Despicable Me: Minion Mayhem (USH) | Page 12 | Inside Universal Forums

Despicable Me: Minion Mayhem (USH)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Might be, you never know, maybe it's a test sign. I doubt it though. Sometimes Disney and Universal (but more so Disney) make themed construction signs for their workers. Maybe Universal did the same. It looks like one of the creatures that SSFL is themed to.
That signs look temporary to me. I wouldn't make much of it, since they were storing items for Universal Plaza in that location as well. I'm not saying that sign is for Plaza, but I'm guessing they're using that location as a dumping ground for construction.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh no, it's DEFINITELY temporary, i agree. Like I said, I think it's just a themed construction sign. Disney does it a lot. Look at some of the construction signs from the Big Thunder Mountain refurbishment project.

But I can almost 100% guarantee that it's themed to something from SSFL. The cut out's curly antennas look similar to the creatures the rides are themed to in the movie.

despicableme54.jpg

:)

https://www.youtube.com/embed/89gr6dDlItE?feature=oembed
wh0b28.jpg

Maybe it's a sign that they have ready to display on the OUTSIDE facing us to advertise SSFL? Similar to the old Simpsons construction cut outs they had.

No pictures but they placed some brick facing on the wall facing SSFL for the downtown area of Gru's neighborhood. The bluish layer of the exterior work has made it to the houses and there is a structure that is going to increase the height of the roofline (entirely interior queue?).

No pictures but they placed some brick facing on the wall facing SSFL for the downtown area of Gru's neighborhood. The bluish layer of the exterior work has made it to the houses and there is a structure that is going to increase the height of the roofline (entirely interior queue?).
Yeah, I took pics of that a few days ago! Forgot to upload the brick facade pics

If that's official opening date, barring delays you should be able to enjoy the ride about a month before due to AP previews and soft openings (Transformers opened a month early). At the rate they're currently working, I can imagine the ride is getting close to being done already.

I've said this once and I'll say it again: Despicable Me has no date set, not even internally. Currently right now it's Spring 2014.

Universal really, reaaaallllyyy wants it to soft open during the Spring Break period that occurs in April, but no promises. As we saw with Universal Plaza, let's see how fast the construction work goes.

Reactions: ...
SSFL hasn't even broke ground. I'm pretty sure it will still be under construction while the ride is soft opening. A path will probably be made from the exit store to the main path but SSFL won't open until probably the official grand opening date of the ride.

Really? It hasn't broke ground yet?! *rolls eyes*

I'm well aware of that....but we're talking about a kids play area and a spinner. I'm sure I'm not underestimating the area....they're gonna start on SSFL super soon and I'm sure between now and March or April, they'll be able to finish a new play area...especially considering most stuff for the area will be prefabricated off site and then installed. They're going to want this done fast.

Regardless, unless we are part of the construction crew, we're all speculating. We don't know how fast they'll pump out SSFL

I personally think Universal and it's contractors will be able to fully finish a play area and spinner in 7-8 months...

It doesn't matter how fast they build SSFL because the land is uninhabitable until some other event occurs (WWoHP Hollywood effect). My theory is that the land for SSFL was being used as a staging area for Universal Plaza and is being used currently for Minion Mayhem. Until all the large building materials are cleared from the area and the actual construction is done (basically when the facade work is mostly finished, building is repainted, queue is mostly finished, cherry pickers are gone, etc.) THEN SSFL can be built at whatever speed USH decides. Therefore, the ride will most likely open before SSFL even has a chance to move the infrastructure from Curious George over to the SSFL site and start work on the flat ride. This is one of the curses of not having the Orlando land area. Orlando can pump out attractions and areas so fast all at once because they don't have to use one of the sites for a staging area. Potter should move at a fairly brisk pace over here because the staging area seems to be behind the Curious George structure. Being on a cliff, DM's staging area has nowhere to go but Coke Soak which delays the opening of SSFL.

That was such a mouthful of jumbled thoughts but I'll be willing to eat a nice plate of crow if SSFL indeed opens before the ride.

In other news, this update by BehindTheThrills has some good insight on what is coming to SSFL.

http://behindthethrills.com/2013/09/universal-studios-hollywood-closes-multiple-attractions-to-make-room-for-the-wizarding-world-of-harry-potter/

The facades on Minion Mayhem are being finished at a great pace. And if the rumors that most of Curious George will be moved and rethemed as SSFL, then in my opinion, that's more the reason that it'll all be finished fairly soon. We're approximately 7-8.5 months from opening, I think the outside will be finished soon.

But hey, we'll see :)