Disneyland Resort | Page 33 | Inside Universal Forums

Disneyland Resort

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I don't understand why you're being so dogmatic about this. Cars Land was sizable addition - that's a fact. Universal Studios Florida saw a 17% increase in attendance when Diagon Alley opened. By your logic, that's mild too, yes?

:blink:

Look, I adore World of Color, but Disneyland and Disney California Adventure only saw a 1% increase in attendance for both parks in 2011.

Sorry, but you're just wrong on both points. Completely wrong.

There's a tendency for the theme park community to conflate their interests with that of the general public. Just because you aren't a fan of a certain franchise doesn't mean said franchise doesn't resonate with the public. This sheer disconnect between fact and opinion boggles my mind. It's fine to have an opinion, but it's not fine when your opinions aren't based on concrete evidence.

Sources:

2011 attendance figures - http://www.teaconnect.org/images/files/TEA_26_543179_140617.pdf

2012 attendance figures - http://www.aecom.com/deployedfiles/Internet/Capabilities/Economics/_documents/2012%20Theme%20Index%20Combined_1-1_online.pdf

2015 attendance figures - http://www.teaconnect.org/images/files/TEA_103_49736_150603.pdf

I suppose you're right about my opinion impacting my point of view of the success of Cars Land and i'm speaking more from my heart and i'll accept being wrong on that.

However, in regards to World of Color, I wasn't speaking in terms of sheer attendance growth. I was speaking in terms of the dynamic shift into a 2-day resort. World of Color caused guests to stay in each park until the end of each day. Instead of having DCA guests cross over into Disneyland and the end of each day or just going home/back to the hotel room.

Big Thunder Ranch is closing on January 11th..

So soon?!?

Last edited by a moderator:
You can't underestimate the success of Cars Land or the rest of DCA's reimagining. It's done absolute wonders for attendance and the overall resort. It's been huge.

I'm ridiculously excited that Big Thunder Ranch is closing this early! From what I've heard, Disney will start construction on Star Wars Land ASAP, and build the new parking structure simultaneously. The 2017 build start time was never an official statement, that's just the legal agreement Disney had with Anaheim to START construction BY that year for any construction to be exempt from the taxes. Doesn't mean they can't start earlier. Very exciting.

Reactions: Alexshow.
That makes sense. I never could understand the 2017 start date for Disneyland since there's no reason for them not to start now. WDW on the other hand does have some stuff to square away before they can start construction. It'll be kind of cool for Disneyland to have SWL first.

Oh yeah I know. But at least they're starting on it (hopefully). Even if it is just clearing stuff out. Fingers crossed this won't be another Avatar stunt where they announce it and then wait a few years to start anything on it.

Reactions: Wesker69
Say goodbye to Aladdin on January Tenth, it is closing for a all new show with...do I even need to say the words? I'll just say this,

Its been shoved too much in our throats now. If anything, lets melt the whole marketing with fire!

(Also, you expected Muppets to return, then you must be crazy! OCregister is reporting that not only that the Singalong is staying BUT the Meet and Greet for Anna & Elsa is too..)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Bonkers
I'm a bit too emotional and in shock to fully express my feelings on this at the moment, so I'll just leave this here until I calm down and gather my thoughts:

2m2e3gi.jpg

Reactions: raven24 and Bonkers
Sweet! Tom Staggs (COO) just announced that both Disneyland and World will be breaking ground for Star Wars Land in 2016. I heard that Disneyland will start as soon as January 10th. Also, Staggs said he and Iger want the lands to open "really, really soon." Granted he did say it won't happen over night, obviously. But hopefully this means that Disney has realized what Universal did a few years ago. The faster you build something and open it, the faster you can make money off of it.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-et-ct-disney-s-star-wars-plan-20150910-story.html

I think its amusing to know that DCA will have a "Frozen" musical before Broadway. I still need to make it over to DCA to see Aladdin live since I've only watched it via youtube and that was years ago. I honestly have no problem with "Frozen", unlike everyone else... My only problem is that it is being poorly handled/rushed rather than thought out to deliver something amazing. I look forward to seeing what they do with the new Frozen production & they don't drop the ball with it. I'm going to hope for the best with the new show because nobody knows what they have in store for it. Hopefully they'll renovate the theatre itself too.

Personally... if it was up to me, I'd kick out Aladdin for Beauty & the Beast because the original Broadway production was amazingly awesome. Hate the production that is still touring (it has differences, plus the unnecessary added song for Belle when Toni Braxton played the role on Broadway). That show being taken away from Broadway was blasphemous. I'd love it if it got resurrected for DCA's Hyperion.

