Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Disneyland’s Attendance Issues Summer 2019

I'm told it's related.

Dancers in Lion King show are getting cut end of July, too. I would expect other cuts/reduced showtimes/character encounters. Embarrassing.
I would be better with these cuts if Disney just said that the News Boys were going away for the summer, but would be back in the fall. Right now, I wouldn't be surprised if DL is in the red so I understand they have to make some changes, but things are gonna bounce back, especially once APs get back into the parks. Straight up cutting an entertainment act that really brings life to Buena Vista Street is a big loss.

I would be better with these cuts if Disney just said that the News Boys were going away for the summer, but would be back in the fall. Right now, I wouldn't be surprised if DL is in the red so I understand they have to make some changes, but things are gonna bounce back, especially once APs get back into the parks. Straight up cutting an entertainment act that really brings life to Buena Vista Street is a big loss.

Sadly, once these entertainment offerings are gone, it's hard to justify the additional spend to bring them back. Why sacrifice any profit margin when things bounce back?

Pressler 2.0. The news is dire.

Sadly, once these entertainment offerings are gone, it's hard to justify the additional spend to bring them back. Why sacrifice any profit margin when things bounce back?

Well, if anything, maybe a new show will come of it down the line. The News Boys were 7+ years old (although always entertaining). I'm not expecting new entertainment, but now that they're gonna be gone, it does provide the opportunity for someone in entertainment to pitch a new idea for the area once DLR is running healthy again.

Yeah it sucks, but once SoCal is back in, they’ll rebound. I think Disney refuses to admit they hit their price ceiling.

Well, if anything, maybe a new show will come of it down the line. The News Boys were 7+ years old (although always entertaining). I'm not expecting new entertainment, but now that they're gonna be gone, it does provide the opportunity for someone in entertainment to pitch a new idea for the area once DLR is running healthy again.
You really believe what you are saying?
Disney lost a ton of money last month and they are going to cut as much as they can to make sure their shareholders won't notice it too much. It's the only way the mouse thinks. In it's place they will (re introduce the nighttime parade for a short time so they can say they added something (while that parade was always a regular in the past). It's the pathetic short term way the mouse thinks and it kills the chicken with the golden eggs.

You really believe what you are saying?
Disney lost a ton of money last month and they are going to cut as much as they can to make sure their shareholders won't notice it too much. It's the only way the mouse thinks. In it's place they will (re introduce the nighttime parade for a short time so they can say they added something (while that parade was always a regular in the past). It's the pathetic short term way the mouse thinks and it kills the chicken with the golden eggs.
I literally said I don’t expect any new entertainment :lol:

If anything, it would be a way down the line thing is all I’m saying. It’s not implausible that a few years from now, a new entertainment option in place of the News Boys. But obviously not until the financial situation is well stabilized.

They're losing money and want to attract new customers and their idea is to cut things while still charging an inflated price?

tenor.gif

They're losing money and want to attract new customers and their idea is to cut things while still charging an inflated price?

tenor.gif
Gotta keep those Executive/Upper Management big bonuses coming in. Priorities and all. That's the true panic.....And, they're trying to figure out how to spin this to the Board of Directors....Gotta believe there will be a sacrificial goat. :blackeye:

The BOD is gonna wonder where the boat load of cash they were promised is.

It is curious, I can't think of a single other incidence where opening a lavishly themed land based on an enormously popular IP resulted in attendance numbers cratering at a top 10 park. TDA/WDI/DisCo. obviously did something wrong here.

Because of the absurd ticket pricing now, are people just waiting to visit a Disney Park as a vacation rather than a 1-day visit? It's possible that lots of people around the country (and the world) are moving their vacations to WDW as a way to "save" money on tickets, since they become cheaper the more days you visit. $150 for a one-day ticket to DL or $400 for 5 days at WDW?

Yes DL is a vacation destination as well, but the majority of the public believes that World is a better vacation than DL.

It is curious, I can't think of a single other incidence where opening a lavishly themed land based on an enormously popular IP resulted in attendance numbers cratering at a top 10 park. TDA/WDI/DisCo. obviously did something wrong here.
Yes....and what's kind of ironic, after many here analyzed these events of the past two weeks, some posters were upset and insinuated the criticisms were unwarranted.....Well, Disney actually seems to be the one in pure panic mode, and probably taking more draconian steps than are really needed, just to justify what's happened. They'd probably be better off to admit they made mistakes and cut summer ticket prices and let the Select AP holders back in now, & be upfront about RotR real status, instead of gutting staffing and entertainment,. ....This is a really really bad look

Because of the absurd ticket pricing now, are people just waiting to visit a Disney Park as a vacation rather than a 1-day visit? It's possible that lots of people around the country (and the world) are moving their vacations to WDW as a way to "save" money on tickets, since they become cheaper the more days you visit. $150 for a one-day ticket to DL or $400 for 5 days at WDW?

Yes DL is a vacation destination as well, but the majority of the public believes that World is a better vacation than DL.
Well a 5 day ticket at DL is $340 ($395 for PH). Sure you have 2 less parks but a lot packed into the parks. but we are talking apples and oranges.

Well a 5 day ticket at DL is $340 ($395 for PH). Sure you have 2 less parks but a lot packed into the parks. but we are talking apples and oranges.

Didn't do my research... should have :grin:. But my main point is that less and less people are visiting the parks as a one-day thing and instead saving it for their vacation that comes around every other year or so.

What about USH with Potter?

God I'd have loved to been in that room when they decided that their response to soft attendance was to cut entertainment. The absolute stupidity in that thought process.....

Didn't do my research... should have :grin:. But my main point is that less and less people are visiting the parks as a one-day thing and instead saving it for their vacation that comes around every other year or so.
Agree and that DL have fewer hotel options that makes sense. I certainly would go to FL over CA for a week vacation. But LA does have a lot to offer outside the mouse house.

Potter gave USH a 2 million attendence bump (16/17). Maybe not as much as they expected but it's undoubtedly been a success and is probably why they have continued to let the investment flow in.

Cost is definitely what is keeping me away, I'll go when ROTR is open so I can get more for my $$$.
Yeah but USH had not much going for it before Potter. Disney isn't going to see the big bump like potter did but they certainly didn't expect what is happening how.

Potter gave USH a 2 million attendence bump (16/17). Maybe not as much as they expected but it's undoubtedly been a success and is probably why they have continued to let the investment flow in.

Cost is definitely what is keeping me away, I'll go when ROTR is open so I can get more for my $$$.
Yeah but USH had not much going for it before Potter. Disney isn't going to see the big bump like potter did but they certainly didn't expect what is happening how.

I know, I was just saying potter opening at USH was a success, they didn't have the problems Disneyland is having.

Olivanders sold one million dollars worth of wands in one day.

Wow. I love a good fact, never heard that before! :thumbsup:

Last edited: