Disney Cruise Line | Inside Universal Forums

Disney Cruise Line

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Feb 1, 2008
Fort Myers, Florida
Has anyone ever been on a DCL ship? I have seen the Travel Channel spacial and they look amazing. I want to go on one some day. I am sure it would be a great experience.

For more info on the ship - check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disney_Cruise_Line

I also found some info on the fleet expanding.
The Disney Cruise Line confirmed plans yesterday afternoon to build two new unnamed ships that are planned to go into service in 2011 and 2012. The two yet-to-be-named ships will actually stand two stories taller than the Disney Wonder and Disney Magic and weighing in at an impressive 122,000 tons compared to the 83,000 tons of the older ships. The new twins will be built in Germany's Meyer Werft shipyard and feature 1,250 staterooms compared to the 877 staterooms on the first two. Right now they have not yet set the specific itineraries for the ships, but a previous rumor suggested that one might be sent periodically to the West coast to make the Alaska runs since the Wonder and Magic are not outfitted for that kind of environment.

The rumored names for the two new ships, “Disney Dream” and “Disney Celebration”.

The other thing that peaks my eye about the ships is they just added a Toy Story Musical replacing "Hercules -- A Muse-ical"
"Following the storyline of the original DisneyoPixar film, Toy Story-The Musical will give guests a toy's eye-view of life in Andy's room. The musical opens with an introduction to Woody, a pull-string talking cowboy who has long been six-year-old Andy's favorite toy. But Andy's birthday brings a new arrival - Buzz Lightyear, the coolest action figure in the universe. Woody's jealousy gets the better of him and he schemes to get rid of his new rival, but things go dreadfully awry. Woody and Buzz find themselves outside of Andy's room and in a hostile world. Working together and overcoming their differences, they find their way back to Andy - along the way developing an appreciation of one another and creating a friendship," describe press notes.
http://www.broadwayworld.com/viewcolumn.cfm?colid=25794

I always wanted to. But the kicker is I have to pay to fly to Florida then the cost for the cruise kicks in. Any of course when I'm down there I'll have to do parks as I'm not there often. For four people that would be atleast a $2,500 vacation and no chanve in hell I could do that now.

The Disney Cruise was my first cruise and it set the bar pretty high for my following cruises. It was absolutely fantastic and I'm hoping I can plan another Disney cruise in the next few years.

I get very seasick and easily so that's what's holding me back from planning one. I had a really bad experience with my first cruise and ended up spending the entire trip sleeping and throwing up. I only got to eat when we docked in the Bahamas because I couldn't hold anything down while on board the ship.

im also hoping in the future alex and i can go on a disney cruise! but the price is prob. a lot more than a regular cruise!

i went on a royal carribean 3 day cruise to the bahamas and loved it. it was like 325 a person.

The Disney Cruise was my first cruise and it set the bar pretty high for my following cruises. It was absolutely fantastic and I'm hoping I can plan another Disney cruise in the next few years.

Same here. The experience is amazing. I love just exploring the ship and finding little details. My favorite ship is the Disney Magic, just because of Animator's Palate.:happy:

I get very seasick and easily so that's what's holding me back from planning one. I had a really bad experience with my first cruise and ended up spending the entire trip sleeping and throwing up. I only got to eat when we docked in the Bahamas because I couldn't hold anything down while on board the ship.

They have seasickness bands you can wear on your wrist to prevent throwing up….

They have seasickness bands you can wear on your wrist to prevent throwing up….

Yeah I've looked into all the different things you can do. I'd have to test them out prior to the cruise though because they all have different side effects. I'd like to try the ear patch, but one of the possible side effects is you practically go blind for a day or so which apparently happens to a lot of people on it.

The wristband doesn't really sound like something that would work on me though because I read that it uses a type of acupressure on your wrist. So basically, its supposed to take your mind off the sickness and on the pressure its putting on your wrist. lol

The herbal remedies sound doable. Less to no side effects.

yea...and if it is real bad...you can get medicine...bonine...or there are even some prescription meds to stop sea sickness...

i thought the animation pallete was on both ships?

I'm pretty sure it is on the Wonder also. I thought I remember hearing that on the Travel Channel special.

