Dear Evan Hansen | Inside Universal Forums

Dear Evan Hansen

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
May 14, 2014
Seoul, Korea
Since it seems Universal is fast tracking this movie (mainly to keep Ben Platt playing the title role ) and still not Wicked (which is being produced by Ben Platt's father who also is producing this film) , here we go.

Synopsis:
Evan Hansen, a high school student with social anxiety disorder, takes advantage of the suicide of a classmate for his own emotional gains, after accidentally letting a letter he wrote to himself be taken by the classmate, whose family mistakes it for being written by their son to Evan.

Music by Benj Pasek and Justin Paul (The Greatest Showman, La La Land, Trolls, Alladin (2019)

To be Directed by: Stephen Chbosky (The Perks of Being a Wallflower, Wonder)

Evan Hansen to be played by Ben Platt who originated this role on Broadway.
Amandla Stenberg will play Alana, and be getting an new original song which is writing.

Reactions: Disneyhead
Wow that’s a long trailer, but damn I love this music so much. Ben Platt imo looks younger and more like a high schooler than I expected, but it’s still weird. Regardless, looks well done and like they tried. I don’t anticipate Oscars or anything but I hope this is a nice film for those who couldn’t get to see this. Also, I’m excited I’ll see Ben’s performance. Only saw Ben Levi Ross, who was incredible to say the least.

Reactions: JonsMovies
HE LIES TO EVERYONE, INCLUDING A FUNDRAISING CAMPAIGN UNDER FALSE PRETENSES AND SEES NO ACTUAL PUNISHMENT!

God, even the trailer pisses me off.
He could've just said that Connor took the letter, but NO he had to dig himself into a very deep hole, and then somehow gets out of it with little to no punishment.

Also:

Last edited:
Ya never said I love the story lol. I remember finally seeing it after years of hype and was like.... oh?
I listened to the soundtrack and was like, “music is catchy despite the lyrics being overwrought, but what is this story?” Then I read the plot and was like, “WHY ARE PEOPLE CELEBRATING THIS?” The whole thing is “Privileged: The Musical.” It was barely acceptable in 2015, but could skate by on naive optimism. After the social awakening of the last couple of years though, I think this movie is going to annoy more than enamor people.

Idk if the show would've been nearly as popular without You Will Be Found, but I kinda wish they kept Part of Me as the second-act closer. It makes it so much clearer that as sympathetic as Evan's position is, he's still absolutely not the good guy here.

The movie looks kinda darker and grimmer so it seems like it'd be a better fit than Found too.

Reactions: Frogki
I have never heard of this musical in my life

But I absolutely adored Ben Platt in Pitch Perfect

Reading reviews on the musical, it's very positive

Idk if the show would've been nearly as popular without You Will Be Found, but I kinda wish they kept Part of Me as the second-act closer. It makes it so much clearer that as sympathetic as Evan's position is, he's still absolutely not the good guy here.

The movie looks kinda darker and grimmer so it seems like it'd be a better fit than Found too.
The show was popular because of Ben Platt and his celebrity friends.

Glad we all agree that Dear Evan Hansen is a bad musical in terms of story with an even worse message. It should not have a happy ending, and the fact that they made this a movie is very clearly a cash grab on the theatre kids that liked this musical back in 2016 and never seriously thought about it after that. As somebody who has dealt with mental health problems since middle school, the portrayal of Connor and Evan’s mental illnesses are really bothersome and I feel like they perpetuate the stereotype that all people with depression are just “Sad loners who just need a friend,” or that people with anxiety are “avid liars and manipulators.” I gave it the benefit of the doubt because it was 2015 or so when the musical came out and maybe they were unaware of the stigma, but now its 2021. We should know better. Come on.

Last edited:
Glad we all agree that Dear Evan Hansen is a bad musical in terms of story with an even worse message. It should not have a happy ending, and the fact that they made this a movie is very clearly a cash grab on the theatre kids that liked this musical back in 2016 and never seriously thought about it after that. As somebody who has dealt with mental health problems since middle school, the portrayal of Connor and Evan’s mental illnesses are really bothersome and I feel like they perpetuate the stereotype that all people with depression are just “Sad loners who just need a friend,” or that people with anxiety are “avid liars and manipulators.” I gave it the benefit of the doubt because it was 2015 or so when the musical came out and maybe they were unaware of the stigma, but now its 2021. We should know better. Come on.
Oof hard pass from me

I listened to the soundtrack and was like, “music is catchy despite the lyrics being overwrought, but what is this story?” Then I read the plot and was like, “WHY ARE PEOPLE CELEBRATING THIS?” The whole thing is “Privileged: The Musical.” It was barely acceptable in 2015, but could skate by on naive optimism. After the social awakening of the last couple of years though, I think this movie is going to annoy more than enamor people.
I don’t disagree, I simply don’t think this works as a film thinking of it as the plot holes in a book of a musical can be glossed over by the musical performances, not on film. The holes will be glaring.

I think you’re a tad harsh on it, and it shouldn’t be the only medium there for young men struggling with Evan’s issues, but it’s hard to disagree with your points. Although the music I still like

Reactions: Frogki