Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Peacock (Streaming Service)

Yup, Netflix has been preparing for studios like Disney and Universal to leave (they were able to secure Paramount) by spending ridiculous amounts of money on new, original content. Disney can take all the Marvel, Pixar, WDAS, LucasFilm and Disney live action movies with them when Disney+ launches (and Netflix will no doubt feel the loss of such a library of content on some level), but they've built their own library so deep now that in the end it's really not going to matter.

Netflix has essentially taken Fox's place in the 'Big 6'. Netflix might have started as a streaming service, but they should be treated more as a distributor at this point in time because that's the majority of what they do now.

Exactly. They generate and release more films and television shows than many of the "Big 6" and several of the minors.

Steve Burke clarified more information and it seem that all cable/pay tv provider customers will be offered this service and those without pay service will be the one who get charged.

It will utilize Sky’s NOW streaming service technology. The biggest thing of note is despite Comcast having their own streaming service they will continue to make content for all content distributors to include Netflix etc.

Steve Burke clarified more information and it seem that all cable/pay tv provider customers will be offered this service and those without pay service will be the one who get charged.

It will utilize Sky’s NOW streaming service technology. The biggest thing of note is despite Comcast having their own streaming service they will continue to make content for all content distributors to include Netflix etc.

Sky’s streaming platform is awful or the app is anyway.

Watching a video and leave? Need to search for it again. No continue watching feature.

Watching a tv show? 2 mins of ads start with a 4min ad in the middle (Can’t be skipped) of a 20 minute show.

Sky’s streaming platform is awful or the app is anyway.

Watching a video and leave? Need to search for it again. No continue watching feature.

Watching a tv show? 2 mins of ads start with a 4min ad in the middle (Can’t be skipped) of a 20 minute show.

Ahh...there is an ad free version of the NBCU streaming service likely ranging from 12 to 14 dollars a month from Steve Burke 's statement.

An ad-free version of the service will be made available for $12 to $14 a month, consistent with the going rate for top-end services.

NBCU Chief Steve Burke Says New Streaming Service Could Reclaim ‘The Office’ From Netflix In 2021; Exec Reorg No Threat To Andy Lack | Deadline

The potential problem for Netflix is that they're going through borrowed money like a drunken sailor. Their debt is enormous, and growing by the day.

I dig that, but as an end user, I don't see that being my problem. Of they can't sustain what theyre doing, they'll either change what they do or theyllt die, and someone else will fill that vacuum. If I were a stockholder, my position on thisogjt be different.

Stepping back and looking at NBCU streaming service biggest issue which will hinder it slightly is the talent pool of they will pull from to create original content. They likely will be those who have deals with NBCU which the big ones remaining are Michael Schur (The Good Place, Parks and Rec, Brooklyn 99), Dick Wolf (Law and Order, Chicago series), Tina Fey (30 Rock, Great News, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt), and Sam Esmail (Mr Robot, Homecoming). Of course they can use their minority Amblin stake to also claim those shows for their service despite being housed with other distribution studios but I don't think its a strong option.

They would definitely need more content creators to be able to support the demand of all these new programs that would be necessary to entice those who would have to pay. So I think we may start to see low level and low threat purchases of small studios as well as big deals for certain names like JJ Abrams.

Stepping back and looking at NBCU streaming service biggest issue which will hinder it slightly is the talent pool of they will pull from to create original content. They likely will be those who have deals with NBCU which the big ones remaining are Michael Schur (The Good Place, Parks and Rec, Brooklyn 99), Dick Wolf (Law and Order, Chicago series), Tina Fey (30 Rock, Great News, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt), and Sam Esmail (Mr Robot, Homecoming). Of course they can use their minority Amblin stake to also claim those shows for their service despite being housed with other distribution studios but I don't think its a strong option.

They would definitely need more content creators to be able to support the demand of all these new programs that would be necessary to entice those who would have to pay. So I think we may start to see low level and low threat purchases of small studios as well as big deals for certain names like JJ Abrams.
Netflix didn’t have any content creators when they started so I’d say this service is in a fine position starting off.

Comcast has stated that it will be bullish in obtaining new original content for their streaming service

Control Via Sky Q As Synergies Emerge
Steve Burke, CEO of the Comcast-owned Hollywood studio, said that that ad-supported streaming service, which will launch in 2020, will be a financial boon for the company “because in effect we’re going to be a brand new buyer”.

