Disneyland Resort | Page 70 | Inside Universal Forums

Disneyland Resort

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
What I don’t get is why they treating Star Wars with such intense theme rules and Marvel, which has easily eclipsed Star Wars in popularity, they treat like crap.

With all the various discussions regarding Batuu, I'm kinda' surprised the handling of Marvel in the parks hasn't really been touched upon. Without a doubt it's the most bankable IP they have at the moment, and the west coast has far more freedom on what they can do than the east. This is something they should go above and beyond and knock our socks off. Yet so far Misson Breakout is the only thing that's really good.

This is dancing on a very thin line of "How do, fellow kids?" territory.

Reactions: Clive
Iger is still convinced that Star Wars is their biggest property...I wonder what it will take for him to understand that his line of thinking is flawed

The only thing that's coming to mind for me is it's a question of merch sales. Star Wars has always been a merch machine, and another good comparison is Cars Land which has been a merch monster. (An probably one of the main reasons why it was made into a land.)

We all know the MCU has been a juggernaut at the box office, but are the merch sales as good? Either way the sales go, it's still baffling how the IP has been treated so far.

Reactions: shiekra38
The only thing that's coming to mind for me is it's a question of merch sales. Star Wars has always been a merch machine, and another good comparison is Cars Land which has been a merch monster. (An probably one of the main reasons why it was made into a land.)

We all know the MCU has been a juggernaut at the box office, but are the merch sales as good? Either way the sales go, it's still baffling how the IP has been treated so far.
Their handling of the characters is certainly not good, but I will forgive them if they can simply deliver an E++ Avengers ride whenever that ride actually happens.

I think Disney learned that bigger isn't better and purposely kept this land smaller. It could have easily encompassed the animation building and parts of Hollywoodland. When that Avengers e-tickets comes around I think Marvel Land will be a better more profitable land per square foot than Galaxy's Edge.

They probably didn't think merch sales would be effected by whether or not the movies did well. When you rush to kill of beloved characters and replace them with more bland versions, it back fires on you.

Should've just gone with the Old Republic

I think Disney learned that bigger isn't better and purposely kept this land smaller. It could have easily encompassed the animation building and parts of Hollywoodland. When that Avengers e-tickets comes around I think Marvel Land will be a better more profitable land per square foot than Galaxy's Edge.
I know this has been discussed a lot on here, but Star Wars makes sense on paper for a Potter sized land. However, in a weird way, it's strangely difficult to create a giant land based around Star Wars.

Perhaps they should have made Galaxys Edge half the size and then built a Marvel land of the same scale so they could capitalise on both Brands.

Unfortunately what they are doing with DCA marvel land looks really half-assed and cheap.

In actual land size, GESWL and Hogsmeade are almost identical in area, apx. 14 1/2 acres each. The difference is that Hogsmeade's 4 attractions (FJ/Hagrid/HE/Hippo) occupy a large area, thus there's less wide open public walking spaces than GESWL, leaving Hogsmeade feeling more compact, though it really isn't.

They probably didn't think merch sales would be effected by whether or not the movies did well. When you rush to kill of beloved characters and replace them with more bland versions, it back fires on you.

Should've just gone with the Old Republic

I know this has been discussed a lot on here, but Star Wars makes sense on paper for a Potter sized land. However, in a weird way, it's strangely difficult to create a giant land based around Star Wars.
They didn’t rush to kill off beloved characters. Harrison Ford wouldn’t do the film UNLESS he was killed off. Hell, Ford wanted to be killed off back in ‘83.

I also still have some doubts that Luke is actually dead.

They didn’t rush to kill off beloved characters. Harrison Ford wouldn’t do the film UNLESS he was killed off. Hell, Ford wanted to be killed off back in ‘83.

I also still have some doubts that Luke is actually dead.
He may not be, for their sake I hope he isn't. To me the new trilogy was a waste of resources from the beginning...I get the reboot mentality, but Star Wars is backed into a creative corner...In my opinion they should have gone with the Old Republic

Buuuut this has nothing to do with the land

Reactions: Mad Dog
He may not be, for their sake I hope he isn't. To me the new trilogy was a waste of resources from the beginning...I get the reboot mentality, but Star Wars is backed into a creative corner...In my opinion they should have gone with the Old Republic

Buuuut this has nothing to do with the land
The new characters, unfortunately, had very 'little character & personality'. Writing, casting & directing just didn't produce.

The new characters, unfortunately, had very 'little character & personality'. Writing, casting & directing just didn't produce.
An opposite opinion is a lots of people love the Sequel trilogy and most people under a certain age don’t care about the OT.

So far the Sequel Trilogy has been incredibly dull and lifeless. The only new characters that I like are the Porgs and BB8. Say what you will about the Prequel Trilogy, but they gave us awesome stuff like Darth Maul.

Also, there is a ton of stuff that lends itself to great theme park attractions in Episodes I-VI like the Death Star Trench Run, Cloud City, Endor Speeder Bikes, Jabba's Palace, Pod Racing etc. Almost nothing in the Sequel Trilogy really lends itself to making a great ride.

Reactions: Mad Dog
Of course there’s more. Bc why not.

Cute, reminds me when they had Jedi Mickey and stuff.

And this is one of the MANY reasons why JKR went with Universal and not Disney. Imagine Mickey with a lightning bolt scar on his head in a robe with a wand, and Minnie with a time turner around her neck...

In fairness this would be like Mickey wearing a Hogwarts T-shirt, not being Harry. But your point does stand with how they had Darth Goofy.