Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Cedar Point

Wow, CP's media days always seem to be overcast/foggy. I guess that's why they open so much later than other seasonal parks.
Heck, not only opening days. I used to live a mile or so from Lake Erie and about 30 minutes from the park. Probably went there two or three times every month it was open. There's times I wore sweatshirts and/or coats right in the middle of summer. It can get really hot there in the summer, or really cold, rainy and miserable. That's Lake Erie weather.

Heck, not only opening days. I used to live a mile or so from Lake Erie and about 30 minutes from the park. Probably went there two or three times every month it was open. There's times I wore sweatshirts and/or coats right in the middle of summer. It can get really hot there in the summer, or really cold, rainy and miserable. That's Lake Erie weather.
I can vouch for the Lake Erie weather because that’s what it’s doing for us now, preventing us from having spring. We seem to be in perpetual winter here in Buffalo. I would love to be that close to CP I would probably be there most of the summer.

I can vouch for the Lake Erie weather because that’s what it’s doing for us now, preventing us from having spring. We seem to be in perpetual winter here in Buffalo. I would love to be that close to CP I would probably be there most of the summer.
Yeah, that bad weather extended down to here too. No spring so far. We went to Kennywood for AP only day yesterday and it was chilly, windy and gray. Looked like late November. The first four months of the year, to date, have broken all precipitation records dating back to 1839, when they first started recording temps and precipitation. Plus the avg. temperature is minus 6 degrees over that 4 month period. Global chilling yes, global warming no, at least here.....Back when I lived by Cedar Point they had just opened their first coaster, Blue Streak. Can you imagine a Cedar Point with 0 or just one coaster. Back then they were kind of trying to copy Disneyland. It was a very much different type of park, in layout, attractions, and they actually had a lot of good shows and entertainment in the 70's. A completely different park, by far.....And, Sea World & Shamu were in Geauga Lake, right outside Cleveland, not all that far from Lake Erie.

Last edited:
So I’m at the Pony after the annual pass holder event at Cedar Point. Some thoughts:
  1. New food options are solid in Frontiertown. With some small tweaks it’ll be some of the best food in any regional park. (Chicken fingers were slightly over cooked and thus dry, but the flavor was great.)
  2. The park looks fantastic. Lots of work has been done and new theming added in Frontiertown.
  3. The walk around characters of Chess, Blackjack, and Digger are huge hits. Guests love them and they’re super cool. Hope they stay around the rest of the year.
  4. Annual Pass processing, deployment, and benefits are vastly improved. Two years ago the AP preview night was a disaster with limited TO PURCHASE food and drink and cranky TMs. Now it has free food samples, free drinks, TMs having fun, and it's an event I cannot stop raving about.
  5. Maverick's reinstated effects in the launch tunnel are a great start and can't wait for more to be added next year. Hopefully we get some fog effects and strobes.
  6. I'm spoiled now after riding Maverick 8 times with minimal waits.
  7. One big complaint I do have is the addition of Chick-Fil-A to FrontierTown. It didn't make much sense to add a restaurant to the park that's closed on Sundays in the past, and it still doesn't. There's plenty of other chicken places you could contract to move in there so it seems like a missed opportunity.
Ok time for Steel Vengeance.

Lets talk about what Steel Vengeance is not. It's not Millennium Force, Apollo's Chariot, or Shivering Timbers. It is a bowl coaster just as Mean Streak was, and as such it inherits some of that design's flaws. If you enjoy speeding through portions of the park on rides like HRRR, Mako, and The Voyage then this will be "just" a very very good coaster and might not transcend the hype.

SV is a masterfully designed ride that doesn't fall into the issues other mega wooden or "hybrid" coasters fall into (god I hate that name). The ride is intense but not painful, lots of ejector airtime that doesn't then force you back into the seat, and forces that focus around the torso and minimize leg/ankle bashing that occurs on some RMCs. The first three hills feature insane airtime and the outer banked turn is inspired. The post mid course break segments inside the structure are brilliant, offering loads of airtime, lots of chopper moments, and enough inversions/almost inversions to leave you wondering if you are upside down or right side up.

