Children of Blood and Bone | Inside Universal Forums

Children of Blood and Bone

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Nick

Staff
Sep 22, 2011
Orlando
Originally to be a Fox 2000 release (before being shuttered), Disney has moved the rights of Children of Blood and Bone over to LucasFilm and will be the first non-Star Wars, non-Indiana Jones project to go into development at LucasFilm in the Disney-era.

Brief synopsis:
Set in a world where an evil king orders the culling of Maji—practitioners of various elemental magics—Children of Blood and Bone follows a young orphaned Maji named Zélie, who sets out to bring magic back to her people and strike back against the king who subjugated them.

Kay Oyegun Children Of Blood And Bone Fox/Disney; Lucasfilm boarding – Deadline

If this is successful, i'd expect this to become a franchise as a sequel to the original book is currently being written. I think LucasFilm wants to be known for more than just "Star Wars". I watched an interview recently and Kathleen Kennedy was extremely excited about this project.

Rick Famuyiwa, who directed Episodes 2 & 6 of The Mandalorian, will be directing. He also directed the 2015 Netflix movie "Dope", which I thought was pretty good.

Reactions: Magic-Man
If this is successful, i'd expect this to become a franchise as a sequel to the original book is currently being written. I think LucasFilm wants to be known for more than just "Star Wars". I watched an interview recently and Kathleen Kennedy was extremely excited about this project.

Rick Famuyiwa, who directed Episodes 2 & 6 of The Mandalorian, will be directing. He also directed the 2015 Netflix movie "Dope", which I thought was pretty good.
Any word on how many books the author plans to write in this franchise?

I tried reading the novel after hearing a fluff piece on NPR last year. Trash; I couldn’t finish it.

No idea, but the second book is already out. It’s called Children of Virtue and Vengeance.
Just read an interview where she said it’ll have a third book, and it’ll be a trilogy ultimately.

ps. Book 2 is getting great reviews

I've kept hearing good things about this series, but I'll wait until the last book's out. I've been burned before with authors like Martin and Rothfuss taking too long to finish their story that my interest in a series begins waning.

No idea, but the second book is already out. It’s called Children of Virtue and Vengeance.
Oh... guess I have a new book for the stack.

I really don’t think the movie will be that great. Outside of one scene (spoiler below), nearly entire book is scenes lifted from other fantasy stories. I enjoyed reading it (apart from its ending), but visually it’ll be hard pressed to do anything new.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Oh... guess I have a new book for the stack.

I really don’t think the movie will be that great. Outside of one scene (spoiler below), nearly entire book is scenes lifted from other fantasy stories. I enjoyed reading it (apart from its ending), but visually it’ll be hard pressed to do anything new.
If anyone is gonna make some great visuals, it’s ILM.

I don’t know much about it, but I’m just happy to see the Studio take a crack at something new for the first time in a long time.

If anyone is gonna make some great visuals, it’s ILM.

I don’t know much about it, but I’m just happy to see the Studio take a crack at something new for the first time in a long time.
Oh, I’ll be there. I love YA stuff. I just don’t think the reception beyond the readership will be great.

Reactions: Nick
I think it’ll really depend on the cast and who writes the movie, but I think this has the chance to really surprise a lot of people.

I really hope Disney picks a good writer and director, and simply gets out of the way. The story has a lot set pieces we’ve seen before (its inspirations from Aladdin, X-Men, and Last Airbender are obvious), just thick with an Afrofuturistic bend (although the arena battle scene is something stunningly original). Nia DaCosta, Ryan Coogler, or someone similar who leans heavy into visuals and deeper context would be perfect.

I really hope Disney picks a good writer and director, and simply gets out of the way. The story has a lot set pieces we’ve seen before (its inspirations from Aladdin, X-Men, and Last Airbender are obvious), just thick with an Afrofuturistic bend (although the arena battle scene is something stunningly original). Nia DaCosta, Ryan Coogler, or someone similar who leans heavy into visuals and deeper context would be perfect.
As of December last year, the Director was slated to be Rick Famuyiwa, but they didn't announce him as being on-board during the Investor's Day, so maybe that has changed.

As of December last year, the Director was slated to be Rick Famuyiwa, but they didn't announce him as being on-board during the Investor's Day, so maybe that has changed.
I’m not familiar with his films, but he directed some Mandalorian, so I can trust it.

I’m not familiar with his films, but he directed some Mandalorian, so I can trust it.
The only film of his that I've seen is Dope (on Netflix), which is a coming of age story set within the African-American community. I enjoyed the movie and I've liked his stuff he's done on Mandalorian so he's the director then I'm cool with that. Really who write this thing is almost more important though.

As of August 2019, Kay Oyegun was tapped to write it now the I look into it a little more. She's apparently most known for her writing on This Is Us.