Did DisneyQuest ever have a chance? | Inside Universal Forums

Did DisneyQuest ever have a chance?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Could it have ever succeeded?

• They should have worked on it more

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • It was doomed from the start

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
Aug 12, 2021
DisneyQuest was an “indoor theme park” but really an over glorified arcade themed to Disney that; for several reasons; got its future canned and was left unchanged in the Orlando area for several years until it’s demolishment. Do you think it ever had a chance?

I still have something I made at the one in Chicago. Did they have Sid’s Toy Factory in Orlando?

• Wow
Reactions: Wesker69
DisneyQuest was an “indoor theme park” but really an over glorified arcade themed to Disney that; for several reasons; got its future canned and was left unchanged in the Orlando area for several years until it’s demolishment. Do you think it ever had a chance?

Even if they updated it regularly - tech was growing so fast, they were always playing catch up. So I'd say no.

I also think it suffered because we knew it was made by Disney in a way it wasn't obvious that GameWorks was a subsidiary of DreamWorks. We expect a premium product from Disney, and I'm not convinced that was ever going to be possible with this type of product. I went to many a birthday party at DreamWorks growing up in California, but it was just accepted as a Fancy/Expensive Arcade. Even if Disney hadn't marked it as an "indoor theme park," I'm not sure if it would have fared any better.

I also think it suffered because we knew it was made by Disney in a way it wasn't obvious that GameWorks was a subsidiary of DreamWorks. We expect a premium product from Disney, and I'm not convinced that was ever going to be possible with this type of product. I went to many a birthday party at DreamWorks growing up in California, but it was just accepted as a Fancy/Expensive Arcade. Even if Disney hadn't marked it as an "indoor theme park," I'm not sure if it would have fared any better.
Im learning today that GameWorks was a subsidiary of DreamWorks lol.

• Haha
Reactions: Jake S
I think disney quest could've definitely survived, especially if they made upgrades to the VR experiences and added newer ones too.

I LOVED DisneyQuest despite it being slightly a dumpster fire who saw budget-cuts here/there later on. Since I lived relatively close-ish, I ALMOST got an AP for it :eyes: :skull:

I remember it being kinda nifty when I first went as a tween (sorry I'm not mathing, I'm too old for that flashback). I was lucky enough to experience... Hercules(? too lazy to check). Years later POTC replaced it. I remember the remote control jeeps in the floor you had to navigate.

When I moved back to FL years later, I got that cast member hook-up for access, so I went at least 3 times. To some extent, I enjoyed it more as an adult. Go figure.

- Mighty Ducks Pinball Slam was a favorite of mine.
- Cyberspace Mountain was too much fun for a simulator lol (FUN FACT: There was a secret track layout that allowed you to do 13 inversions. Closest I got was between 8-10)
- Buzz Lightyear Astro Blaster Bumper Cars were so much fun! "Dodgeball" Bumper Cars

The VR stuff was "okay". The river rapids adventure simulator was entertaining. Alien Encounter was a disappointment for obvious reasons lol

As for the arcade... I played TRON, because duh. Found a haunted carnival shooting game I loved. And they had a DDR!!!!

Wowzers.. didn't mean to ramble on haha.. but I think DisneyQuest could've been improved & lasted longer. The one VR thingy could've easily become a Jedi training experience. There was a lot of potential, but they didn't really go all in. Also... wtf.. a Cheesecake Factory on the 5th floor. So lame.

Last edited:
I really wish they would have kept this up to date. DQ in its heyday was amazing!

Yeah it definitely turned into a dirty dumpster fire in its last years, but it was so much fun and had they kept it up to date I really think it could have shined.

Reactions: Jerroddragon
I think Disney could do something like this again and kill it

Even if it was more a themed restaurant with an attraction like VR as an option

An Indy restaurant, Marvel, Star Wars or Classic Disney themed place would kill it in major cities

Reactions: pumpkinbot343
....or you know... theme it mainly to Flynn's Arcade aka TRON

Which would've saved this place.
I think you can have a few of those but I do think the smartest move would be for most cities to have their own IP. So people traveling there would want to come see it vs if Tron is the only theme and they have 20 of them most might just skip it

But yes Tron would be a great theme, you can have arcade games a VR ride/attraction and have a restaurant as the staple that is always making money

It's Disney. People flock to the parks around the world even though they all feature/offer more or less the same things and/or themes/IPs.

So no. Multiple cities having their own IP would not be the smartest move. You have to have an anchor.