Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Captain Marvel (2019)

Brie Larson is a great actress and I've enjoyed her work since The United States of Tara, Scott Pilgrim, and more but this for me is a pass. The more I see, the more its just not meant for me. I hope its great and successful but I don't plan to watch (unless my bae makes me since huge marvel fanboy).

The marketing is fine. My issue is i'm not buying Brie Larson as the character so far.

My issue lies with the character. The fight scene on the train for example shows her throwing a pathetic punch before remembering that she can just blast energy out his fists.

Being incredibly powerful usually results in a boring situation since the stakes are so low.

My issue lies with the character. The fight scene on the train for example shows her throwing a pathetic punch before remembering that she can just blast energy out his fists.

Being incredibly powerful usually results in a boring situation since the stakes are so low.
Especially in an origins movie because the villains are going to be weaker. She'll be much better in End Game where her powers are needed more to save those that died via snap.

Especially in an origins movie because the villains are going to be weaker. She'll be much better in End Game where her powers are needed more to save those that died via snap.
I don’t even think it’s a good idea for such a last-minute, little-known character to play a big role in Endgame. For her to steal the thunder to defeat Thanos from the original characters after their 10 years of build-up would be grossly disappointing. At least let her help the Avengers some but nothing more than that.

While I do agree that it’s more of an issue with the character than the marketing, the marketing is really overselling her. Trying to proudly claim that she will be the face of phase 4 (or is it 5?) before the BO results are even in is pretty overly zealous, isn’t it?

I don’t even think it’s a good idea for such a last-minute, little-known character to play a big role in Endgame. For her to steal the thunder to defeat Thanos from the original characters after their 10 years of build-up would be grossly disappointing. At least let her help the Avengers some but nothing more than that.

I don't think we have to worry about Captain Marvel coming in and single-handedly defeating Thanos and undoing the damage all on her own. INFINITY WAR left us with all the original Avengers still standing at the end for a reason -- it's going to be a team effort.

I don’t even think it’s a good idea for such a last-minute, little-known character to play a big role in Endgame. For her to steal the thunder to defeat Thanos from the original characters after their 10 years of build-up would be grossly disappointing. At least let her help the Avengers some but nothing more than that
That’s why I hope she will be snapped away in her post-credits scene. It would be the greatest twist the MCU has ever pulled off. It’s probably unlikely, but I still think it would be great

That’s why I hope she will be snapped away in her post-credits scene. It would be the greatest twist the MCU has ever pulled off. It’s probably unlikely, but I still think it would be great

Considering some of the powers she has in the comics seeming to be coming into play with the film..I'd somewhat doubt we'd see her snapped.

Or at-least, she may not be around by the time of the snap.

I'm just not getting the hype they are pushing for this movie. I was pretty excited about the movie when the first details were released. Now, not so much. Every day it seems like they are pushing her to the forefront of everything and making her the greatest of all time. After everything leading up to End Game, it just feels wrong.

Yeah, this is the first MCU movie I’m just not excited for.

That said... I’ll be there opening night. I always go to see MCU movies with a group of friends and they’re still excited for it. Mostly because of how it’ll connect to End Game though.

While I do agree that it’s more of an issue with the character than the marketing, the marketing is really overselling her. Trying to proudly claim that she will be the face of phase 4 (or is it 5?) before the BO results are even in is pretty overly zealous, isn’t it?

I think it's gotta be a sacrifice either Cap or Tony to defeat Thanos, little throw back to first Avengers.

I think it's gotta be a sacrifice either Cap or Tony to defeat Thanos, little throw back to first Avengers.

Captain Marvel will obviously have a role to play, but I have to believe it's ultimately going to come down to Steve and/or Tony being the deciding factor in the defeat of Thanos. I don't think anything other than that would feel dramatically earned at this point. So much emphasis has been placed on their fractured relationship that it simply must be one of ENDGAME's most significant lynchpins from an emotional, thematic level.

Captain Marvel will obviously have a role to play, but I have to believe it's ultimately going to come down to Steve and/or Tony being the deciding factor in the defeat of Thanos. I don't think anything other than that would feel dramatically earned at this point. So much emphasis has been placed on their fractured relationship that it simply must be one of ENDGAME's most significant lynchpins from an emotional, thematic level.

My guess is someone has to be sacrificed, Tony goes to do it but Cap says "No you have a kid" or similar

Yeah, this is the first MCU movie I’m just not excited for.

That said... I’ll be there opening night. I always go to see MCU movies with a group of friends and they’re still excited for it. Mostly because of how it’ll connect to End Game though.
My biggest gripe I guess is a sort of power creep.

The one thing that made me prefer the MCU to the DCEU was the fact that the powers were relatively well defined in scope and tight limitations and that the characters were relatively "mortal" (despite how few die other than Infinity War, there's a lot of tension given the characters are frail with few exceptions).

Even somebody like Dr. Strange or Thor whose powers can dominate the stage are limited in the time and scope that they can use those types of "super" powers.

Thanos showed just how frail the Avengers can be against a sort of god-like being.

Captain Marvel seems like the first character whose powers are really far beyond any of the others and start to reach that kind of "god-like being" stage. The way Feige has talked about her, and the way she's been presented, is that she'll have a "Superman" like impact on the MCU.

My problem with that is that I hate how Superman just "solves" every problem in the DCEU. Looking at Justice League and BvS, the worst parts are how easily Superman removes any tension from a scene... as soon as he takes the field, it damages any sense of high stakes.

I don’t see it as a problem. We haven’t even seen the movie to say she’s overpowered. MCU was going to have an overpowered character sooner or later with her or Warlock. She isn’t just going to punch Thanos head off. Did we forget that black widow took on Proxima Midnight with no issues?