Customer service fail | Inside Universal Forums

Customer service fail

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

IzzyB

V.I.P. Member
May 23, 2010
Orlando, FL
Ok, so my friend broke her foot right before her trip. No biggie she can rent an ECV. So we park in handicap as she has a pass. So we get the courtesy wheelchair but guess what? Can only use it to right before metal detectors. Fine, let's rent an ECV, nope. Can't there. Have to rent a wheelchair. So get in line rent wheelchaur, to push thru city walk to the wait in another line to rent an ECV.

Another fail. Get to metal detectors and they split up our party and won't let us wait in line together because they would only let wheel chair and person pushing thru wheelchair line. So now we split up with my friend who has never been here to then find us on the other end.

So if Universal is ever going to impress people more then Disney they need to improve crap like this. It doesn't help that they have that Amex thing thing makes the post meet up area much more complex and difficult. Not a good start to a day for someone that has never been to universal. Our experience getting into Epcot yesterday was 50x easier and pleasant.

You're blaming Universal , yet compare a visit to Epcot which has nothing to do with Universal, so why wouldn't one think you're just making a big deal out of this? Those security guards have a flow process which they must follow for safety protocols, wheelchair or not.

You're blaming Universal , yet compare a visit to Epcot which has nothing to do with Universal, so why wouldn't one think you're just making a big deal out of this? Those security guards have a flow process which they must follow for safety protocols, wheelchair or not.

No need to get defensive dude.

Mileage wise we are closer to universal, we left 15 minutes later for Uni than we did disney, our first ride is going to be a good 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes after our first ride at Epcot because of the various issues getting into the park and getting an ECV. I love all the theme parks and I all think they have plusses and minuses, but I feel uni still has to come a long way when it comes to entrance into the park which is your first impression of the park and customer service.

Reactions: IAmFloridaBorn
I compared experiences because that is what my friend is doing. She is doing two days at Disney and two days at universal. She has kids in the target range of universal. She has already made several comments about this not being Disney or how harder it is. Her kids are complaining how long it is taking to get on that first ride. SHE a non theme park junky is making the comparison which is why I am.

Reactions: Nico
I compared experiences because that is what my friend is doing. She is doing two days at Disney and two days at universal. She has kids in the target range of universal. She has already made several comments about this not being Disney or how harder it is. Her kids are complaining how long it is taking to get on that first ride. SHE a non theme park junky is making the comparison which is why I am.
Without trying to sound defensive, there is a service Universal provides for people that need extra accomodation. If you tell them ahead of time, they can sometimes approve of that accomodation. (Much like Disney). Especially peoples first time, or they have differences in their preferred choice of parks, gathering all available resources always helps a smooth visit. Even as a local, I still learn at the parks , the more my lifestyle changes and grows, there are ways that can help things make a first vacation absolutely great.

When we went to Epcot with my 90 year old mother, there was not one wheelchair in the area where the buses let off. She had to walk all the way to the wheelchair rental from the buses, stopping every couple of minutes to rest. We asked a CM but they were no help at all. We had a very opposite impression than you did.

but I feel uni still has to come a long way when it comes to entrance into the park which is your first impression of the park and customer service.
You know, from a first impression stand point, especially if I were no or a non-frequent visitor, that would make a difference for me. I do the same when I venture to new eating establishments or car dealerships, sports venues. It gives you a sense of how the ground may be layed for the further continuing of your experience, which is important because it can vastly change someones mind from positive to negative. Much like testrack said, file a complaint. Why? Because they (Universal) needs to know that. They would love to have that information back.

Without trying to sound defensive, there is a service Universal provides for people that need extra accomodation. If you tell them ahead of time, they can sometimes approve of that accomodation. (Much like Disney). Especially peoples first time, or they have differences in their preferred choice of parks, gathering all available resources always helps a smooth visit. Even as a local, I still learn at the parks , the more my lifestyle changes and grows, there are ways that can help things make a first vacation absolutely great.

Actually my friend called ahead and told customer service her situation. She was told she can rent an ECV in the parks. She was told no other special ways of doing stuff or how it would be getting from the parking lot to the park or even how far it is. I was glad I was there because she was going to walk it. She had no clue the distance between there and the parks. So she did research (website) and call when the information wasn't complete.

