1. Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Make sure to sign up and join the community! It's fast, free, and easy! DO IT!

Disneyland’s Attendance Issues Summer 2019

Discussion in 'Disneyland Resort' started by Joe, Jun 29, 2019.

1. Joe

Joe aka TestTrack321 Staff Member Moderator

There's a min-max situation here and I don't think DL has hit that threshold where more guests doesn't mean more spending.

2. shiekra38

shiekra38 Veteran Member

I thought we were talking about WDW

I'd agree that DL needs a boost in attendance

3. devinp267

devinp267 Premium Member

I know this.. but i was reassured yesterday at the park(ioa). It was hot and shoulder to shoulder and our plan was to ride hagrid and gtfo of there. It was a line to get in line for 3 broomsticks, just miserable. Only reason i was there was for hagrid's but the state of the atmosphere was a mess!! But it seems the out of state people are the ones that are forced to go in summer, locals know better.

4. tyro

tyro Rookie

I just received an email to get 30% off a stay at WDW until 8/28 (day before Galaxy's Edge opens) so this is a issue on both coasts. And may not be as related to Galaxy's Edge overhype/scaring away as others have stated and more to do with an overall decline of onsite stays at Disney in general. I would love to be a fly in the wall to see the data that the company is pulling as to why this is happening.

5. shiekra38

shiekra38 Veteran Member

Universal is awful with smashing people into small areas

I thought Star Wars was supposed to fix that

6. Ryan

Ryan Staff Member Moderator

I remember those days three years ago, when USH was introducing a new AP almost every week and people were baffled by the soft attendance. Eventually, however, Uni got it right. It of course required them to retire some of their ego, which even with this $99 deal, I don't think Disney is similarly capable of. The peak pricing in particular is outrageous, $149 for 1 park was just a step too far for a regional theme park, no matter if Disney doesn't want to admit that.

Yup yup yup. And before somebody brings up that tired "but the wait for Smuggler's Run!!" argument again, please remember capacity and how that affects wait times. Simply put some are putting their obvious biases in when trying to connect the dots of this issue, and that's very, very clear.

Freak, 12th Man, fryoj and 2 others like this.
  7. Nick

Nick Staff Member Moderator

Also, can we please remember that SR is running without Fastpass at the moment, too?

Crowds are low, no doubt, but Smugglers Run has pretty damn high capacity.

Freak, GadgetGuru, fryoj and 2 others like this.
  8. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Premium Member

As I've said in the WDW threads, almost all the WDW hotels have plenty of classifications of rooms available for most of the Fall. In the past, if you didn't get a room more than six months before your trip, the room choices got pretty slim. Not so right now. I find that interesting. I'm guessing GESWL at DHS will be crowded, but I think those crowds will be more fueled by locals, and just the normal stream of tourists. Hotel bookings look soft at this point in time, unless there's a late spurt with some booking promotions.

9. GAcoaster

GAcoaster Veteran Member

Yet they're building more rooms on Disney property, and in the surrounding area. Even with the growth of all the Orlando parks attendance, there has to be SOME saturation point for the number of hotel rooms in Orlando. Yet, Disney, Universal, Marriott, Hilton, etc, just keep building more and more hotels. I'm guessing we'll see Disney start lowering the price point on some of their hotels as all this new inventory comes online. I can't see why anyone would pay more than about $100 a night for All Stars.

fryoj and Joe like this.
  10. shiekra38

shiekra38 Veteran Member

It really is crazy how much WDW is expanding their hotels...I hope it isn't all in anticipation for SWL and the 50th

GadgetGuru likes this.
  11. Joe

Fair but this thread is about Disneyland.

12. fryoj

fryoj Premium Member

I got the same offer and noticed the end date.

The offer ends before Star Wars opens. The offer is about a weak summer crowd. Could be overall pricing of people waiting for SW.

13. Joe

Some anecdotal info

14. quinnmac000

quinnmac000 Veteran Member

Here is a video where almost all the rides after SWGE was opened and everything is literally walk on

shiekra38 and tielo like this.
  15. tielo

tielo Veteran Member

For everyone who said that Disney wanted this, you are wrong. Heads are going to roll and more will be cut to satisfy the investors. As a result that will not make future park goers happy.

Lucky Planet likes this.
  16. Joe

I believe Disney wanted a pleasant and easy access to SWGE and the new merch and good there, but not at the cost of historically low attendance.

SeventyOne, Ryan, Nick and 1 other person like this.
  17. Scott W.

Scott W. Premium Member

Spot on. On the more Disney centric forums, there is a lot of confusion and even panic about the current situation.

I don’t really know how I feel about it. I’m still on the fence about going out west in September, my original hesitation was that it was going to be a mad house with crazy long queues and it may still happen. Now, my hesitation is, is Star Wars worth it?

I think once RotR opens, it will be back to business as normal and I hope that the current situation is putting Disney in an even higher gear if possible to get it open.

Lucky Planet and Mad Dog like this.
  18. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Premium Member

Kind of depends on whether MF is your type of ride, with the gaming type interactivity. If not, from everything we're seeing, it seems you should wait until RotR opens. Perhaps, with all of these circumstances, Disney will open it sooner than later.

19. shiekra38

shiekra38 Veteran Member

Softs went extremely well, and then a drop off

20. Joe

There was a drop during the reservation period (I refuse to call it soft open after Disneyland calls it “now open”).

SeventyOne likes this.