Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Despicable Me: Minion Mayhem (USH)

To be completely honest, the attraction in Florida is a bit overrated. It's something new, but the concept is just too similar to The Simpsons. Those who've been on the ride in Florida or have seen videos online may know what I mean. Regular line, pre-show number 1, pre-show number 2, sit in vehicle, multiple vehicles used to look at one screen. Nothing new.

WOW I didn't know that because I didn't want to ruin the first time experience but now, the only thing I want 

Decpicable Me: Minion Mayhemto do is to go more "faster" than the Simpson's Ride
p.s. "faster" because its going to be a sim ride

We need real thrill rides here... I will probably ride once Minion Mayhem as I have only been into the Simpsons ride 3 times since having my Annual Pass... once the first time I was at the park after a 15 year hiatus... the other when taking a girlfriend there for the first time and the 3rd while taking 1st timers there... not really worth it, 

The fact that all the ride vehicles are visible to each otheris cheap and unaunacceptable. I won't get over that
Yeah, it kind of ruins the experience especially when you are inside a room in the Simpsons and you could hear all the movement and people screaming that happened the first time i went in but lucky I was trying hard not to hear

The fact that all the ride vehicles are visible to each otheris cheap and unaunacceptable. I won't get over that
That's totally true. I remember riding it a second time and looking at the people in the vehicle next to me and the entire experience was ruined. I couldn't ride it the same way anymore. The thing with The Simpsons Ride is that it took me a pretty long time to realize that all the ride vehicles are watching the same projections on the dome, rather than one at a time. Took a long time for me to connect the dots regarding the small pre-show rooms. Haha. 

I don't think the attractions are that comparable in terms of experience. If anything, I'd compare Despicable Me with Shrek 4D. (in fact, that should have been Shrek's replacement)

Last edited by a moderator:
If they wanted to have the open theater feel they should have used individual seat with D-Box. Why isnt D-Box used more when it has the best range of motion of any theater seat or theme park seat? to Expensive? to much maintenance? not reliable enough? 

^ D-Box wouldve been great for Shrek, but the simulator ride vehicles for Minon Mayhem have more ranges of motion and are more intense than D-box.

But Jon, I agree and totally always thought Minion Mayhem wouldve been perfect to replace Shrek....

Isn't it sad to think that our Shrek attraction is LESS advance than current 3D theatres with D-box seats? Kinda pathetic if you ask me. Makes me even more sad to see Shrek sitting there for a few more years.

Thing is, I don't hate Shrek. I like the movies. I just think the franchise feels wasted with its current attraction.

Despicable Me would've made a lot more sense in Shrek's place since it's kind of the "kid area" of the park (that is, until Curious George leaves). However, they have a lot more room over in the former T2 venue where they can also fit this "exclusive, Minion-themed" attraction next to Minion Mayhem. I stick with my opinion when I say it's too similar to The Simpsons Ride, but I agree, the queue is way cleaner and easier to navigate through. 

Lets see what happens with the "Minion-themed" attraction... lets hope that they impress us with something good.... and yes... Shrek needs an updated or it needs to go... it's a shame we have it as an attraction...

If they ultimately decide to update Shrek rather than replace it, I swear I will start ripping down the decor myself. The attraction's been here for almost a decade, though, so I don't think Universal will want to keep it here much longer. I think we can all have somewhat high expectations for Despicable Me. It's a nice ride, and we'll have some things Orlando doesn't, so it should be great. I just have a very slight fear that when Minion Mayhem arrives, there will be a huge emphasis on minions throughout the entire park.

Shrek would've originally made a fantastic dark ride. Pity that never happened.

And with Shrek being extended for another three years, by the end of it's run it will have been at USH for 13 years or so, same shelf life that BTTF had (about 14 years). Sad...

Shrek shouldn't have been here ANYWHERE near as long as BTTF. I would definitely be a bit more sad if it was originally a dark ride. Shrek 4D in Singapore is in the center of an entirely themed land just for the franchise. The elaborate atmosphere and great attention to detail would make you think that the main attraction is something worth while.. The key to a great ride is making the story timeless, which can definitely be applied to all the rides in the Lower Lot. Shrek's story, however, takes place right in between the first and second movie. Once you visit the attraction more than once, it gets very old very fast. In JP, you can venture through the world of the dinosaurs over and over. In the Mummy, you can escape from the clutches of Imhotep over and over. In Transformers, you can help battle the Decepticons over and over. In Shrek, Princess Fiona gets captured by Thelonius again and again and the same events just happen to occur every single time.

I think the saddest fact of reality is that the story just isn't exciting. In fact, when I was just a little tike, my mom saw a VHS tape in the store called "Shrek 3D" and decided to buy it for me. It came with little paper 3D glasses and everything. Little did I know, the VHS tape's video is the EXACT same video currently projected in Shrek 4D. I'm fairly sure the video was released prior to Shrek 4D's opening, but I could be wrong. Either way, it's just unbelievable.

^ it was released after the opening. Makes the attraction that much less interesting either way IMO. I literally have recreated the show experience at home for my sister with her being rocked back and forth in my office chair and with me spraying water at her. Haha.

See, now that's what's sad about Shrek 4D. A theme park attraction should be something worth paying for - something you can't find anywhere else (other than at a sister park). It shouldn't be something you can easily recreate at home.

Shrek shouldn't have been here ANYWHERE near as long as BTTF. I would definitely be a bit more sad if it was originally a dark ride. Shrek 4D in Singapore is in the center of an entirely themed land just for the franchise. The elaborate atmosphere and great attention to detail would make you think that the main attraction is something worth while.. The key to a great ride is making the story timeless, which can definitely be applied to all the rides in the Lower Lot. Shrek's story, however, takes place right in between the first and second movie. Once you visit the attraction more than once, it gets very old very fast. In JP, you can venture through the world of the dinosaurs over and over. In the Mummy, you can escape from the clutches of Imhotep over and over. In Transformers, you can help battle the Decepticons over and over. In Shrek, Princess Fiona gets captured by Thelonius again and again and the same events just happen to occur every single time.

I think the saddest fact of reality is that the story just isn't exciting. In fact, when I was just a little tike, my mom saw a VHS tape in the store called "Shrek 3D" and decided to buy it for me. It came with little paper 3D glasses and everything. Little did I know, the VHS tape's video is the EXACT same video currently projected in Shrek 4D. I'm fairly sure the video was released prior to Shrek 4D's opening, but I could be wrong. Either way, it's just unbelievable.
I don't think that it was a vhs, i remember I had the dvd Shrek 3-D with the same paper glasses but I wonder what happened to it? Also Transformers slowly gets old in my opinion.