Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Captain Marvel (2019)

Honestly; why I love how Skrulls are handled, is because it sets an example of not judging EVERY group of Skrull's as the enemy.

It sets the space (pun unintended) to allow Marvel to flesh out the Skrulls, to establish different factions, mentalities, and beliefs. It could even set the stage towards a Secret War, set across multiple films and without needing to be apart of one giant film.

Will there likely be Skrull's who do stray into the darker, more evil path? I would assume so, especially if Captain Marvel decides to go and give root to showing that.

Honestly; why I love how Skrulls are handled, is because it sets an example of not judging EVERY group of Skrull's as the enemy.

It sets the space (pun unintended) to allow Marvel to flesh out the Skrulls, to establish different factions, mentalities, and beliefs. It could even set the stage towards a Secret War, set across multiple films and without needing to be apart of one giant film.

Will there likely be Skrull's who do stray into the darker, more evil path? I would assume so, especially if Captain Marvel decides to go and give root to showing that.
What’s most likely to happen is we never hear about Skrulls ever again as we do with most MCU villains.

^ Because I actually appreciate the source material. Skrulls are evil, a plague of a race and threat to the cosmos. They're strong, savage fighters. Seeing them turned into hopeless refugees from genius, menacing aliens is a punch to the gut. Then again, I shouldn't be surprised as it isn't the first time I've been subject to this from the MCU.

Talos is someone who has gone head to head with Hulk. The Skrulls had infiltrated Earth right under the Avengers' noses. The moment he shape shifted I knew they had no long term plans for him. What a bummer.

I'm a fan of the source material as well. Secret Invasion is a really great storyline with lots of potential and I still think that potential is still there!

However, I can totally respect your view of things as well and can see how maybe they seem to have been "neutered" so to speak.

For me tho, I want to wait and see what other plans they have in store for them.

Finally got around to seeing this movie tonight, it's been a busy few weeks. Enjoyed it overall, but I feel as if some things weren't explained all that well. The first 30-40 minutes do drag, as many of you pointed out (I went into this movie spoiler-free still). Was great to finally see Nick Fury in an expanded role and Samuel L. Jackson gave a great performance. While Brie Larson did do very well, was she the right choice? I still have doubts. Someone like Jennifer Lawrence probably could've done a little more with the character. I also could've seen Olivia Wilde or Alicia Vikander in the role. But maybe Brie gave them exactly what they wanted out of the character, who knows.

As for Carol/Captain Marvel as a character... i'm not sure how I feel about her yet. She's basically Superman and I don't like Superman. She's too powerful of a force imo. I feel like up until now, most, if not all of the major characters in the MCU have their great strengths, but they also have their weaknesses and/or liabilities. Some of them can only do so much. So far as we've seen, she has God-like powers without having a real distinct weakness.

Overall I came away from the movie pumped for End Game, so it did it's job. As far as Phase 3 goes... i'm not sure exact rankings. It would probably be about in the middle. I wasn't a big fan of GotG 2 and while fun, I felt Ragnarok and Ant-Man & the Wasp didn't add much to the overall Universe like IW, BP, DS, SM:H, CM. Captain Marvel actually adds A LOT of context to the overall universe. Yes, AM&W did add a bit with the whole quantum realm stuff and the post credit scene, but I feel like ultimately it was more or less just popcorn fare and was skippable in the grand scheme of the MCU.

^ Because I actually appreciate the source material. Skrulls are evil, a plague of a race and threat to the cosmos. They're strong, savage fighters. Seeing them turned into hopeless refugees from genius, menacing aliens is a punch to the gut. Then again, I shouldn't be surprised as it isn't the first time I've been subject to this from the MCU.

Talos is someone who has gone head to head with Hulk. The Skrulls had infiltrated Earth right under the Avengers' noses. The moment he shape shifted I knew they had no long term plans for him. What a bummer.
I actually liked the way they used the Skrulls here. It's how they use them going forward that will matter more to me.

Watched it again while needing to waste time today. Theater was relatively busy for a Tuesday afternoon. Liked it a little bit more with the info from last time and being easier to follow. Honestly can’t wait for Carol to try the same tricks on Thanos and him just brush it off. Taking of standard Kree soldiers doesn’t really show her powers being that overpowered IMO.

Watched it again while needing to waste time today. Theater was relatively busy for a Tuesday afternoon. Liked it a little bit more with the info from last time and being easier to follow. Honestly can’t wait for Carol to try the same tricks on Thanos and him just brush it off. Taking of standard Kree soldiers doesn’t really show her powers being that overpowered IMO.

She flew through a space ship.

Finally got around to seeing this movie tonight, it's been a busy few weeks. Enjoyed it overall, but I feel as if some things weren't explained all that well. The first 30-40 minutes do drag, as many of you pointed out (I went into this movie spoiler-free still). Was great to finally see Nick Fury in an expanded role and Samuel L. Jackson gave a great performance. While Brie Larson did do very well, was she the right choice? I still have doubts. Someone like Jennifer Lawrence probably could've done a little more with the character. I also could've seen Olivia Wilde or Alicia Vikander in the role. But maybe Brie gave them exactly what they wanted out of the character, who knows.

As for Carol/Captain Marvel as a character... i'm not sure how I feel about her yet. She's basically Superman and I don't like Superman. She's too powerful of a force imo. I feel like up until now, most, if not all of the major characters in the MCU have their great strengths, but they also have their weaknesses and/or liabilities. Some of them can only do so much. So far as we've seen, she has God-like powers without having a real distinct weakness.

Overall I came away from the movie pumped for End Game, so it did it's job. As far as Phase 3 goes... i'm not sure exact rankings. It would probably be about in the middle. I wasn't a big fan of GotG 2 and while fun, I felt Ragnarok and Ant-Man & the Wasp didn't add much to the overall Universe like IW, BP, DS, SM:H, CM. Captain Marvel actually adds A LOT of context to the overall universe. Yes, AM&W did add a bit with the whole quantum realm stuff and the post credit scene, but I feel like ultimately it was more or less just popcorn fare and was skippable in the grand scheme of the MCU.

I actually liked the way they used the Skrulls here. It's how they use them going forward that will matter more to me.

I've finally got around to watching it. This sums up pretty much all my thoughts.

Overall, I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would have. I'm not a big fan of origin stories and this was no exception and fell into some of those tropes but I'm excited to see where they take the character.