I've only been on two other RMCs, Outlaw Run and New Texas Giant. Steel Vengeance combines both those rides both physically in elements and also in length. It's really a greatest hits of RMC (if only it featured a launched segment).

The main queue for SV is surprisingly small but we later noticed a set up that would take the queue behind the entrance sign, through some temporary queues, and into backstage areas/haunt locations. Queue has some small theming added in addition to modern design techniques.

One major complaint I have with SV is the location of the on ride photo. It doesn't capture the ride intensity very well, focuses on the torso too much, and if anyone has their hands raised you can't see the other guests. See the attached photo for an example.

Overall Steel Vengeance is a ride tied with Maverick for my favorite ride in the park (with it being number one depending on how I feel and how its running). It tops X2 on my steel coaster list and probably comes it at #2 overall.

[edit]

Forgot to mention one thing, Steel Vengeance is seeing some odd issues right now causing reduced operation (one or two trains out of three) and some shutdowns. Get to the park an hour prior to opening (Cedar Point Shores entrance) then haul it to SV for first rides before it encounters any downtime and causes long lines.

Attachments

• IMG_0737.JPG
    IMG_0737.JPG
    979.5 KB · Views: 9
Last edited by a moderator:
So I’m at the Pony after the annual pass holder event at Cedar Point. Some thoughts:
  1. New food options are solid in Frontiertown. With some small tweaks it’ll be some of the best food in any regional park. (Chicken fingers were slightly over cooked and thus dry, but the flavor was great.)
  2. The park looks fantastic. Lots of work has been done and new theming added in Frontiertown.
  3. The walk around characters of Chess, Blackjack, and Digger are huge hits. Guests love them and they’re super cool. Hope they stay around the rest of the year.
  4. Annual Pass processing, deployment, and benefits are vastly improved. Two years ago the AP preview night was a disaster with limited TO PURCHASE food and drink and cranky TMs. Now it has free food samples, free drinks, TMs having fun, and it's an event I cannot stop raving about.
  5. Maverick's reinstated effects in the launch tunnel are a great start and can't wait for more to be added next year. Hopefully we get some fog effects and strobes.
  6. I'm spoiled now after riding Maverick 8 times with minimal waits.
  7. One big complaint I do have is the addition of Chick-Fil-A to FrontierTown. It didn't make much sense to add a restaurant to the park that's closed on Sundays in the past, and it still doesn't. There's plenty of other chicken places you could contract to move in there so it seems like a missed opportunity.
Ok time for Steel Vengeance.

Lets talk about what Steel Vengeance is not. It's not Millennium Force, Apollo's Chariot, or Shivering Timbers. It is a bowl coaster just as Mean Streak was, and as such it inherits some of that design's flaws. If you enjoy speeding through portions of the park on rides like HRRR, Mako, and The Voyage then this will be "just" a very very good coaster and might not transcend the hype.

SV is a masterfully designed ride that doesn't fall into the issues other mega wooden or "hybrid" coasters fall into (god I hate that name). The ride is intense but not painful, lots of ejector airtime that doesn't then force you back into the seat, and forces that focus around the torso and minimize leg/ankle bashing that occurs on some RMCs. The first three hills feature insane airtime and the outer banked turn is inspired. The post mid course break segments inside the structure are brilliant, offering loads of airtime, lots of chopper moments, and enough inversions/almost inversions to leave you wondering if you are upside down or right side up.

I've only been on two other RMCs, Outlaw Run and New Texas Giant. Steel Vengeance combines both those rides both physically in elements and also in length. It's really a greatest hits of RMC (if only it featured a launched segment).

The main queue for SV is surprisingly small but we later noticed a set up that would take the queue behind the entrance sign, through some temporary queues, and into backstage areas/haunt locations. Queue has some small theming added in addition to modern design techniques.

One major complaint I have with SV is the location of the on ride photo. It doesn't capture the ride intensity very well, focuses on the torso too much, and if anyone has their hands raised you can't see the other guests. See the attached photo for an example.

Overall Steel Vengeance is a ride tied with Maverick for my favorite ride in the park (with it being number one depending on how I feel and how its running). It tops X2 on my steel coaster list and probably comes it at #2 overall.

