. 29-Oct. 8) Fall APH went online that week)

So basically you need to plan your vacation 180 days in advance to get a decent room/rate :lmao:

Just kiddin :)

I'm like 99% sure it's the case, but maybe someone who's stayed at Cabana a little more recently can reassure me.

When you check-in, they put your card on file for any incidentals and whatnot. You're not charged for your stay until checkout, right?

Reactions: JoeCamel
I'm like 99% sure it's the case, but maybe someone who's stayed at Cabana a little more recently can reassure me.

When you check-in, they put your card on file for any incidentals and whatnot. You're not charged for your stay until checkout, right?
I think they put a hold on the room credit amount on your credit line plus $100 (the other three hotels are $200 a night for room charge privileges) a night if you opt for charge to room privileges. They don't do the actual billing until your check out time but you have a hold on that credit amount on your credit line, I believe...Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Reactions: martymcflyy85
I have never had a hold. I decline charging to the room and get a bill for the room then for the parking on checkout. They do have the card on file in case I have some damage or unforeseen charge that the hotel wants to collect but no "hold" on the card.

Reactions: Joel and Mad Dog
I think they put a hold on the room credit amount on your credit line plus $100 (the other three hotels are $200 a night for room charge privileges) a night if you opt for charge to room privileges. They don't do the actual billing until your check out time but you have a hold on that credit amount on your credit line, I believe...Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Correct, each hotel at UOR I've stayed at puts a hold on your card based on number of days if you ask to include charging privlages. That has been my experience anyway and as @JoeCamel mentioned, they won't put a hold if you decline charging back to your room.

I've also been told you can specify an amount if you want them to adjust how much of a hold they put on your card.

What in hell is a "hold"? I wouldn't put up with that malarkey if I was worth 500 million if it is what it sounds like.
They just started doing this a couple of years ago. If you opt in for charges to your room, the 3 Deluxe hotels hold $200 a night against your credit card on file. So, if you stay for 7 nights, it's a $1400 credit hold on your card. CBBR is $100 a night (I don't know what the hold rate is for Sapphire)...My guess is that some guests were running up charges to their rooms and not paying them, thus the hold policy. Just a guess though...They will ask you when you check in, if you want to be able to charge to your room. You can opt out if you want.....Some people go pretty crazy charging stuff at the pool & pool bars (and the stuff is expensive with 18% service charge plus tips), so I can see why the amount is so high at the Deluxe hotels. CBBR being a family value hotel, guests are probably more conservative with their spending.

They just started doing this a couple of years ago.

Thanks for the explanation. I would rather just hand them $5000.00 cash and ask them to hold it in reserve. I have found that doing anything hinky with a credit card can end in disaster or at least unexpected circumstances.

It has been my experience that cash, however unorthodox, will settle all very quickly. ;)

Thanks for the explanation. I would rather just hand them $5000.00 cash and ask them to hold it in reserve. I have found that doing anything hinky with a credit card can end in disaster or at least unexpected circumstances.

It has been my experience that cash, however unorthodox, will settle all very quickly. ;)
That front desk agent would just about run away from you as soon as you present any form of cash. :lol:

They can't touch it if they want to keep their jobs.

Reactions: JoeCamel
Are you serious?
Well they wouldn't run away, but other than that, yes.

Unless you are using that money to pay for something, they can't take it. Just like a cashier at publix can't take money from someone unless it's for purchase. Companies want to take as much money as they can through credit and they certainly aren't going to have a special "Teebin's 5K" drawer ;)

Basically, if you take money from a customer/guest behind a counter without it being used as payment, it could be considered theft or bribery.

I think the amount is $100 a night for the deluxe as well. We stayed hard rock in August 5 nights. I gave all the kids charging with their room keys for convenience. When I checked there was a $500 hold on my credit card till we checked out. Settled the bill with my debit card on check out. The hold went away that day.

Well they wouldn't run away, but other than that, yes.

Unless you are using that money to pay for something, they can't take it. Just like a cashier at publix can't take money from someone unless it's for purchase. Companies want to take as much money as they can through credit and they certainly aren't going to have a special "Teebin's 5K" drawer ;)

Basically, if you take money from a customer/guest behind a counter without it being used as payment, it could be considered theft or bribery.

You can absolutely use cash as a "hold" or deposit on your room upon check-in. 99.999% of people don't. It would probably require manager assistance, but you can.

They can't force you to use a credit card to stay at a hotel.

You can absolutely use cash as a "hold" or deposit on your room upon check-in. 99.999% of people don't. It would probably require manager assistance, but you can.

They can't force you to use a credit card to stay at a hotel.
Ah, well I was just going off experience I've had at multiple jobs in Orlando. Some simply don't. If that's illegal for them not to, it's beyond my pay grade.

Of course my main point was that a hourly, front desk worker can't do it - Like you said, you need to go through a manager to do a cash hold.

Reactions: UniversalCityFL
Last time I stayed at a budget motel in Orlando I had the option of putting a credit card up for hold or a $50 cash deposit. The cash deposit would be refunded after 9am on checkout. Since I was leaving before 9 I went for the card. This did not involve a manager. It is all up to the hotel on how they handle it.

Reactions: Teebin