Disney to Buy Marvel | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

Disney to Buy Marvel

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
A Star Wars Weekend type of event would be great. If they put that in place of Star Wars Weekend not so great.

I second that motion. Star Wars weekends is a big hit, and it would much rather them add a whole new weekend-palooza. Disney World has a few events, but not a lot. Wouldn't adding another actually give them more bussiness?

I second that motion. Star Wars weekends is a big hit, and it would much rather them add a whole new weekend-palooza. Disney World has a few events, but not a lot. Wouldn't adding another actually give them more bussiness?

I'm sure it would give them more business. And I don't know when they would put it I just hope we have Star Wars in summer and Marvel in fall.

Interesting...

A new kink has arrived in the Disney / Marvel Comics deal, though Disney say it doesn’t concern them at all right now. It seems the family of comic’s legend Jack Kirby have filed a notice that they will attempt a to regain a portion of control of certain charters he helped create while at Marvel Comics. Copyright law does allow for this kind of hearing to take place 56 years after the first publication, which would bring Fantastic Four up in 2017, Hulk in 2018 and X-Men in 2019.

Credit: Screamscape

It's Official Disney Own Marvel

What has long been expected is now finally official — the pending merger between Marvel Entertainment and The Walt Disney Company is a done deal.

According to an official press release from Marvel Entertainment, a special meeting held this morning between Marvel stockholders resulted in the approval of the deal that was first announced at the end of August.

While the press release notes that the merger's completion "is subject to satisfaction of remaining conditions" of a previously filed statement by Disney, the hard part is certainly over. Barring something unforeseen and catastrophic, Marvel will be owned by Disney as soon as "today after the close of the market."

The earlier announcement that Marvel would be purchased by Disney was easily the biggest comic book news story of the year, if not the entire decade. Just the thought of Spider-Man, Captain America, Iron Man and more joining the entertainment juggernaut that houses Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck and their pals is enough to provoke plenty of positive, negative and mixed reactions alike from the comic book community.

It's still far too early to know exactly how Disney's acquisition of Marvel will effect the comic book publisher and its many properties — even if some minor details are already public — but it's only appropriate that the last day of 2009 brought about the finalization of the biggest comic book news story of the year. Here's hoping that 2010 is similarly epic.

http://splashpage.mtv.com/2009/12/3...tockholders-approve-walt-disney-company-deal/

Wonder what effect this is going to have on IOA i think we will be sayin :wave: to Marvel Land soon :'(

If that does happen what would u like to be done to the area ?

Very interesting article. I personally think the 2 year arrangement is just cushion for Universal to find a replacement. From Screamscape:

(2/4/10) According to this article, Disney could end up facing a few Anti-Trust issues brought about by their purchase of Marvel comics, caused by Marvel’s previous relationship deal with Universal Orlando. It gets complicated, so real on here for the details and what-if’s.

Marvel acquisition to cause legal issue?
Wednesday, February 3 2010, 04:32 GMT
By Mark Langshaw, Gaming/Comics Reporter

Disney's $4bn (£2.5bn) purchase of Marvel has put the firm at risk of antitrust complaints, according to legal experts.

Due to an existing agreement between the comic book giant and Universal, the recent merger could grant Disney access to inside-information on its competitor, leading to a legal dispute between the Walt Disney World and Universal Orlando theme parks.

"What an antitrust regulator would be concerned about very clearly is the notion that Disney and Universal would be able to co-ordinate their activities in the theme park business," said Randal Picker, a commercial-law professor at the University of Chicago. "You'd really want to be careful with this."

In what is thought to be a bid to prevent the situation from escalating, Disney and Universal have signed an agreement in which corporate Disney promises not to share any information gained through the Marvel deal with its theme park sector.

"This looks like a 'fix-it-first' attempt to avoid any appearance that there's price collusion going on. That's what the concern would be if I were an antitrust enforcer," added William Page of University of Florida's Levin College of Law.

Both Disney and Universal have the option to cancel the confidentiality pact after two years

Wow, I never thought of that, doesn't sound too good for universal. and what's going to happen with the "Land of Legendary Heroes" in Universal Studios Dubailand? Is it going to be built?

It's still on, it's just been delayed. The Marvel Theme Park project was totally separate from Universal theme parks. It is unknown of the Marvel park will be part of Disney's park chain however.

Weren't they paying royalties anyway? Why would that suddenly be an issue other than it's Disney, their biggest competitor being allowed to see the books?

The issue isn't royalties, but the idea of possible violation of Anti-Trust laws. The thought process was if Universal shows Disney their books, and it showcases future plans for Universal in an effort to make profit, Disney could turn around and tell the Parks division "Hey guess what Universal is doing? You guys should do this to combat it".

The issue isn't royalties, but the idea of possible violation of Anti-Trust laws. The thought process was if Universal shows Disney their books, and it showcases future plans for Universal in an effort to make profit, Disney could turn around and tell the Parks division "Hey guess what Universal is doing? You guys should do this to combat it".

But they obviously have this confidentiality pact in place to protect against that. I don't know why Universal would cancel it after two year. I guess Disney would possibly want to. I don't know. All I know is that if I were Universal, I'd fight tooth and nail to keep the Marvel franchises. If they ever lose the Spider-Man ride, they should just shut down IOA. That would be such a collossal hit. And I know one of you is gonna try and argue that Transformers or something would bring as many people in, but you're wrong.

But they obviously have this confidentiality pact in place to protect against that. I don't know why Universal would cancel it after two year. I guess Disney would possibly want to. I don't know. All I know is that if I were Universal, I'd fight tooth and nail to keep the Marvel franchises. If they ever lose the Spider-Man ride, they should just shut down IOA. That would be such a collossal hit. And I know one of you is gonna try and argue that Transformers or something would bring as many people in, but you're wrong.

Not much they can do at the point. I honestly think the 2 years was put into place so Universal can think of a replacement. I find it very hard to believe that Universal will want Disney thumbing through their books for a long period of time. Plus, by then Potter will have opened and will probably be IoA's "crowned jewel".

Not much they can do at the point. I honestly think the 2 years was put into place so Universal can think of a replacement. I find it very hard to believe that Universal will want Disney thumbing through their books for a long period of time. Plus, by then Potter will have opened and will probably be IoA's "crowned jewel".

I guess I'm gonna have to save up money for Disney APs then. :shrug:

So Spiderman is the only reason you enjoy IoA? :lol: If Spidey does get replaced, it doesn't mean Transformers is a lock. Michael Bay isn't a fan of the future attractions.

So Spiderman is the only reason you enjoy IoA? :lol: If Spidey does get replaced, it doesn't mean Transformers is a lock. Michael Bay isn't a fan of the future attractions.

Look at my handle, Brian haha. Yes, it is by far my favorite attraction of any theme park right now. If Disney screws Universal on this, I will be severely, severely disappointed.