Honestly, I expect the Frozen sing-a-long to be gone when the new show opens. Muppets returning will honestly depend on how the new tv series does. The original Muppets 3D is old & not very good. Yes it was the last thing created by Jim Henson, but I feel they could create something better. Also, I'd love to see a Muppets overlay during the holidays using "Muppets Christmas Carol" (or hell.. something original).

As for Star Wars Land... construction beginning as early as January 2016 would be wonderful. The sooner Star Wars Land opens, the better.

I think its amusing to know that DCA will have a "Frozen" musical before Broadway. I still need to make it over to DCA to see Aladdin live since I've only watched it via youtube and that was years ago. I honestly have no problem with "Frozen", unlike everyone else... My only problem is that it is being poorly handled/rushed rather than thought out to deliver something amazing. I look forward to seeing what they do with the new Frozen production & they don't drop the ball with it. I'm going to hope for the best with the new show because nobody knows what they have in store for it. Hopefully they'll renovate the theatre itself too.
To be fair, shortly after Frozen became a huge hit, the first major theme park rumor associated with it was a mockup concept art of a show in the Hyperion. Many people brushed it off because after the Toy Story musical fiasco, everybody assumed Aladdin was there to stay as it had become too much of a Disneyland tradition to ever leave. The rumor surfaced again briefly but was almost immediately doused by the introduction of the sing-along show at DHS, which quickly booted Muppets out and versions were announced for both Tokyo and Shanghai. (although this is what people thought they meant by a show) That's kind of why it came out of left field, because we just assumed that was the Frozen show and the end. Nothing more. 

Well now suddenly a lot is making more sense. The Frozen singalong was probably a placeholder while they planned the big one, which will debut in DCA first before opening in Shanghai and Tokyo after. Once DHS' additions start opening, I don't see why they wouldn't retool the, by then, very creaky singalong into the full-blown spectacular musical. So what is a bummer is that they're (seemingly) taking a purely unique DCA show and making it the prototype for a show that will very likely be copied many other places.

And, here comes the unpopular opinion and what some of y'all will probably jump down my throat for: that's literally the only negative I see for this. The Aladdin show has had a terrific run and is still admittedly popular but it's not the be-all, end-all and is certainly not the best thing about that venue. The Hyperion's greatest attribute is that it is a full-scale 2,000 seat Broadway theatre. Many Disney experiences try to capture the idea of something, but the Hyperion was a rarity on DCA's opening day in that it went full mile... after you walked in the door, granted, but still. The best part of the Aladdin experience will still remain. I'm sorry, Genie lovers, but that's my honest-to-god opinion.

The best part? Upgrades. The Hyperion finally, after 13 years, will see wonderful large-scale tech upgrades. Will the Frozen show finally get that indoor lobby made? ...Probably not. But let's be honest, Aladdin wasn't doing that either anyways.

I think what people really forget about the Toy Story musical fiasco was that Aladdin was legitimately a better production by a mile than Toy Story, and we weren't just saying that to say that. It debuted on a Disney cruise ship about a year prior, and the video evidence was glaring. Add in the fact that Aladdin was only seven years into its run (so not too creaky), but nobody wanted this TS piece of crap that your average joe thought was one of the worst stage adaptations that Disney entertainment has ever done. The songs, the book and the staging were all atroicious. The project remains on the Disney Wonder and I feel sorry for those cruise passengers that endure themselves to it. (it's on YouTube if you want to throw an hour of your life away)

The story's a bit different here. Aladdin is far older, long-in-the-tooth and now has a full-blown Broadway hit that will inevitably tour at the Pantages soon enough, and we only have those cheap Frozen sing-along shows to point to (clever Royal Theatre show notwithstanding)... I honestly think that a huge Frozen musical spectacular in the Hyperion has huge potential. We can then eliminate almost all of the rest of Frozen and get back the Muppets theatre to be... well whatever I guess since they pretty much Wonders of Life'd it. The Royal Theatre can go back to other fairy tales, and I think that will relieve a ton of the "spread" that Disney fans are annoyed with about the brand. I really hope that this gives enterainment less pressure to push it, and we can eliminate "Let it Go" from the full version of World of Color and stuff like that. Finally it has one, big spot instead of a million tiny spots. 

Of course the obvious thing is that Disney will now get to advertise both coasts for big Frozen attractions for summer 2016: an attraction and a "new" land in Epcot, and a musical spectacular show at DCA. 

So yeah, I'm totally okay with this. Feel free to send me hate.

