Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Diagon Alley Soft Opening Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
And honestly, the grand opening day means little in the long run. If Diagon ups USF's attendance by a million in 2014 and raises guest spending in the park, it's done it's job. A huge line of people is great for buzz and hype, but doesn't matter in the end.

OK here is an interesting thought, what if the crouds don't show up? Everything seems oddly quiet right now. Tomorrow will obviously be crazy, but what if lightening doesn't strike twice?

I predict the total crowd increase as a result of DA will be significantly less than phase 1:

- HP fans were already coming en masse for phase 1, not a whole lot more will show up due solely to phase 2

- The HP movie franchise was at a climax during phase 1, that is over now.

- You hardly see any HP merchandise in stores anymore (toys, books, posters, clothes, etc.)

I also think opening day will be nothing like phase 1 - especially since people remember the nightmare of phase 1, and will avoid it in fear of a similar situation.

Almost :lock1: time! Seems my last Jaws ride was so recent. I was in the middle left seat that gets flooded by the ending electrocution Bruce! Time flies when great construction pics keep you eager :peace:

Also, we have to remember that people were coming from literally all over the world and descending on Orlando the first time. Now that USJ and Hollywood have Wizarding Worlds, the market has to have been split slightly.

I also don't think we will see the same type of crowds. For one, it's a weekday. Second, as others said, a lot of fans already headed to UOR the first time, may not do so again do to the insane crowds and overall slightly lower fandom. we will see I guess.

If the weather is anything like it has been the past few days here, I don't want to be caught sitting in any line during those mini-squalls. Screw that noise.

They only announced the opening date a few weeks ago, so there isn't the few months to plan vacations like when the first section opened...smaller crowds, but crowds nonetheless.

They only announced the opening date a few weeks ago, so there isn't the few months to plan vacations like when the first section opened...smaller crowds, but crowds nonetheless.

Yes this, and Comcast NBC/Universal wanted it this way. They may not have wanted to wait quite as many days as they did, but alas.

OK here is an interesting thought, what if the crouds don't show up? Everything seems oddly quiet right now. Tomorrow will obviously be crazy, but what if lightening doesn't strike twice?

i'm wondering what it would be like on the 9th, normal quiet like today/yesterday or crazy because it's after the 8th.

I am surprised that today is quiet. Especially since it was a long holiday weekend and right in the middle of summer vacations. Maybe people avoided this week because of last times issues?

Soft opening of Hogsmede was quiet too...as was Transformers..

I think at the very least this will bump Universal's attendance and further bump their guest spending to a staggering amount...The expansion should pay for itself in a year regardless of whether the Phase I crowds come or not...and that is at the very least

The fact everything soft opened hasn't been widely spread to the general public. When I got off the HE in IoA yesterday I saw people stunned to hear that DA was actually open over at USF.

I am surprised that today is quiet. Especially since it was a long holiday weekend and right in the middle of summer vacations. Maybe people avoided this week because of last times issues?

I think we may be seeing a small-scale version of what was discussed with people putting off vacations. A lot of people may have decided not to come for July 4th weekend because "Diagon Alley isn't open yet." I don't think the vast majority of people know what a soft open is or that any of these things open to the public before the Grand Opening. I've mentioned softs to a few family and friends, and they didn't know what I was talking about.

Soft opening of Hogsmede was quiet too...as was Transformers..

I think at the very least this will bump Universal's attendance and further bump their guest spending to a staggering amount...The expansion should pay for itself in a year regardless of whether the Phase I crowds come or not...and that is at the very least

Soft opening for Hogsmeade was done pretty much during off season. School was not out yet. July 4th weekend is prime vacation time.

Transformers was also not done during prime July 4th weekend and when I went during softs on a weekend the line was 45 to 60 minutes all day. I am hearing 10 to 20 minutes waits for HE. Now not sure if this was the case over the weekend or not.

Now I don't think this is doom and gloom for the expansion. I just think people are waiting to vacation until way after the July 8th opening and maybe are going elsewhere. I would have expected much higher waits for HE being that this is prime summer time.

The HE has a massive capacity, combine that with people not being aware it's open and people who buy 1 park passes not being able to ride, the short waits are no surprise. We'll see what kind of wait times it gets tomorrow.

It's sounding like all of Orlando is quieter than normal. From Touring Plans, yesterday, "Predicted crowd level of 6 for Magic Kingdom, actual crowd level was 4. Predicted level 5 for Epcot, actual crowd level was 3. Predicted 7 for DHS, actual crowd level was 6. Predicted 8 for Animal Kingdom, actual crowd level was 6." I've been seeing that same trend on Touring Plans the last couple of weeks, of Disney crowd levels lower than the Touring Plan projections. Those are fairly small crowd levels for this time of the year.

It's sounding like all of Orlando is quieter than normal. From Touring Plans, yesterday, "Predicted crowd level of 6 for Magic Kingdom, actual crowd level was 4. Predicted level 5 for Epcot, actual crowd level was 3. Predicted 7 for DHS, actual crowd level was 6. Predicted 8 for Animal Kingdom, actual crowd level was 6." I've been seeing that same trend on Touring Plans the last couple of weeks, of Disney crowd levels lower than the Touring Plan projections. Those are fairly small crowd levels for this time of the year.

The weather here has been nasty the last few days. Today it hasn't rained much, but for the whole day it's "felt" like it could any minute. Just hasn't felt like theme park weather in a few days. With that said, I'll be there tomorrow for the grand opening rain or shine. :smiley:

Status
Not open for further replies.