Cedar Point | Page 19 | Inside Universal Forums

Cedar Point

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Not terribly surprised, the writing was on the wall

Buuut, I'm greatly intrigued by the wording in the statement

I think the days of an unreliable, hydraulic launched, 17 second strata are certainly over

I don't think Top Thrill Dragster is "leaving permanently" though

Reactions: Parkscope Joe
Well, Intamin's website now lists both Xcellerator and Top Thrill Dragster as LSM coasters, so there you go...

I think TTD will get the LSM treatment but I don’t think the website means anything. They also list Kingda Ka and Rita as LSM launches but those are hydraulic. “Maybe they’re converting them all to LSM” maybe but the oldest internet archive post from august 2020 shows all four listed as LSM.

Well, Intamin's website now lists both Xcellerator and Top Thrill Dragster as LSM coasters, so there you go...

That doesn't mean anything as there are a handful of hydraulic coasters listed(kindga ka, formula rosa, storm runner, zaturn (closed 2017), rita, speed monster) and I doubt they all will be changed.
Looks like i was beaten lol

I think TTD will get the LSM treatment but I don’t think the website means anything. They also list Kingda Ka and Rita as LSM launches but those are hydraulic. “Maybe they’re converting them all to LSM” maybe but the oldest internet archive post from august 2020 shows all four listed as LSM.

While I didn't doubt you, I was hoping that they would change the launch type and then rework the layout to be more Taron than up/down/brakes. It wasn't based in any kind of reality but I still had hopes. I love the launch of TTD but I don't want to wait forever for a 20 second one-trick pony ride. Still, this is far better than losing another coaster at the park and capital expenditure was set aside for the new wild mouse and restaurant before, what I can only assume will happen, the addition of a major coaster in the next year or two.

Is anyone going to be hitting up Halloweekends Haunt at Cedar Point? Opening night is Thursday. It could be an interesting year with CP doing two new houses. Well, 1 and half new houses. Eerie Estate is getting a bit of a re imagined theme rather than being completely new. Also, very interesting that both Cedar Point and King's Island continue to be down the total number of houses from past years.

So let's come back to TTD.

ElToroRyan is hearing that Intamin is hands off on the project, as another group (unclear who) may be going in to determine what could happen. Speculation could point to Intrasys, as they handled Maverick's LSMs, but it seems track is being removed on the site?

To go deeper: Fur Dozy on ParkFans (Dot) Net has come a bit more clearer on the subject, specifically citing that Intamin had no knowledge at al of TTD not reopening.

Time to give another update: Track is now being removed from the unload curve to the launch, scenic is now being removed from that of the area around it, and there are no electrical markers being labeled at all around the launch section.

If they are indeed switching to LSM, removing the track to take to a fab shop to mount new brackets is probably easier than doing it on site.

Screamscape has some videos from Intamin showing off a new vertical launch system. While I realize that the chances are remote due to the work required (adding launches onto vertical track, stress on the tower that wasn't originally incorporated, etc.), this would be be a fun way to replace the hydraulic launch. Launch out of the station and maybe a add a small bunny hill just to give something different. Then, as you start going up the tower, the vertical launch kicks in and you take off like a rocket. IF they wanted a 500 foot high tower (still don't see that happening), they could do that more easily.

The biggest thing is whether or not they want the speed and height record.

Reactions: shiekra38
Screamscape has some videos from Intamin showing off a new vertical launch system. While I realize that the chances are remote due to the work required (adding launches onto vertical track, stress on the tower that wasn't originally incorporated, etc.), this would be be a fun way to replace the hydraulic launch. Launch out of the station and maybe a add a small bunny hill just to give something different. Then, as you start going up the tower, the vertical launch kicks in and you take off like a rocket. IF they wanted a 500 foot high tower (still don't see that happening), they could do that more easily.

They do have options

Intamins LSM's with a vertical spike and forward backward launch

S&S air launch

Intamin's vertical launch system

If Dragster has indeed taken the "new coaster" budget for 2024 then they have some cash to work with

Everyone needs to realize the project is switching the launch system to LSM, a retheme with a redo of the corkscrew/dragster midway to make it nicer, and probably cover a portion of the queue. It won't have a vertical launch as they would be removing the vertical track on the launch side if they were doing that. They are not making it taller as adding height to a tall structure is very expensive and would likely require a lot of foundation work. A swing launch would be a nightmare as you would need to realign all the track along the launch, requiring lots of new footers along with another massive tower. The simple answer is the correct answer. I hate to break it to you, but this is real life and not roller coaster tycoon.

Side note: I love how ridiculous unfounded rumors get with Cedar Point. Just a month ago everyone was swearing intamin was not involved and surprise, surprise the original designers are helping with the redo based upon actual information.

Everyone needs to realize the project is switching the launch system to LSM, a retheme with a redo of the corkscrew/dragster midway to make it nicer, and probably cover a portion of the queue. It won't have a vertical launch as they would be removing the vertical track on the launch side if they were doing that. They are not making it taller as adding height to a tall structure is very expensive and would likely require a lot of foundation work. A swing launch would be a nightmare as you would need to realign all the track along the launch, requiring lots of new footers along with another massive tower. The simple answer is the correct answer. I hate to break it to you, but this is real life and not roller coaster tycoon.

Side note: I love how ridiculous unfounded rumors get with Cedar Point. Just a month ago everyone was swearing intamin was not involved and surprise, surprise the original designers are helping with the redo based upon actual information.
I kinda laugh but feel bad for all of the thoosie pipe dreams insisting that Cedar Point will take the opportunity to make the "world's best launch coaster" by adding a swing launch, an airtime hill, inversions, and a backspike. They're most likely just going to replace the launch track for LSMs, do some general maintenance and sprucing up and call it a day. This is likely going to be something akin to what they're doing Monty at Knott's but not replacing the entire track.

I am glad to see Intamin working with Cedar Fair again. Hopefully this will open up the door to allowing more Intamin coasters at the other Cedar Fair parks.

Reactions: shiekra38
I kinda laugh but feel bad for all of the thoosie pipe dreams insisting that Cedar Point will take the opportunity to make the "world's best launch coaster" by adding a swing launch, an airtime hill, inversions, and a backspike. They're most likely just going to replace the launch track for LSMs, do some general maintenance and sprucing up and call it a day. This is likely going to be something akin to what they're doing Monty at Knott's but not replacing the entire track.

I am glad to see Intamin working with Cedar Fair again. Hopefully this will open up the door to allowing more Intamin coasters at the other Cedar Fair parks.
Unless Intamin isn't doing the launch

But yes, I tend to buy into more of a "Red Force" situation where it's just LSMs, a rolling launch, new restraints, station, and queue

Yet, I'm still holding out hope for something more substantial, we'll see

Reactions: Freak