Oh, I'm trying to remember, because I went on the Wonder and the Magic..

oh yeah, there was an animators palate on both ships never mind. :p

April 1, 2008 -- CRUISE ships have been advertising "Broadway-style shows" for years, but New Yorkers, who know a thing or two about Broadway, know better: Shows on the high seas are pure Vegas.

Broadway shows have plots. Broadway shows aren't silly rehashes of oldies songs (most aren't, anyway). Most importantly, Broadway shows don't have sequins - unless they're being ironic.

Disney Cruise Line, not a company to ignore its showman roots, has just become the first to write, design and mount an honest-to-goodness Broadway-style show for its Wonder ship.

Two weeks ago, NYP Travel was the first to check out its lavish new adaptation of "Toy Story," which beat this year's Broadway movie adaptations "Cry-Baby" and "Shrek" to the stage, albeit a floating one.

The show, which was overseen by the original film's director, John Lasseter (now a Disney bigwig), is an elaborate and remarkably faithful reproduction of the look and colors of the film - plus songs - occupying every free cubic inch of the backstage theater space. To simulate the outsized scale of the 1995 movie, actors wear huge toy costumes (Mr. Potato Head), some of which inflate to fill the stage. One character even flies.

The hour-long musical's pedigree and entertainment style are way outside the cruise ship norm, even in comparison to the other shows Disney mounts on its ships, usually treacly, kid-aimed revues about "dreams" and "magic."

The company gave the project more attention, and money, than is usually assigned to travel-industry entertainment.

Three of the supporting actor from the films - Wallace Shawn, John Ratzenberger and Don Rickles - taped dialogue and songs for their original characters to mouth onstage. Music and lyrics are by Brendan Milburn and Valerie Vigoda, whom New Yorkers know as part of the rock band that wrote the off-Broadway show "Striking 12," and the book is by Mindi Dickstein, who wrote Broadway's recent "Little Women."

Not a bad review. The New Yorker thinks this is broadway quality...and thats a plus! I hope to see it one day!

Due to continually rising fuel prices, Disney Cruise Line® is implementing a fuel surcharge. The surcharge is $8 per person, per day for the first two Guests in a stateroom and $3 per day for all other Guests. It is effective for new bookings only made on or after May 28, 2008. Additionally, the surcharge will be capped at $112 each for the first and second Guests in a stateroom and $42 each for all other Guests in the stateroom.

that increases a 3 day cruise price 50 bucks. kinda makes you wonder - why they do not just keep the rates for the room consistent with the gas prices...

The surcharge amounts match Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. and are slightly higher than charged by Carnival Corp.

Disney Cruise Line had been the last major holdout since Carnival, Royal Caribbean and other cruise lines adopted fuel surcharges late last year. But Disney spokeswoman Christi Erwin Donnan said the company finally decided to adopt its own fuel fee with record oil prices showing no signs of abating.

"Fuel costs continue to affect many, and the impact on us has been no exception," she said.

Like Carnival, Disney says it will rescind its fuel surcharge once oil spends 30 days trading below $70 per barrel. It has recently been trading near $120 per barrel.

Last edited:
Update on construction of new ships...

Disney Cruise Line on Monday announced that construction has started in Germany on two new ships that will be stationed at Port Canaveral.

The massive ships, being built at the Meyer Werft shipyard in Papenburg, Germany, are scheduled to arrive in Florida in 2011 and 2012.

They were part of a deal announced last year between Disney and Port Canaveral that will have the cruise line sailing from Brevard County for the next 15 years.

Each of the new ships will carry 4,000 passengers. That is 1,300 more than the existing Disney Magic and Disney Wonder liners that operate from Port Canaveral now.

Port Canaveral officials are spending up to $10 million to build Disney a 1,000-space parking garage. The port will borrow an additional $22 million to finance upgrades to Disney's custom terminal. The construction work must be complete by Oct. 1, 2010.

Each ship will have 1,250 staterooms and will weigh 128,000 tons.

Norwegian Cruise Line said it would begin seven-day cruises from Port Canaveral in 2010.

floridatoday.com

Also... the west coast is trying to get a Disney ship.

