Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

D23 Expo 2019 - News & Speculation

As a guess (and it's my own guess than anything)..if Disney does do a blowout for the 50th in terms of announcing,

Honestly, as an early guess more than anything (and more of a pie-in-the-sky guess)..

DLR - Details on Spider-Man at DCA, perhaps a visual video to show some of the concepts at play, alongside a proper visual of how Runaway Railway will be represented for the Toontown area
WDW - Epcot40 (as mentioned officially by Disney), RnRC (I buy that because of one thing: When Attractions reported it, it was because they actually were invited to the WDI campus as part of DVC), and perhaps an update on MK's plans for Tomorrowland for the 50th
DLPR - Update on the Marvel NY Hotel, WDS Marvel Plans, and perhaps a proper announcement on the SW Attraction (which should likely be the Falcon and not Resistance, unfortunately)
HKDL - Update on the Castle and Frozen area
Shanghai - A new look and timeline for the Zootopia area of the park
TDS - Promote New Fantasyland Tokyo
DCL - A small preview on the progress of Triton
__

I get the impression that this year's going to be light on domestic, outside of the East Coast, and that a lot of focus is going to be put towards both TDS, and DLPR.
I think WDW will get quite a few more announcements than you’re giving them, but I think most will be Epcot projects, which you did mention.

DLPR - Update on the Marvel NY Hotel, WDS Marvel Plans, and perhaps a proper announcement on the SW Attraction (which should likely be the Falcon and not Resistance, unfortunately).

Where did you hear that?

The artwork suggests they are just getting ROTR (as do the bigger French Disney Forums)

I'd like to see some more for DHS - Indy Land would be the dream.

I think WDW will get quite a few more announcements than you’re giving them, but I think most will be Epcot projects, which you did mention.

Honestly, I think the focus of WDW will remain on Tron, Ratatouille, Runaway Railway, Galaxy's Edge (to toot the horn)/Star Wars Hotel, Guardians, Brazil (minus the attraction, as rumored), and the rumored RnRC replacement. Along with, showing off visuals of the changes that will be primarily made to Future World and the Epcot Hotel.

Where did you hear that?

The artwork suggests they are just getting ROTR (as do the bigger French Disney Forums)

I'd like to see some more for DHS - Indy Land would be the dream.

Would people rather want to fly the Falcon, or sneak through a Star Destroyer? I'd be happy if it is Resistance (as I do think it's going to be the better of the two), but I would think they'd want to bring the Falcon to as many area's as possible.

Even if the concept art does have Poe's X-Wing, I still am going to be pessimistic.

Would people rather want to fly the Falcon, or sneak through a Star Destroyer? I'd be happy if it is Resistance (as I do think it's going to be the better of the two), but I would think they'd want to bring the Falcon to as many area's as possible.

Even if the concept art does have Poe's X-Wing, I still am going to be pessimistic.
For what it's worth, i've heard they're getting RotR and leaving room for potential expansion.

I’m hoping for cars, incredibles, monsters inc and Indy land at DHS to be announced but not highly likely at all like you said mostly Epcot future announcements with Tron, Guardians of the Galaxy, Ratatouille, I really think AK could use something as their next big themed land or attraction after Avatar we will see I’m hoping Dinoland USA will change into another themed land.

Here's a rundown of when the big panels will be taking place. FOX will not be included in the WDS Panel. I wonder if FOX will have an entirely separate panel seeing as their slate alone is larger than Walt Disney Studios (or if they just won't have a big presence at the Expo). In the blurb for the parks panel, it specifically singles out Epcot as a focus for the panel.

Friday, August 23rd
- Disney Legends Awards Ceremony @ 10:30am PST
- Disney+ @ 3:30pm PST

Saturday, August 24th
- The Walt Disney Studios Panel @ 10:00am PST

Sunday, August 25th
- Disney Parks, Experiences and Products @ 10:30am PST

Last edited:
So we're about two months out from the Expo now. I'll stick to domestic since they usually gloss over overseas stuff. We know what they will talk about for HKDL, SHDL, WDSP, etc anyway. They all have massive expansions going on that they can point to. Plus they'll obviously talk about their new cruise ships. Here's my what I think is on the table (not what I think will happen, but things that have a chance to make the cut) as of now domestically:

MK:
Tron update
50th stuff (potential electrical parade?)
Potential Speedway update to Tron (It's supposed to go down again next year)
Stitch replacement?

Epcot:
Update on current projects (GotG, Rat, Play, Spine/Entrance redo, etc)
UK/Poppins attraction (Martin is signaling work will begin on this later this year)
Brazil
New Festival building near Imagination
Update on China and Canada Circle-Vision shows, as well as Awesome Planet.
Inside Out replacing Imagination

DHS:
Hype up Galaxy's Edge (which opens 3 days after the Expo ends)
Talk about new Toy Story restaurant (maybe throw in an update to TSMM to add TS4 characters like they did when TS3 came out?)
RNRC redo?
Something Indy?

DAK:
Not expecting anything for DAK unless they decide to clone the Zootopia land going into SHDL (I haven't heard anything on that being likely though)

WDW Resort:
Skyliner
Coronado
Riviera DVC
Reflections DVC

DL:
SWGE
MMRR
Tomorrowland?

DCA:
Marvel Land details
Probably talk about Pixar Pier
Maybe something happening with Hollywood?

DLR:
Expansion of Minnie Vans to Disneyland?

Last edited:
This isn't related specifically to Epcot, but I just came across this quote from Chapek. Pretty much shows where his mind is at right now:

This isn't related specifically to Epcot, but I just came across this quote from Chapek. Pretty much shows where his mind is at right now:

That's right on to what's happening through the entire Disney system. And really, I don't blame them. With all of the good IP's they have, that are very adaptable to theme parks, it makes good business sense.

Not that its surprising, or dumb, but thats basically him saying they'll only be doing work with their IPs. No original attractions. Sounds like Runaway Railway is the closest we'll get to an original attraction for the near future.

The ride does have an original song though, something we haven't seen from a Disney ride a great while.

Again, this is something for the proper thread, however.

You introduced the topic though by adding in that video of him so of course we're going to discuss.

This is an absolute mistake and shows how short-sighted Chapek is with the US parks. You own the IPs, doesn’t mean you have to make every attraction IP related. They’ve got Tron, Guardians, Rat, Galaxy’s Edge all on the slate...would it hurt to fit in an original attraction in DAK or Epcot between these and the next IP driven run of expansions? Pirates and Haunted Mansion are two of the most timeless rides in Disney parks and Neither were IPs. They became them after. If something tells a good enough story or inspires ideas to create a movie/story, isn’t that just as good? Future IP right there.