Could Universal Buy Artegon Property? | Inside Universal Forums

Could Universal Buy Artegon Property?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Could be useful land for more Uni/Loews hotels in the future, if they would successfully be able to block out the sight lines of the road from whatever development they could do.

I do feel somewhat bad for the property owners and tenants after the recent redevelopment that Artegon underwent to try to make it more appealing to locals. I only ever went there for the Cinemark Theater, because it was much cheaper than either the Universal Cineplex or the Regal at Pointe Orlando.

What makes this especially sad (for Artegon) is that this story just broke last week...

Artegon Marketplace on I-Drive adding 17 new mini retail shops - Orlando Sentinel

It's just far enough away that I think it would feel disconnected from the main resort. Let's be honest, the sketchiest blocks of I-Drive are between Universal and Artegon as well. If I was Universal I wouldn't want to send guests up that road.

Some minor player was talking about building a steel park there before Artegon opened--I think they even had tacit backing from the WWE (Vince McMahon really wants a bricks and mortar WWE Hall of Fame)--but met the standard blue-hair opposition from locals. While it's nice to dream, most likely scenario is Premium Outlets finally buy them out or someone opens a lifestyler center with Bass Pro and Ron Jon as stand-alone buildings.

I went to the original version of Artegon. I liked it, but it did not seem to be pulling in the traffic. The new version just comes across as fairly depressing. Reminded me of a flea market.

The original was beautiful even 12 years after opening. I guess that's the benefit of almost no guest flow.

Version 2.0 is better than when it first opened, when it literally was a flea market. Most vendors actually have a facade up now. Hasn't done a lot to increase attendance, other than free beer and wine days.

When I ventured down the mall part within the last year, before or after a movie, I would describe it as.... a ghost town. People just didn't seem interested in an "artisan market" when there is CityWalk, The Mall at Millinea, and the outlet mall all within a 10 minute drive from Artegon.

I never went to the original version, but yeah, the current version doesn't ever seem crowded when we go.

I only ever went there for the Cinemark Theater, because it was much cheaper than either the Universal Cineplex or the Regal at Pointe Orlando.

We love that movie theater. For those unaware, the seats are wide, recline a little, and have leg rests. You can reserve your seats, too - all for a very decent price - something like $6, maybe.

I Drive Live 360 (or whatever it's called) seems to be a smash hit. Plus an expansion coming up. I'd imagine another Merlin-type player to buy the property and build something along those lines. Perhaps with the Skycoaster we've all heard so much about as a marquee.

I'm thinking we'll see I Drive consolidate into larger facilities like the Orlando Eye complex.

Reactions: amityboattours
I Drive Live 360 (or whatever it's called) seems to be a smash hit. Plus an expansion coming up. I'd imagine another Merlin-type player to buy the property and build something along those lines. Perhaps with the Skycoaster we've all heard so much about as a marquee.

I'm thinking we'll see I Drive consolidate into larger facilities like the Orlando Eye complex.

I agree, that whole Orlando Eye site is especially brilliant as a 'rainy day' alternative to hitting the main parks, which is what we did on our last trip anyway.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Universal can't build hotels anywhere. If their hotels aren't on-property, they're really no different than a themed Holiday Inn down the street (think Nick Hotel)

Universal can't build hotels anywhere. If their hotels aren't on-property, they're really no different than a themed Holiday Inn down the street (think Nick Hotel)
They are building hotels on their property. That is what is happening at WnW. They could buy the Artegon property and do the same. It could fit a full park and is closer than the South site. It is a big property with so much potential.

Reactions: Mike S