Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

CityWalk Orlando Updates & Changes General Thread

I think a comedy club on Citywalk should be a bit of both. Locals and headliners. There are a lot of great comedy people who might love an excuse to visit theme parks and also work a little. Don't forget the locals, but be prepared for well known acts is how I'd go. And have matinee shows if the demand is high enough. Also be set up for podcasters.

I just feel like a comedy club in a theme park setting is problematic.

Bill & Ted always pushed the limits and was problematic for content-- an unscripted comedy show or improv is just asking for controversy...

I'm personally more interested in the Escape Room concept. I'm an early bird and generally pretty beat after all day in the parks and don't want to spend my evenings out, but something that can fill a random hour to 90 min in the hot part of the day? Definitely interested.

I'd definitely try a high quality Universal level escape room. Good room possibilities too. Monsters, Jurassic Park, Bourne, etc

Bill & Ted always pushed the limits and was problematic for content-- an unscripted comedy show or improv is just asking for controversy...
If it's replacing one of the clubs, I wouldn't be surprised if it was 18 or 21+

Wonder if they ever considered a general "NBC Comedy Club" since it'll also allow them to use the Office, Parks & Rec and all the other comedy shows they have.

It's still a shock to me that there's not a single section dedicated to The Office (or other NBC shows) at the NBC store. That alone would have paid off Fallon's construction cost.

Need that escape room asap. Put the HHN creative team on it. Highly doubt WB allows an HP, but that would be full daily if so.

If it's in CityWalk, it would be 18+, I assume, which should really lessen the problems by a ton.

Three ways a comedy club can go--all problematic:

1) Stand-up, like Improv or Bonkers. Limited capacity. If you make the guys repeat their sets, still lucky to get two 90-minute shows a night. And, having seen a few touring comedians lately, I don't know a one who doesn't touch on subjects that Comcast would want to avoid in its branded venues. CityWalk more adult than WDW but I'm sure there are still limits.

2) An improv troupe, like Comedy Warehouse. Hard to make shows long enough to make money--CW was the worst performing bar in PI for this reason. Also, it you have multiple shows, need plenty of guests wandering around--can't rely on being a destination. Not sure modern CityWalk has that.

3) A de facto "Best of SNL" show. Without the original actors, would be cringe.

I'm with Joe, don't see this working. Can't imagine an escape room would have the capacity to be worth it, either.

Three ways a comedy club can go--all problematic:

1) Stand-up, like Improv or Bonkers. Limited capacity. If you make the guys repeat their sets, still lucky to get two 90-minute shows a night. And, having seen a few touring comedians lately, I don't know a one who doesn't touch on subjects that Comcast would want to avoid in its branded venues. CityWalk more adult than WDW but I'm sure there are still limits.

2) An improv troupe, like Comedy Warehouse. Hard to make shows long enough to make money--CW was the worst performing bar in PI for this reason. Also, it you have multiple shows, need plenty of guests wandering around--can't rely on being a destination. Not sure modern CityWalk has that.

3) A de facto "Best of SNL" show. Without the original actors, would be cringe.

I'm with Joe, don't see this working. Can't imagine an escape room would have the capacity to be worth it, either.

Plus if a comedy act does want to play in CityWalk there is still the Velvet Lounge at HRR or the Hard Rock itself.

I think it’s a great idea. Still remember going to The second city the multiple times I went to Chicago. I loved every minute of it. It had the horror makeup show feel and the improv was great! Build the comedy club, Universal! I would reserve tickets on my yearly trips!