Port district courts Disney Cruise Line
By Penni Crabtree (Contact) Union-Tribune Staff Writer
2:00 a.m. March 3, 2009
Recent trips to the Mediterranean and to the West Coast set booking records within the Disney Cruise Line company. (Disney) - Here's a Mouse you want to see leaving the ship.
The San Diego Unified Port District said yesterday that it is negotiating to become the home port for a Walt Disney Cruise Line ship that will be the first lodged on the West Coast.
San Diego is vying with the San Pedro port in the Los Angeles area for the new Disney family-cruise business slated to begin in February 2011.
The San Diego Regional Economic Development Corp. put together a proposal to attract Disney, including up to $5 million in proposed financing from the San Diego County Regional Airport Authority to improve cruise-ship-terminal facilities, according to a staff report by the airport authority.
The Economic Development Corp. referred questions to port officials. Rita Vandergaw, cruise program director for the port district, confirmed that the port is courting Disney, as well as other cruise lines, for new business.
Rena Langley, spokeswoman for Disney Cruise Line, said the company is “exploring our options for the future.” In Germany yesterday, Disney began construction on two ocean liners, cutting a first piece of steel with a Mickey Mouse design that will decorate the bow of the ships.
Disney traditionally offers Caribbean cruises, but recent trips to the Mediterranean and to the West Coast set booking records within the company and booked 30 percent to 50 percent faster than the existing itineraries, according to a recent Disney news release.
The company has not released details about proposed itineraries or home ports for the new 122,000-ton cruise liners, which will be two decks taller than two existing 83,000-ton ships, the Disney Magic and the Disney Wonder. The new ships are scheduled for completion in 2011 and 2012.
The port district is preparing to build a $28 million cruise-ship terminal on the Broadway Pier, with about $10 million of the cost covered by a loan from the Carnival cruise line.
The port is also discussing potential infrastructure improvements to its B Street pier with various cruise lines, Vandergaw said. One of the key requirements for Disney will be upgraded terminal facilities to handle the passenger traffic, according to the airport authority report.
The airport board is expected Thursday to consider the proposed $5 million in port funding, which would be earmarked for the B Street pier, Vandergaw said.
Currently, the port can berth two cruise ships at its B Street pier but processes cruise-ship guests from a tent, rather than a modern facility. The port has one berth at its Broadway pier and, after the construction project is completed, will be able to handle two cruise ships there.
“We either improve our facilities or we do not grow our cruise business,” Vandergaw said. “Our cruise-line customers have told us we need to make improvements so their cruise guests go through a finished facility and not a tent.”
Last year, cruise ships carrying more than 900,000 passengers made over 260 stops in San Diego, Vandergaw said. Regular cruise business includes Carnival and Holland America, which operate cruises to Mexico, Hawaii, the Caribbean and other locations.
Vandergaw said Disney is expected to make a decision about its West Coast home port later this month

signonsandiego.com (stay classy san diego ;))

Screamscape reported last week that there is a rumor that each of the new ships is going to have an exciting waterslide that has a portion that is a clear tube and takes you out over the edge of the ship so that the only thing between your butt and the water 6 stories below is a thin clear peice of plastic.

Screamscape reported last week that there is a rumor that each of the new ships is going to have an exciting waterslide that has a portion that is a clear tube and takes you out over the edge of the ship so that the only thing between your butt and the water 6 stories below is a thin clear peice of plastic.

Oh heck no... that is scary. I love cruises but the thought of falling off into the ocean scares the bejesus outta me. :look:

Yeah you wouldn't catch me on that slide. With my luck it would bust open and I'd go plummeting down into the water.

Disney Adds Dream, Fantasy Cruise Ships To Fleet
Expansion Doubles Theme Park Giant's Cruise Line Capacity

CELEBRATION, Fla. - Walt Disney World announced the names of two new cruise ships, Dream and Fantasy, that will join the theme park giant's fleet.

Similar to the Disney Magic and Disney Wonder, the names were chosen to celebrate Disney's unique heritage of creating enchanting places and stories where dreams really do come true, according to a news release.

The ships were constructed at the Meyer Werft shipyard in Papenburg, Germany, and designers drew inspiration from art deco and whimsical styles and are geared toward families.

According to a news release, the expansion will more than double the passenger capacity for Disney Cruise Line. Each ship will have 1,250 staterooms and will each be 128,000 tons.

msnbc.com