Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Captain Marvel (2019)

Okay so my new top 5.

Captain America Winter Soldier
Avengers
Avengers Age of Ultron
Guardians Of The Galaxy
Ragnarok/Civil War

I say that because Captain Marvel answered plenty of questions from some of the previous movies mentioned for me and their meanings now have greater importance IMO.
As for Captain Marvel, enjoyed it from a standpoint of knowing nothing about her.

Loved all the female roles and the overall flow of the movie. As others have said started slow but picked up. I want to see it again to see if my thoughts change.

I feel like I saw a different movie. Was thrilled to see this, huge fan of the Skrulls... dug their revised place in the universe, but this film was an absolute trainwreck. Seeing the amount of final credited writers confirmed this production must've been a disaster.

Love Brie Larson, but she was miscast. The whole quipping Tony Stark thing felt very forced. The movie is about her discovering her identity - and we never learn what that identity is beyond god powers. All tell, no show. Messy, ugly, convoluted mythologies.

I wouldn't care so much if the movie were better, but this also completely destabilizes the MCU timeline/undermines Nick Fury as a competent character.

Huge props to the Disney marketing/PR team for positioning the film as a referendum on women leading tentpoles (even though Wonder Woman, a far better movie, beat them to the punch). The number of bad faith trolls has made it nigh impossible to criticize the movie in the public square and has primed anyone with a conscience to skew positive in their feelings about it.

Truly a weird scenario.

I don't know really how to feel I'll start with some good stuff and then I'll get bad.

The Good:
- Nick Fury is pretty great and I think his chemistry with Captain Marvel is pretty good.

- Some visuals are pretty breathtaking.

- 3rd Act is actually pretty good.

- Skrulls are pretty interesting and are really well done.

- 1st Post Credit Scene

The Bad:
- Ronan gets absolutely no development at all and is there.

- There's not really any sort of heart or anything to really make me care throughout the movie.

- Brie Larson is kinda wooden in this movie. She is a great actress but I think it has to do with the Writers and Directors who didn't know what they were doing. I'm hoping the Russo Brothers do her some justice as a interesting character in Endgame.

- 1st Act has some absolutely painful dialogue.

- The Action has weird editing and bad zooms and such where you can really see that much of what's going on and it is really all that well done.

- The Villain has no motivation and there's not really to much to the character at all.

- Turns a pretty great/serious scene from another Marvel Movie into a Joke.

My whole thing is 1st act is bad, 2nd act is okay, 3rd act is good. It's just pretty average to me. Nothing really special I just really didn't enjoy it. If you did then good for you. But for me just didn't like it.

5/10

This movie was okay. The first act was really rough and Brie Larson was completely miscast. It felt like she was reading off a teleprompter the whole movie. Sam Jackson and Ben Mendelson were great though. It definitely picked up towards the end and it’s certainly watchable if you like marvel movies.

Heres an interesting fact that some news sites are reporting on.
Only 39% of the opening weekend audience was female, while 61% were male.
Which is curious since the movie was showing such a strong and positive female power message in the ads. I wonder how Brie Larson feels about this.
(And it is also interesting that 55% of wonder woman's opening audience was female in contrast. )

So it ended up being a lot of guys that helped the box office reach 154 million and saved the opening weekend, which is kind of a crazy contrast against the flood of sexist trolls that were attacking the movie some weeks ago. It was a bunch of men that were trying to destroy this movie but then a bunch of other men gave it a huge opening weekend, it is truky kind of crazy.

I still wonder if Brie will feel dissapointed about it, but tge movie basically made half a billion world wide so the trolling had absolutely no effect in the box office.

Which is curious since the movie was showing such a strong and positive female power message in the ads. I wonder how Brie Larson feels about this.
(And it is also interesting that 55% of wonder woman's opening audience was female in contrast. )

So it ended up being a lot of guys that helped the box office reach 154 million and saved the opening weekend, which is kind of a crazy contrast against the flood of sexist trolls that were attacking the movie some weeks ago. It was a bunch of men that were trying to destroy this movie but then a bunch of other men gave it a huge opening weekend, it is truky kind of crazy.

I still wonder if Brie will feel dissapointed about it, but tge movie basically made half a billion world wide so the trolling had absolutely no effect in the box office.

The opening weekend wasn't "saved" though. It was a straight home run. I wouldn't read too much into the gender split v. WW either. What's the split v. the other MCU films? That's the interesting stat.

Why does it matter? It doesn't.

Do men not have wives, daughters,mothers and/or sisters? So why wouldn't they see a movie about a strong female?

I saw this movie over the weekend, and unfortunately I don't have much to add to the conversation.

1. The cast's dynamic was very good. I legitimately could watch the lead Skrull the entire time and watch a movie about his story if given the chance.
2. Holy smokes the de-aging process is mind blowing. I spent time looking for the seams and it felt like they just weren't there.
3. The humor and heart. I never cared for Carol in the comics I read, but this story made me root for her on her journey.
4. The soundtrack was fun.

The bad?

1. Some production design felt stolen from Thor and GotG. I wish the Kree had a more unique look for their culture.
2. Some CGI felt rough, which is odd given Nick Fury's effect was fantastic.
3. Her power set feels vague. She's got the fists and the flying and apparently some enhanced strength/durability.

Overall, the storyline went better than I expected so I'm on board. With her origin out of the way, I look forward to seeing them story develop. Especially with so many characters out there and growing since this is a prequel, it could set up cool stories down the line.

I really liked it. I thought it was a lot of fun. Not my favorite MCU film, but certainly worthy of the franchise. Nick Fury and I react the same when meeting cats. If we're ranking things, I'd give the film a B+ to A-. It's at least as good as the Ant-Mans and Dr. Strange. I went in spoiler free and the film didn't go as I expected it to, which was a big plus.

My top 10 MCU films (that are honestly often shifting around)
1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
2.The Avengers
3.Guardians Of The Galaxy
4. Infinity War
5. Captain America: Civil War
6. Thor: Ragnarok
7. Iron Man
8. Black Panther
9. Spider-Man: Homecoming
10. Captain America: The First Avenger

It often depends on what I've most recently watched and other films move in and out of the top 10. I've been wanting great Marvel films since I was ten years old, so I'm a bit biased toward the franchise and have yet to think of any of them as bad or disappointing. I save those feelings for the pre-Wonder Woman DCU.

I feel like Avengers needs to be #1 and winter soldier goes to 2. I think that marvel has done it so well for so many years now that people are forgetting just how unprecedented an undertaking like Avengers was, and how well it pulled it off. Unite multiple huge characters and storylines into one, yet keeping each true to the individual arcs- just fantastic. The things that most any other marvel movie does well (except winter soldier) and gets praised for mostly have thier counterpart in the Avengers.

I may be an outlier though, I loved the cap and Thor origin stories and lots of folks hated Thor, especially.

Back on topic: I have not seen captain marvel yet.

Why does it matter? It doesn't.

Do men not have wives, daughters,mothers and/or sisters? So why wouldn't they see a movie about a strong female?

You have this backwards,

It matters in the sense that all of that sexist trolling and the campaigns to attack the movie online and the hundreds of videos on youtube demonizing Brie Larson were useless in persuading any guys from not watching it.
This is literally hundreds of guys literally wasting their time for something that had no effect on anyone.
Rotten tomatoes should not have taken out their "want to see" review system. The trolling accomplished nothing.
It was literally a wasted effort .

But at the same time it matters that the strong emphasis in the marketing in the strong female hero and the strong push that Brie Larson had to have girls watch this movie wasnt as effective as it needed to be either.
The movie still made a lot of money but it was the same audience that always watches these films.

So the point was, all that toxic online drama, and all that hate didn't have any effect and didnt change anything.
But at the same time the positive marketing and Brie's efforts werent that much effective either.

Basically people online argued and fought on both sides for absolutely nothing lol.

The opening weekend wasn't "saved" though. It was a straight home run. I wouldn't read too much into the gender split v. WW either. What's the split v. the other MCU films? That's the interesting stat.

Well it was being predicted a week ago as making as little as 80 million. I remember some boxoffice articles saying that it was going to be below 100 mil.

So it was pushed a lot higher than the latest predictions had it as

Ever heard of the term incel.

Wait What does incel mean? I dont think anyone here knows what it means, is that like related the "alt right"?
Because i read the alt right was behind the trolling of this movie.

Last edited by a moderator:

I've always wondered how they get these numbers, is someone making notes as people enter theater?

I enjoyed it. Brie was fine and didn’t see any issues with her acting.

. Biggest issues seems to be with directing and story line. Why are the Skrulls now some woe is me alien species? That was dumb. They explained her origin all wrong and made it far too complicated. Going back and forth with memories wasn’t a great idea to tell us about her. They should have just done it like Strange.

Last edited:
You have this backwards,

It matters in the sense that all of that sexist trolling and the campaigns to attack the movie online and the hundreds of videos on youtube demonizing Brie Larson were useless in persuading any guys from not watching it.
This is literally hundreds of guys literally wasting their time for something that had no effect on anyone.
Rotten tomatoes should not have taken out their "want to see" review system. The trolling accomplished nothing.
It was literally a wasted effort .

But at the same time it matters that the strong emphasis in the marketing in the strong female hero and the strong push that Brie Larson had to have girls watch this movie wasnt as effective as it needed to be either.
The movie still made a lot of money but it was the same audience that always watches these films.

So the point was, all that toxic online drama, and all that hate didn't have any effect and didnt change anything.
But at the same time the positive marketing and Brie's efforts werent that much effective either.

Basically people online argued and fought on both sides for absolutely nothing lol.

Well it was being predicted a week ago as making as little as 80 million. I remember some boxoffice articles saying that it was going to be below 100 mil.

So it was pushed a lot higher than the latest predictions had it as

Wait What does incel mean? I dont think anyone here knows what it means, is that like related the "alt right"?
Because i read the alt right was behind the trolling of this movie.
Incel is short for "Involuntaryly Celibate". They are violently mysoginistic men, usually centered around, but not limited to, the video game demographic.

The article linked below sheds some light into what they are, and what they can do.

Scott Beierle: Florida Yoga Studio Gunman Likened Himself to 'Incel' Killer Elliott Rodger

This movie screamed mediocrity and is my least favorite so far of Phase 3. Oh my God they ruined the Skrulls and I am so freaking pessimistic with Doctor Doom's inevitable MCU appearance. Forced plot narratives that open up other plot holes not to mention retconning in the most disappointing of ways. This is something that could've done well in Phase 1 but I just don't see how we can keep rooting for generic formulaic films. Captain Marvel deserves better.

Oh my God they ruined the Skrulls and I am so freaking pessimistic with Doctor Doom's inevitable MCU appearance.

I think it's a bit too soon to say they've "ruined the Skrulls". Who's to say that some of the Skrulls aren't bad/villainous? Humans tend to be a mix of good and bad. So why can't Skrulls?

^ Because I actually appreciate the source material. Skrulls are evil, a plague of a race and threat to the cosmos. They're strong, savage fighters. Seeing them turned into hopeless refugees from genius, menacing aliens is a punch to the gut. Then again, I shouldn't be surprised as it isn't the first time I've been subject to this from the MCU.

Talos is someone who has gone head to head with Hulk. The Skrulls had infiltrated Earth right under the Avengers' noses. The moment he shape shifted I knew they had no long term plans for him. What a bummer.

I think it's premature to call Skrulls ruined. Multiple Skrulls landed on Earth-maybe they're invading while Talos only wanted to get to his family? Or the Skrulls, aided by Mar-vell's tech, go out into space looking for vengeance? There's plenty of ways to make it work. I really hope we see a twist of someone dying and finding out they've been a Skrull and then build up to a Secret Invasion storyline.

Also, for Capt. Marvel to come into her own, she had to reject her Kree in someway. What easier way to do that than to make them imperialistic and bloodthirsty rather than the noble warrior heros she saw them as? It works for her story, which ultimately everything in the movie revolved around.