Speaking after Comcast’s fourth-quarter and year-end financial results, he said, “We have long sold to everyone, we’ve sold to SVOD, we’ve sold to cable channels and broadcast channels that we don’t own and the feeling is if you’re in the TV business you should work with the best people and the best shows, wherever it makes the most sense. We’ll have the same philosophy ourselves, we do feel we significantly undermonetize on the internet on free platforms and SVOD platforms so as more content becomes available, I think a lot is going to be on our platform but we will continue to sell to other platforms depending on the show and the prices we can command for those products.”

His comments come after he told Deadline that it was a “fair assumption” that it would try to reclaim key titles such as The Office for the new service. He was also bullish about the amount of programming that the SVOD play would have at launch, a warning to the likes of Netflix and Amazon that it would be making plays for a number of other titles.
NBCU Will Continue To Sell Shows To Rival Platforms | Deadline

What does this mean?

It means Comcast is gonna try to poach content creators as well as get the hot IPs before Netflix and Amazon meaning a lot more premium high budget television on this streaming service. This may cause issues however later on.

The most interesting part of Comcast’s streaming service is the fact that they’re the only ISP building their own streaming service. Warning - long technical post incoming.

(Yes, AT&T owns HBO, but they didn’t build it)

Streaming video isn’t a hard problem. We solved it a long time ago. Streaming video doesn’t work any differently than downloading a file.

Making sure videos load fast is a much harder problem.

When you open IU, you send data from your computer to IU and vice/versa. That data starts at your computer, goes to a point-of-presence (local Comcast datacenter), some other stuff happens and then it comes to IU.

That’s a lot of steps. Fiber-optics are fast, but ultimately the data needs to physically travel a long distance. For video, that leads to slower video. It’s a part of the reason that video streaming isn’t pleasant.

So, why is Netflix in particular so good? Netflix has a program called OpenConnect where they put servers in local points-of-presences across the country. When you stream Stranger Things, the show doesn’t have to travel across the country. It just travels from a Netflix server at your local Comcast data center to you. No other streaming service (to my knowledge) has the scale to do that. Just the Googles and Facebooks of the world.

Comcast can set all of that up on day 1. In theory, they should be able to set up the infrastructure to have a great streaming experience on day 1.

Watching Comcast Infinity today....and they were advertising an 'EPIX' program package. Just thought that was interesting since its a play on their 'EPIC' theme park usages.

The most interesting part of Comcast’s streaming service is the fact that they’re the only ISP building their own streaming service. Warning - long technical post incoming.

Streaming video isn’t a hard problem. We solved it a long time ago. Streaming video doesn’t work any differently than downloading a file.

When you open IU, you send data from your computer to IU and vice/versa. That data starts at your computer, goes to a point-of-presence (local Comcast datacenter), some other stuff happens and then it comes to IU.

That’s a lot of steps. Fiber-optics are fast, but ultimately the data needs to physically travel a long distance. For video, that leads to slower video. It’s a part of the reason that video streaming isn’t pleasant.

So, why is Netflix in particular so good? Netflix has a program called OpenConnect where they put servers in local points-of-presences across the country. When you stream Stranger Things, the show doesn’t have to travel across the country. It just travels from a Netflix server at your local Comcast data center to you. No other streaming service (to my knowledge) has the scale to do that. Just the Googles and Facebooks of the world.

Comcast can set all of that up on day 1. In theory, they should be able to set up the infrastructure to have a great streaming experience on day 1.

Ah, the reason why I love IUForums..just when we can be talking constant on theme parks, we get legal & technical in the best way's possible. ;) :toast:

Additionally thanks to Net Neutrality being neutered, they can prioritize their streaming service quality over other sites which gives them another leg up. I'm surprised however they aren't offering for free to their internet subscribers as well as I think it would help even more in the grand "stream" of things. Why would I use Netflix when I can just watch Parks and Rec for free on the Comcast network I own? It also would help with ad suggestions as they already have access to their internet history.

Additionally thanks to Net Neutrality being neutered, they can prioritize their streaming service quality over other sites which gives them another leg up. I'm surprised however they aren't offering for free to their internet subscribers as well as I think it would help even more in the grand "stream" of things. Why would I use Netflix when I can just watch Parks and Rec for free on the Comcast network I own? It also would help with ad suggestions as they already have access to their internet history.
Comcast’s past dealings with Netflix were very much the reason the Obama admistration pushed for net neutrality rules. I have no doubts that they’ll try to push boundaries again, to everyone’s detriment.

I like Comcast the theme park operator. I really hate Comcast the cable company.

Lots of good points brought up but it should be noted that every major service uses a CDN which at least gets the servers closer to the ISPs. Then the Netflix appliance inside a given ISP doesn't have everything, just the most popular, so it still falls back to their CDN for extended content. It is definitely a benefit but not a mission critical issue like purposeful throttling.