Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Disneyland’s Attendance Issues Summer 2019

Since they have to get approved, probably.

It's kind of funny how important precedent is to people's attitudes. The majority of people don't get angry when Universal does nothing but IPs because they've only done one original land throughout its history. If Orlando's HHN had always been like Hollywood's HHN no one would've gotten angry when 2012 came. Heck, I've seen plenty of people on Hollywood's HHN discussion who do not want more original content. We truly are creatures of habit.
Interesting. But why did Universal Orlando HHN do the 2012 “I.P.” thing? It appears a certain group of people were able to live their teenage years with originality and creativity around them. Me, not so much. I wish I could’ve had a similar experience as some of you all.

It's kind of funny how important precedent is to people's attitudes. The majority of people don't get angry when Universal does nothing but IPs because they've only done one original land throughout its history. If Orlando's HHN had always been like Hollywood's HHN no one would've gotten angry when 2012 came. Heck, I've seen plenty of people on Hollywood's HHN discussion who do not want more original content. We truly are creatures of habit.

Quick off-topic, but I do find it funny how HHN Orlando fans got angry over the IP thing in 2012 and yet they already had two major IP-heavy years under their belt beforehand (HHN 17 - Carnival of Carnage) and (HHN 19 - Ripped From The Silver Screen)..

Quick off-topic, but I do find it funny how HHN Orlando fans got angry over the IP thing in 2012 and yet they already had two major IP-heavy years under their belt beforehand (HHN 17 - Carnival of Carnage) and (HHN 19 - Ripped From The Silver Screen)..
Jumping off of that, it's also very strange to me how people can attribute presence of IP with lack of originality

This isn’t good. They’re putting themselves in a downward spiral.

High price causes guest to not attend. Lack of attendance leads to cuts. Cuts lead to lower attendance. Lower attendance leads to additional cuts...

I actually expected them to try and add some special limited time fireworks/parades/shows to try and increase attendance. I will say my 22 year old son who loves all things star wars had a mehh response to me asking if we should plan a family trip. He said the MF looked great, but he has no attachment to the land itself.

Those two years had a central theme, 2012 onwards did not.

It's kind of funny how important precedent is to people's attitudes. The majority of people don't get angry when Universal does nothing but IPs because they've only done one original land throughout its history. If Orlando's HHN had always been like Hollywood's HHN no one would've gotten angry when 2012 came. H

Interesting. But why did Universal Orlando HHN do the 2012 “I.P.” thing? It appears a certain group of people were able to live their teenage years with originality and creativity around them. Me, not so much. I wish I could’ve had a similar experience as some of you all.

The "IP Thing" in 2012 wasn't due to the usage of IPs, but what IPs were used. Alice Cooper and Penn & Teller aren't exactly horror. Orlando fans were also unenthusiastic about park-wide "roaming scare zones". The event was impacted by a lot of changes as well, which is why it's considered a weaker year.

Heck, I've seen plenty of people on Hollywood's HHN discussion who do not want more original content. We truly are creatures of habit.

Do you mean the 1 person?

Hoooo boy. I think Disney is going to be in really big trouble the rest of this year and next year. A lot of people who went, including me, are claiming there’s no familiarity...it doesn’t feel like Star Wars. Maybe people will be more interested once Rise opens, but even then, despite how detailed and cool-looking GE is, fans are “eh” about it.

Marvel is their hottest property right now. I wonder how guests are going to feel about the biggest craze right now being a downsized land being anchored with a Midway Mania clone next year? You know guests are going to be expecting a lot from Disney pushing a Marvel land with a ride based on Marvel’s most popular character. I think Disney is going to be in for some more pushback for mishandling their IPs.

If there seems to be some pushback from their Marvel land, maybe this might inspire the bean counters to....gee, I don’t know....ALLOW ORIGINAL IDEAS FOR RIDES.
Honestly, they're doing "Marvel" all wrong. Not just the rides, because that seems to be obvious. But "Marvel", isn't a theme. They should be using Marvel IP to make individual lands based on Wakanda, Marvel's NYC (with a Doctor Strange Sanctum Sanctorum ride, Stark Tower and Spider-Man), and then there's the whole cosmic realm of the Marvel Universe to dig into. The possibilities for Marvel lands are endless.

Just doing a Marvel land as a SHIELD mish-mash land is so lazy, cheap and void of any creativity. Even in WDW, where they can use GotG, they're wasting a chance at a land in DHS. They could've easily put GotG in DHS along with a Doctor Strange ride and boom, WDW would have their skirt-around-the-contract Marvel land. They couldn't even get that right.

With the low attendance at Disneyland I'm wondering if USH is benefitting from an attendance bump, anyone know if visitor numbers are up?

Would be ironic if a refurbishment of a 20 year old ride provided more of a visitor increase than a major new $1 billion Star Wars land.

The craziest part of this is thinking that it could only just be beginning. Just a few weeks like this have been such a huge break with the status quo, but now people are talking about Halloween bookings maybe being a bit soft and the likelihood that q3 and q4 numbers will both be bad prior to RotR opening in Jan. Could it really be possible that 5-6 months from now this will still be going on? Six months of dead Disneyland would be almost unprecedented and unthinkable.

Didn't Disney promise like robots running around GE and other entertainment? I know they held of on it because they didn't want a good first impression or something, but maybe it is time they role out that stuff to see if it helps the overall perception. There was also that thing with super realistic light sabers that I still haven't seen. Or maybe it was all pr bullpoop and they again over promised and under delivered.

2019-june-7-Adults-at-Kids-Blogger-FB-Logo.jpg

But seriously, it sucks that the cast members are taking the majority of the cuts for low crowds. You think that some of the upper management would take some of the force, but Disney is too vain for that.

They'll cut management the same day they cut the admission prices....Yeah sure. ...NEVER!!!....:lol: