Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Captain Marvel (2019)

:rolleyes:
It’s getting the same reviews as every other marvel movie. Making this leap that people are afraid to give it bad reviews is hilarious.

You must have not seen the backlash that the negative reviews of ghostbusters got lol.

As far as captain marvel, im not seeing anyone giving it a downright terrible review.
All the negatives are very luke warm.
But i have seen people be upset that most of the reviews are coming from men.
So, some of the male written reviews are already getting some flak:

I'm so excited to finally see Marvel's first woman superhero movie. I'm less excited about the fact that many of the biggest publications are having men write their #CaptainMarvel reviews. Want proof? Here's a thread of Captain Marvel reviews written by men.#WomensHistoryMonth

— Alyssa Klein (@dj_diabeatic) March 5, 2019

Last edited:
I really liked it. I thought it was a lot of fun. Not my favorite MCU film, but certainly worthy of the franchise. Nick Fury and I react the same when meeting cats. If we're ranking things, I'd give the film a B+ to A-. It's at least as good as the Ant-Mans and Dr. Strange. I went in spoiler free and the film didn't go as I expected it to, which was a big plus.

My top 10 MCU films (that are honestly often shifting around)
1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
2.The Avengers
3.Guardians Of The Galaxy
4. Infinity War
5. Captain America: Civil War
6. Thor: Ragnarok
7. Iron Man
8. Black Panther
9. Spider-Man: Homecoming
10. Captain America: The First Avenger

It often depends on what I've most recently watched and other films move in and out of the top 10. I've been wanting great Marvel films since I was ten years old, so I'm a bit biased toward the franchise and have yet to think of any of them as bad or disappointing. I save those feelings for the pre-Wonder Woman DCU.

Feels like they’re sneaking in a character at the last minute before end game with the most powers she’s had in the comics right off the bat to lead the way when better heroes have been better established and are just better characters on screen and on page. Feels cheap. It’s so close to dues ex machina it makes me cringe.

Which I guess is in line with the way comics unfold, but still. Lazy.

Let's see ENDGAME before going off the rails.

If Captain Marvel just swoops in and single-handedly rectifies the whole situation while the core Avengers are reduced to spectators, then yeah, that's not really very good storytelling and it wouldn't be a satisfying conclusion to the 10+ years of narrative the MCU has built.

I very much doubt that's how it's going to play out. Kevin Feige is one of the most in-tune creative producers in Hollywood, and I have every confidence that ENDGAME is going to attempt to be a terrific payoff for that first Avengers roster of characters.

It's always been like that. I've been with Marvel from the silver age in the 60's, and the mismatches with powers were all over the place even back then.

I liked the movie a lot. The first half is definitely a bit weak, but the second half is very strong. Fun, but flawed. I think the biggest issue is the lack of character building for the Starforce members. I don't think they said Jude Law's character's name (Yon-Rogg) at all during the movie. Still, great performances from Larson, Jackson, and Mendelsohn.

ALL HAIL GOOSE!

Let's see ENDGAME before going off the rails.

If Captain Marvel just swoops in and single-handedly rectifies the whole situation while the core Avengers are reduced to spectators, then yeah, that's not really very good storytelling and it wouldn't be a satisfying conclusion to the 10+ years of narrative the MCU has built.

I very much doubt that's how it's going to play out. Kevin Feige is one of the most in-tune creative producers in Hollywood, and I have every confidence that ENDGAME is going to attempt to be a terrific payoff for that first Avengers roster of characters.

As long as a major hero is permanently killed off, I'll be happy.

New question that has been arised from this film is how long does it take for a Kree to age because there are multiple characters that were in the first Guardians movie retaining their roles and for something that happened 20 years ago.

also just want to point that the actual Captain Marvel who later becomes Spectrum via the comics is Monica Rambeau born in Louisiana to Marie Lambeau aka Carol Danvers best friend in this film so we just got an new introduction for a potential phase 3 character....

Last edited:
I agree with not being too excited, i actually LOVED Brie in Kong Skull Island, and she was incredible in Room. At first i was happy with her casting.
But the trailers to me just look like the green lantern movie. The trailers arent that exciting ( specially with this movie being before end game) and the story doesn't sound that great.
It doesnt have the feeling of wonder that the rest of the MCU has, ( it has nothing to do with Brie, but the movie itself doesnt even feel like an MCU movie)

Common issues pointed out: Brie Larson being "fine" as opposed to comfortably dominating the role, a weak third act confrontation (which is a pretty standard problem with blockbusters in general), and uninspired/weak action sequences.

This is what has me most worried. Brie Larson is very talented and was unbelievably fantastic in Room. But this role doesn’t seem to fit her more drab/monotone personalty that is ideal for drama. “Action star/super hero” and Brie Larson never seemed synonymous with me.

To those that have seen it- does she actually elicit emotion and multi-dimensional personality or is she relatively one dimensional?

I don’t know if captain marvel is supposed to be monotone at all, so maybe it’s a great casting. But certainly the heroes who are multi-faceted with charm are much preferred to me.

This is what has me most worried. Brie Larson is very talented and was unbelievably fantastic in Room. But this role doesn’t seem to fit her more drab/monotone personalty that is ideal for drama. “Action star/super hero” and Brie Larson never seemed synonymous with me.

To those that have seen it- does she actually elicit emotion and multi-dimensional personality or is she relatively one dimensional?

I don’t know if captain marvel is supposed to be monotone at all, so maybe it’s a great casting. But certainly the heroes who are multi-faceted with charm are much preferred to me.

She's good in it.

I took in a matinee today, and I have a few thoughts. These thoughts are likely going to skew negative (even though I did like the movie overall!), so I really want to stress the positive elements right up front.

Tonally, as one would expect from Marvel, this is an extremely easy and enjoyable watch, and most of the moments where the cast members just get to bounce off each other are pretty uniformly good. The friendship that develops between Carol Danvers and Nick Fury is consistently entertaining. I also cannot speak highly enough of Ben Mendelsohn as the chief Skrull, Talos. He does a pretty terrific job of emoting through a fairly elaborate and extensive amount of makeup, and he delivers a fully-formed, nuanced, and engaging character packed with personality. The musical score is another of the film’s standout elements. It’s big, motif-driven, and incorporates electronic elements in unexpected and unique ways to add some atmospheric qualities while still incorporating very classic symphonic techniques. The score is courtesy of relative unknown (at least as far as blockbuster composers are concerned) Pinar Toprak, and her work here instantly marks her as a talent to keep an eye (and ear) on going forward.

Ultimately, the movie’s primary weaknesses for me come in two different areas: the writing (specifically as it relates to the arc and the characterization of the title role) and the execution of the action sequences.

Brie Larson gives about as good a performance as I think could be expected given what was asked of her by the screenplay. There are certain elements of the performance and the movie’s conception of Carol Danvers that do not land for me (see below), but none of that seems to be Larson’s fault; she’s totally game and brings her Oscar-winning dramatic chops to a few key scenes in a pretty impactful way. She’s also not afraid to let herself look silly, which is a refreshing quality of the character... but also one that dovetails into the writing problems.

On a script level, there’s a duality in Carol’s personality here that I don’t think is fully intentional (or if intentional, does not have the desired effect), and it creates an odd tension. She’s meant to be this somewhat guarded soldier whose humanity returns to her as the memories of her past return, but this transition almost seems to be taken for granted, because the script puts cheeky and sarcastic one-liners in her mouth throughout. Those sorts of touches should really only be very gradually peppered in along the way to the completion of a character arc in the third act, when her true personality can really flourish. Either you’re going for the big, transformational character arc, or you’re going for her being goofy and quirky throughout; you can’t really do both, but the movie wants both. If she has her humanity in every way but her memories, what’s the real point of her journey?