Reactions: Freak and Wesker69
I vaguely remember the Toy Story thing... I think I even rolled my eyes and asked "UGH why!?" when it was announced for the Disney Cruise. What kills me is that they chose THAT crap to replace Aladdin with rather than one of the other great productions they have. Seriously, I am still scratching my head on why they haven't brought "The Golden Mickeys" show to DHS at WDW. It is an amazing 'awards-style' show & also pays tribute to Walt, I'm sure its on youtube somewhere. They should've tried replacing Aladdin with Golden Mickeys since it'd fit right in Hollywoodland...

I'd still love to see the former DCL show "Hercules: The MUSE-ical" resurrected for the parks. It was such a great show..

Or hell.... DCL's "Villains Tonight" for the Halloween season...

I love the Aladdin show, but the fact that it's leaving isn't what's bothering me. It's that it's being replaced with a freaking Frozen show... That's what angers me. I'm beyond angry.

Reactions: Alexshow.
I think the general consensus is that we're upset over what's replacing the show more so than the fact that it's being replaced. It was inevitable that they would retire the Aladdin musical eventually, but the Frozen ship came and left. At this point it's just overkill. It's wildly popular, but it's annoying just how much they're milking this thing. Had the musical been replaced with something like Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King, or even The Little Mermaid, I don't think there'd be this much of an uproar.

I think the Frozen anger is percieved with the idea of "more Frozen". I don't see it that way. I see this as Disney creating a Frozen lightning rod, so they can relieve other locations of their Arendelle duties.

Now, if the show opens up and the property continues to exist elsewhere and we STILL have the sing-along show playing, I will gladly join the other side. But for now, I think this is a step in the right direction.

Reactions: Wesker69
Honestly, the outcry over Frozen is ridiculous. It isn't overkill at all. They've milked other popular movies in the past, this is nothing new. Until they release something new that is just as successful & popular, embrace the Frozen fever. If you want to complain about anything, complain about them half-assing things (short-lived Frozen Fun attempt that replaced Mad T Party temporarily).. If Disney fully thought things out first, none of you would complain (as much), but keep in mind... Frozen was an unexpected hit after previous movie releases received "meh" popularity. They've been out of practice with how to handle these things.

Besides... in 3 months (less actually), the only thing Disney will be shoving down your throat is Star Wars... and they're releasing a new movie every year for the next 5+ years.. Sooooo.... Frozen will be the least of your concern.

Reactions: Ryan
I completely agree with a point Brover made earlier. I think it's smart for them to eliminate the random touches of Frozen around the park and cluster all of it with this musical. I'd rather they have one permanent, high-quality attraction than several temporary ones spread out across the park(s). My main gripe with this film is that it came out almost two years ago, and they're still forcing it down our throats. Obviously the movie's popularity is going to allude to future attractions at the theme parks, but I just find that they executed that incorrectly. I think we're just growing tired of them spitting out small, hurried, temporary attractions, and this new show just seems like another thing to add to that list (though it'll likely prove to be something much better). Once Hollywood Land is rid of the Frozen Fun leftovers, I'm sure the upcoming show will be appreciated a little more.

Honestly, the outcry over Frozen is ridiculous. It isn't overkill at all. They've milked other popular movies in the past, this is nothing new. Until they release something new that is just as successful & popular, embrace the Frozen fever. If you want to complain about anything, complain about them half-assing things (short-lived Frozen Fun attempt that replaced Mad T Party temporarily).. If Disney fully thought things out first, none of you would complain (as much), but keep in mind... Frozen was an unexpected hit after previous movie releases received "meh" popularity. They've been out of practice with how to handle these things.

Besides... in 3 months (less actually), the only thing Disney will be shoving down your throat is Star Wars... and they're releasing a new movie every year for the next 5+ years.. Sooooo.... Frozen will be the least of your concern.
Abso-freaking-lutely. The hypocrisy is damning when Season of the Force is announced with a Star Wars-overlay of Space Mountain along with the upcoming SWL, and everybody is thrilled across the board. Because Star Wars isn't "new", and with it being a nearly 40-year-old property, everyone agrees with "oh it's a major thing so many people love and is not a fad and is worthy of these things." (and trust me, I'm super stoked for all the Star Wars stuff)

But because Frozen is less than two years (and is slightly polarizing in the theme park community), dear god how dare Disney replace a 13-year-old stage show based on a 23-year-old animated movie with something based on their biggest hit in years in an obvious attempt at making a permanent Frozen attraction rather than keep trying the dopey temporary events that literally once had Olaf on popsicle sticks. It's a hit, it's not a fad, and it's something that general audiences love and flock to. It's easily as deserving of attention as much as Star Wars is and that's because it's popular. Star Wars is popular, Frozen is popular. Welcome to the new normal, everybody.