[edit]

Forgot to mention one thing, Steel Vengeance is seeing some odd issues right now causing reduced operation (one or two trains out of three) and some shutdowns. Get to the park an hour prior to opening (Cedar Point Shores entrance) then haul it to SV for first rides before it encounters any downtime and causes long lines.

Nice review, sounds like you had a blast.

Looking forward to my first trip to CP later in the year, Maverick, Top Thrill, Gate Keeper, Millenium Force, Magnum are all coasters Ive been itching to ride and now I get Steel Vengence too. @Mad Dog hope you're up to it :wave::wave:

Nice review, sounds like you had a blast.

Looking forward to my first trip to CP later in the year, Maverick, Top Thrill, Gate Keeper, Millenium Force, Magnum are all coasters Ive been itching to ride and now I get Steel Vengence too. @Mad Dog hope you're up to it :wave::wave:

When are you going?

So, checked my dates and it will indeed be Sept 2nd, Labor Day, that I hit Cedar Point.

This is a once only, one shot, one day deal, I cant see me getting the chance to go again and I had to work hard to fit it in to an already hectic trip.

I have always wanted to go and hit up some of the parks amazing coasters, so I am thrilled to be able to make the trip with my good buddy @Mad Dog.

So bearing all of that in mind, would I be advised to pony up and pay the $85 +TAX for Fast Lane+ to get the most out of my day? Will Labor Day impact crowds or will it be quiet as the season draws to an end?

So, checked my dates and it will indeed be Sept 2nd, Labor Day, that I hit Cedar Point.

This is a once only, one shot, one day deal, I cant see me getting the chance to go again and I had to work hard to fit it in to an already hectic trip.

I have always wanted to go and hit up some of the parks amazing coasters, so I am thrilled to be able to make the trip with my good buddy @Mad Dog.

So bearing all of that in mind, would I be advised to pony up and pay the $85 +TAX for Fast Lane+ to get the most out of my day? Will Labor Day impact crowds or will it be quiet as the season draws to an end?

Since it’s a one time only. Yes. Definitely get the express pass. Treat yourself. When the day is over you’ll be saying , “I’m so glad I decided to spend the extra money” trust me.

Go to Discount Drug Mart in the Cleveland area to pick up a park ticket for $55. Get FastLane+. Go eat at Melt (trust me here). Ride the rides. Get there early. Stay late. Have a blast.

Go to Discount Drug Mart in the Cleveland area to pick up a park ticket for $55. Get FastLane+. Go eat at Melt (trust me here). Ride the rides. Get there early. Stay late. Have a blast.
Thanks for the tips. We both bought our park tickets last year when there was a discount offer, and I got a free parking pass and quick service meal with mine. . We're driving from my home in Pittsburgh, so we'll be leaving early in the morning, and driving back at the end of the day. It's a long day, but I've done it numerous times in the past. . In the past when I've gone from here it was usually an apx. a 3 1/2 hour drive if I didn't get stuck on the causeway traffic. I was thinking that it might be best to hurry to the back of the park to ride Steel Vengeance first thing. What's your thoughts on that? Probably get fast lane plus since I've usually only been able to get on 7 or 8 good coasters on a busy day without it, and this will probably be Marks only trip ever to CP. ...I don't remember eating at Melt in the past. Where is it in the park & what type of menu (melts?) ?....and, do you have an idea how busy Labor Day Monday is. We avoided Sunday since that appeared to be the busier of the two days available to us.

Thanks for the tips. We both bought our park tickets last year when there was a discount offer, and I got a free parking pass and quick service meal with mine. . We're driving from my home in Pittsburgh, so we'll be leaving early in the morning, and driving back at the end of the day. It's a long day, but I've done it numerous times in the past. . In the past when I've gone from here it was usually an apx. a 3 1/2 hour drive if I didn't get stuck on the causeway traffic. I was thinking that it might be best to hurry to the back of the park to ride Steel Vengeance first thing. What's your thoughts on that? Probably get fast lane plus since I've usually only been able to get on 7 or 8 good coasters on a busy day without it, and this will probably be Marks only trip ever to CP. ...I don't remember eating at Melt in the past. Where is it in the park & what type of menu (melts?) ?....and, do you have an idea how busy Labor Day Monday is. We avoided Sunday since that appeared to be the busier of the two days available to us.