I think some people are going to take all that in and lay the blame at Brie Larson’s feet (and some people will have no issues at all, which is fine!), but I genuinely believe it’s a flaw with the conception of the character on the page, not in Larson’s attempt to execute that. She’s actually a lot of fun in the looser beats, but it’s extremely debatable if having so many loose moments all throughout the story is truly the right path for her arc. Her best moments are those ones where the character is able to reconnect with her past, as well as any moments she’s together with Samuel L. Jackon’s Nick Fury; the two have a quite entertaining, buddy-cop type of dynamic, and there’s real chemistry there (though, in fairness, Jackson’s a performer who has chemistry with pretty much anybody he shares a scene with).

You can sort of sense that directors Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck, who come from small-film backgrounds, are immeasurably more comfortable with the scenes of character interaction than they are with the exciting setpieces... which, unfortunately, aren’t all that exciting here. One would assume (though it’s possible one could be wrong!) Boden and Fleck didn’t have a strong vision for what the action should be, from a visual standpoint, so allowed their second unit directors and editors to take the lead there; the result of that is that the action just kind of happens, and doesn’t provide the requisite amount of invention or playfulness that we should be getting from an MCU movie. The action’s not bad, but it’s bland. Flat.

It feels like the writers were finding their footing on this one, which - in fairness - is a little forgivable since this is the character’s first outing, but hopefully the next installment will build on this sometimes-rocky foundation, because there’s stuff to work with here if a more confident hand is applied. It will be very interesting to see how Carol Danvers his handled by different writers in ENDGAME.

Last edited:
To give a ranking on Phase 3, to put it to perspective..

1: Infinity War
2: Vol. 2
3: Doctor Strange
4: Captain Marvel
5: Civil War
6: Black Panther
7: Ant-Man & Wasp
8: Ragnarok

I loved this film. So much better than I thought it'd be, and it's extremely funny for me.

Brie, Sam, and Ben kill it as their characters, and the effects done for deaging was phonemonal (Especially Clark).

I love this film a lot more than I thought I would, and it makes me more excited for Endgame than ever.

Oh, and don't get me started on Goose.

Good movie overall but far from perfect.

First the Good:

The cast is giving it their all. Samuel L and Mendelsohn in particular are having a ton of fun and it shows. Larson is hit or miss, but I think that’s more on the direction and script than her. When she’s allowed to show a personality she’s great.

Everything on Earth, including the fish out of water stuff is also fantastic. The humor overall is solid Marvel fare. Goose is a ton of fun.

The twists and turns of the story are a lot of fun and they do some undermining of expectations well.

The Bad:

The first half our is pretty bad. The movie just takes too long to give Carol any sense of character.

The action is pretty forgettable. A lot of it is also poorly lit? Like I don’t know why so many action scenes have to be so dark.

The script just does not handle Carol’s amnesia all that well. I just don’t think it sells her conflict, nor is it ever really satisfyingly emotional.

The ugly:

Holy crap is a lot of the CGI terrible.

Overall I think it’s a solid, fun movie, but a bit of a missed opportunity to really make Carol’s first outing a great one.

Last edited:
Larson is hit or miss, but I think that’s more on the direction and script than her.

The action is pretty forgettable. A lot of it is also poorly lit? Like I don’t know why so many action scenes have to be so dark.

The script just does not handle Carol’s amnesia all that well. I just don’t think it sells her conflict, nor is it ever really satisfyingly emotional.

The ugly:

Holy crap is a lot of the CGI terrible.

Overall I think it’s a solid, fun movie, but a bit of a missed opportunity to really make Carol’s first outing a great one.

I particularly agree with these points.

With respect to the CGI, it's really strange how dodgy some of the effects are, since the most important 0ne (de-aging Samuel L. Jackson) is flawless. I guess they blew most of their budget on that!

We saw Captain Marvel tonight and I was pleasantly surprised. It was fun and I loved the 90's nostalgia. If this was not the movie leading into End Game, I think I would have liked it even more. The whole thing just felt out of place in the MCU timeline to me and I feel I don't know her enough leading into End Game.