Reactions: IAmFloridaBorn
This is an issue at both Universal and Disney. In fact Disney had to deal with a big lawsuit over this. The problem is they rent the ECV's and wheelchairs in the park so there's no easy way to get to the park if you require one. In both cases the parks have wheelchair and ECV rentals as a convenience for people who don't require them but to make their trips a little easier. In fact the acronym ECV was created in the theme parks the C stands for convenience. I really think both resorts should just move their wheelchair/ECV rental to the parking lots it would just make more sense. Obviously this doesn't help your situation but the best thing to do is just rent them from an outside company, you have them wherever you go and it typically costs less too.

And I do plan on filing a compliant. It has gotten worse in that she has to transfer to a normal wheelchair so someone has to push. I am so glad she picked magic kingdom as the park to go with her youngest child. I have no clue what she would have done if it was universal. It is kind of a pain to be honest with you. We are trying to carry out youngest, push a wheelchair, and keep track of 3 other kids. Again, just a difference in the parks and my friend is really noticing it.

Reactions: Parkscope Joe
This is an issue at both Universal and Disney. In fact Disney had to deal with a big lawsuit over this. The problem is they rent the ECV's and wheelchairs in the park so there's no easy way to get to the park if you require one. In both cases the parks have wheelchair and ECV rentals as a convenience for people who don't require them but to make their trips a little easier. In fact the acronym ECV was created in the theme parks the C stands for convenience. I really think both resorts should just move their wheelchair/ECV rental to the parking lots it would just make more sense. Obviously this doesn't help your situation but the best thing to do is just rent them from an outside company, you have them wherever you go and it typically costs less too.

She is staying at our house, we had no way of getting it in and out of our car.

Actually my friend called ahead and told customer service her situation. She was told she can rent an ECV in the parks. She was told no other special ways of doing stuff or how it would be getting from the parking lot to the park or even how far it is. I was glad I was there because she was going to walk it. She had no clue the distance between there and the parks. So she did research (website) and call when the information wasn't complete.
Well I definitely apologize. I wish you'd said that in your initial post as well. Sorry your friend had a terrible experience. That absolutely sucks.

She is staying at our house, we had no way of getting it in and out of our car.
Ah, yeah that does make it difficult.
I am so glad she picked magic kingdom as the park to go with her youngest child. I have no clue what she would have done if it was universal.
Just as a heads up it's the exact same procedure at MK. She'll need to get a courtesy wheelchair at the disabled parking. MK has the added benefit of not allowing wheelchairs on the trams so the wheelchair will need to be pushed all the way to TTC from the parking lot. Also there are no signs to tell you this but the wheelchairs usually aren't allowed on the monorail. This usually gets people pretty upset after pushing a wheelchair up a steep ramp for nothing. Sometimes the CM's will feel sorry for the gusts and try to let them on or arrange for another wheelchair at the other station. So I would skip all that and just head straight for the ferry boat.

Ah, yeah that does make it difficult.

Just as a heads up it's the exact same procedure at MK. She'll need to get a courtesy wheelchair at the disabled parking. MK has the added benefit of not allowing wheelchairs on the trams so the wheelchair will need to be pushed all the way to TTC from the parking lot. Also there are no signs to tell you this but the wheelchairs usually aren't allowed on the monorail. This usually gets people pretty upset after pushing a wheelchair up a steep ramp for nothing. Sometimes the CM's will feel sorry for the gusts and try to let them on or arrange for another wheelchair at the other station. So I would skip all that and just head straight for the ferry boat.

Yes I am well aware of how magic kingdom is. I have parked in handicapped many times. However they do allow wheelchairs on the monorail. She will pick up a courtesy wheelchair and walk on up hills using the wheelchair for support and her daughter will push on flat and downhill. I am going to have them do boat for that one. And tram is not needed since since she will be in handicapped. But and not least she won't have to push her on every ride.

However they do allow wheelchairs on the monorail.
The courtesy wheelchairs with the tall flags are not supposed to go on the monorail as they can damage the ceiling. I wouldn't doubt that the CM's have given up on fighting with the guests over this as well as protecting the dilapidated monorails at this point though. Ferry boat is easier anyway though. All in all MK is far more difficult with wheelchairs/ecvs than any other park.

Can anyone breakdown the differences between Universal and Disney when it comes to arriving to the resort or park without a wheelchair and wanting to rent an ECV? Trying to understand the difference here.

Can anyone breakdown the differences between Universal and Disney when it comes to arriving to the resort or park without a wheelchair and wanting to rent an ECV? Trying to understand the difference here.
I don't think there is any difference at all. I can also assure you this is a big complaint generator at both resorts, I'm not sure why neither has tried to find a better solution.