I mean I always advise to get a cheap hotel and stay overnight so you can get to the park early as possible for first rides. Get to SV first, for sure, and park by Cedar Point Shores to avoid the walk to the back.

Melt is new last year, it's a Cleveland institution.

Review: Melt Bar & Grilled ~ Cedar Point - WildGravity Travels

I mean I always advise to get a cheap hotel and stay overnight so you can get to the park early as possible for first rides. Get to SV first, for sure, and park by Cedar Point Shores to avoid the walk to the back.

Melt is new last year, it's a Cleveland institution.

Review: Melt Bar & Grilled ~ Cedar Point - WildGravity Travels
Thanks. Is Cedar Point Shores a section of the regular parking lot? Is there an admission gate there?.....Melt being a bar too, I'm sure that will attract Mark. :lol:

Thanks. Is Cedar Point Shores a section of the regular parking lot? Is there an admission gate there?.....Melt being a bar too, I'm sure that will attract Mark. :lol:

Shores you go around the back of the park towards Hotel Breakers, the entrance to the park there is near Magnum.

And yes, Melt is a bar with craft beer and mixed drinks. Plus LOTS of Cedar Point history on the walls.

Shores you go around the back of the park towards Hotel Breakers, the entrance to the park there is near Magnum.

And yes, Melt is a bar with craft beer and mixed drinks. Plus LOTS of Cedar Point history on the walls.
What's your go to item and brewsky at Melt? Booking a trip to the Point right now. :)

Cool. Probably some of the stuff that used to be in the old museum.......Love Magnum, especially the air time bunny hops.

What's your go to item and brewsky at Melt? Booking a trip to the Point right now. :)

Depends on what this year's menu is, but on last years I was a fan of the Wake & Bacon (cheddar, egg, bacon), The Dude Abides (provolone, romano, mozz wedgies, meatballs, marinara, garlic), Firecracker Chicken (diablo fried chicken, avocado, grilled pineapple, pepper jack cheese), and the Wet Hot Buffalo Chicken (fried chicken in buffalo sauce, blue cheese slaw, crumbled blue cheese, and ranch dip).

For beers there are the exclusive beers from Brew Kettle for Cedar Point themed to the rides plus good local craft beer. My go to is Head Hunter IPA from Fat Heads.

Cool. Probably some of the stuff that used to be in the old museum.......Love Magnum, especially the air time bunny hops.

Actually this was all from storage. It includes old height signs, park maps, park photos, and more. Plus the host stand has a mural of all the old logos for attractions including the never built Banshee!

Depends on what this year's menu is, but on last years I was a fan of the Wake & Bacon (cheddar, egg, bacon), The Dude Abides (provolone, romano, mozz wedgies, meatballs, marinara, garlic), Firecracker Chicken (diablo fried chicken, avocado, grilled pineapple, pepper jack cheese), and the Wet Hot Buffalo Chicken (fried chicken in buffalo sauce, blue cheese slaw, crumbled blue cheese, and ranch dip).

For beers there are the exclusive beers from Brew Kettle for Cedar Point themed to the rides plus good local craft beer. My go to is Head Hunter IPA from Fat Heads.

Actually this was all from storage. It includes old height signs, park maps, park photos, and more. Plus the host stand has a mural of all the old logos for attractions including the never built Banshee!

Head Hunter is a great IPA. They recently stopped distro in Florida :(

So, even though I'm more than a year out. Would you recommend staying onsite vs staying at a cheaper hotel down the street? Is the hour early entry a huge advantage and worth the extra $? Or does it make more sense to get a cheaper hotel, and just splurge on the fast pass?

The one time I went, we work up at 5 am in Detroit, drove to Cedar Point, stayed till midnight, and then drove back. However I was in my young 20s at the time. Now I'll have my wife and daughter with me. Was thinking on staying two nights. Just not sure if I'd rather stay onsite or offsite.