Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Despicable Me: Minion Mayhem (USF)

Haven’t been around much, but this type of thing strikes close to home for me.

Not true. In 2D, you are watching images on a screen. No doubt about in your mind whatsoever. In properly produced 3D, almost no imagery appears to be on the screen plane. The only time you’d be aware of the screen is if it has some physical imperfection or projection issue that ruins the illusion. So yes your logical brain knows there’s a screen, but you shouldn’t really “see” the screen.

A good example is Forbidden Journey in 3D (RIP). The domes don’t look like domes at all. It’s a very different feel. As good as they look now (just saw them a few weeks ago for the first time, and I am impressed with the new projectors), it’s clearly a dome and a fisheye lens.

Also not true. The problem is they built too many screen-reliant attractions. The solution is to stop doing so, not gut existing ones. Replace them maybe, but not just make them less.

And if it’s some sort of cost-saving thing.... then ugh.

Yeah, we’ve moved on from this - with several follow up clarifications and points.

Why are they removing 3D?

Do people really not think it adds enough to the immersiveness of the experiences?

Disney and Universal consistently showcase the best uses of 3D that feel natural and have an extraordinary amount of depth. I don't see any reason for media based attractions not to use it.

3D still in Hollywood

b06GZE4.jpg

I know i'm not the target demo for this ride, and it was pretty much at the very bottom of my attractions list park wide before this development, but removing the 3d would just be one less reason to do this attraction, agreed with what everyone is saying it just doesn't make sense to remove a level of depth... because.. A. They invested in too many screen attractions or B. Kids fidget with the glasses.

I hope this doens't come into fruition, but honestly I wouldn't mind if this whole attraction was replaced with something else.. I don't see it going anywhere anytime soon though considering how long the lines are and how much merchandise it sells.

The 3D works well in this ride, plus whenever I take my kids they enjoy wearing minion "goggles" but, At FJ we removed them due to not seeing an increase in ridership compared to orlando, and probably budget cuts.

Is there any chance they keep it 3D in Orlando and 2D in Hollywood and then test reactions before officially deciding? It's interesting that the initial rumor was about the Orlando version going 2D a week ago and instead the Hollywood version went 2D while Orlando remains 3D.

Is there any chance they keep it 3D in Orlando and 2D in Hollywood and then test reactions before officially deciding? It's interesting that the initial rumor was about the Orlando version going 2D a week ago and instead the Hollywood version went 2D while Orlando remains 3D.

It's going 2D across the board. IDK why the conversion in Orlando was delayed.

I still think this is a really odd move. I think it will only make the attraction weaker.

I may want fewer simulators and screens-stuff in Universal Studios Florida (and I very much do), but I also want the attractions that are still there to be operating in the way they were designed to operate, being the best versions of themselves possible...

... while we wait for balance to be restored!

I still think this is a really odd move. I think it will only make the attraction weaker.

I may want fewer simulators and screens-stuff in Universal Studios Florida (and I very much do), but I also want the attractions that are still there to be operating in the way they were designed to operate, being the best versions of themselves possible...

... while we wait for balance to be restored!
Yup. It makes zero sense and will only decrease the likability of the ride. You don't see Disney, the clear leader of "appealing to children," removing 3D from all of their 3D attractions because "kids don't like wearing glasses." It's just patently absurd when the design of the ride is the way it is in Hollywood and Orlando.

From all the info I can gather:

There is a pretty vocal group that DO NOT like 3D, especially as many of the rides at UO utilize the glasses. DM was chosen as:

A. An easy switch.
B. The precedent it can work (i.e. Japan)

It also helps that it is, effectively, a cost cutting move.

Nothing about kids from the intel I got.

If I cared more about this attraction I would try to mount some sort of counter campaign to get the 3D added back to to the attraction.

DISGUSTING! I Say.

There is a pretty vocal group that DO NOT like 3D, especially as many of the rides at UO utilize the glasses. DM was chosen as:

A. An easy switch.

Wow! Must be a really vocal group to command this kind of change. They should work in politics.

@Brian G. Just a suggestion since DMMH threads on both coasts are currently active, but perhaps add "USH" and "USF" to the thread titles to easier differentiate between the two.

A. An easy switch.

Removing 3D was what saved F&F from being poorly received

Wow! Must be a really vocal group to command this kind of change. They should work in politics.

@Brian G. Just a suggestion since DMMH threads on both coasts are currently active, but perhaps add "USH" and "USF" to the thread titles to easier differentiate between the two.

Well, to clarify, it's not like it was a picket line. :lol:

Universal is aware of the feedback, they ran surveys, and adjusted based on the results.

A. An easy switch.

Yeah, removing 3D will save them as those glasses aren’t cheap. And there’s specific positions for cleaning the glasses, which no longer need to exist.

Well, to clarify, it's not like it was a picket line. :lol:

Universal is aware of the feedback, they ran surveys, and adjusted based on the results.

Fair enough, but why cater to what I imagine to still be a minority group? They have two theatres. They could run 3D in one and 2D in the other as a test before deciding one way or the other or even keeping both permanently.