Disneyland Resort | Page 80 | Inside Universal Forums

Disneyland Resort

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Newsom is facing a legitimate recall effort.
I really think that’s the only reason he’s budging at all on letting theme parks reopen. I’ll leave it at that.

I keep hearing conflicting reports about indoor rides either being open with restrictions or closed completely. I’m hearing it’s more of the latter. If that’s the case that completely screws over Disney and Universal.

This is hilarious and ridiculous that we have reached a full year of theme parks being completely shut down and when they’re finally able to open, they’re greatly restricted. Oh, this state.

Reactions: P@n!K_Sw1tC#
I really think that’s the only reason he’s budging at all on letting theme parks reopen. I’ll leave it at that.

I keep hearing conflicting reports about indoor rides either being open with restrictions or closed completely. I’m hearing it’s more of the latter. If that’s the case that completely screws over Disney and Universal.

This is hilarious and ridiculous that we have reached a full year of theme parks being completely shut down and when they’re finally able to open, they’re greatly restricted. Oh, this state.
I find it hard to believe indoor rides will be closed since movie theaters can reopen at 25% capacity or 100 people, whichever is fewer.

At 15% capacity, I don’t expect most rides to have a huge wait. of course some will still.

The ones which have limited outdoor space to stage a queue (I assume they’ll be given max 15 minutes to stand inside the indoor queue) could implement a virtual queue if it goes above 15 inside.

Reactions: JawsVictim
Let's tread lightly on the Newsom stuff, though you guys are so far doing okay there. I think it's fair to acknowledge some of the political forces that may or may not be influencing the park reopening strategy.

In this case, I think it's impossible to not wonder if the recall effort - which has become real enough to warrant write-ups by major news publications - is accelerating reopening. Hollywood Reporter, one of the largest trades in Los Angeles, *just* did an article exploring the issue. At the same time, I think the expanding rollout of the vaccines and undeniably dropping numbers are also building to a general "all clear," forcing a change in strategy.

Either way, it's good news that folks will get back to work. I wish we were further along in the vaccination effort (and that Disneyland employees would be eligible for vaccinations), but it is what it is.

Just for clarifies shake. is the Science saying we can't open theme parks?

I know we will have people from out of town because it can't be helped (unless Disney makes you prove you live in CA) so within 4 weeks wont enough people have the vaccine it should be fine to let 15% in?

I mean Disney might not even do that, they could just do more ticketed events and let in more people for less costs of being open as well. I would not be suprised if Disney again held back another month or two so they could let more people into the theme park but its so up in the air its all speculation.

Just for clarifies shake. is the Science saying we can't open theme parks?

I know we will have people from out of town because it can't be helped (unless Disney makes you prove you live in CA) so within 4 weeks wont enough people have the vaccine it should be fine to let 15% in?

I mean Disney might not even do that, they could just do more ticketed events and let in more people for less costs of being open as well. I would not be suprised if Disney again held back another month or two so they could let more people into the theme park but its so up in the air its all speculation.

I dislike saying “the science” nowadays because it’s such a loaded phrase.

Simply, more people are being vaccinated and COVID cases are at their lowest in SoCal since the outbreak. Along with this, there’s political and economic pressure for California to reopen certain sectors. If vaccination efforts weren’t rapidly expanding and COVID cases were still berserk, I doubt we’d be discussing these new guidelines.

Reactions: Freak
I dislike saying “the science” nowadays because it’s such a loaded phrase.

Simply, more people are being vaccinated and COVID cases are at their lowest in SoCal since the outbreak. Along with this, there’s political and economic pressure for California to reopen certain sectors. If vaccination efforts weren’t rapidly expanding and COVID cases were still berserk, I doubt we’d be discussing these new guidelines.
I'm just asking those against opening parks if they are basing on what current science or not.

I for one support the teachers having a month to get the vaccine and then yep back into the classrooms thats the end of that but Science says they should be able to do it now but I can meet in the middle and let those truly worried about health have the time to get a vaccine.

Can we just... not talk about politics please?! There is so much more to discuss about this.
Thanks....

On topic, with indoor capacity possibly being limited, has anybody proposed that DCA might open before Disneyland Park? In general the paths are wider and easily could accommodate a socially distanced crowd, as well as having a lot of outdoor queue space, a heck of a lot more outdoor rides. When Eisner built Six Flags Anaheim with cheap outdoor rides, who knew it might help them in weird situation where indoor rides are restricted.

Can we just... not talk about politics please?! There is so much more to discuss about this.
Thanks....

On topic, with indoor capacity possibly being limited, has anybody proposed that DCA might open before Disneyland Park? In general the paths are wider and easily could accommodate a socially distanced crowd, as well as having a lot of outdoor queue space, a heck of a lot more outdoor rides. When Eisner built Six Flags Anaheim with cheap outdoor rides, who knew it might help them in weird situation where indoor rides are restricted.

I think DL is just as likely to reopen as DCA. While DCAs paths might be wider, there are still less attractions to spread out the 15% capacity. Also, DCA’s best rides are indoor attractions.

I think DL is just as likely to reopen as DCA. While DCAs paths might be wider, there are still less attractions to spread out the 15% capacity. Also, DCA’s best rides are indoor attractions.
And DL's best rides aren't indoor rides? Obviously DL has more to choose from, but for the most part, the cream of the crop is all indoor attractions.

Reactions: SkiBum and Freak
Do we know capacity limits for the food events?

My theory is still they will run with those longer because the costs to run a theme park but only have 15% coming in vs a food event have to be huge and if you can get 70% of the normal money from just letting people walk around and eat then why not do that until you can let more people in?

Unlike WDW which let indoor rides work day one and also has wide walk ways DLR just really isn't built for something like 15% coming in and no indoor rides open. (or very limited on how many can ride in an hour)

And DL's best rides aren't indoor rides? Obviously DL has more to choose from, but for the most part, the cream of the crop is all indoor attractions.

Of course all the best rides at DLR are indoor attractions. All around, if they can’t open indoor rides, there’s no point in reopening the parks.

Reactions: Freak
Has that been officially announced under the reopening guidelines? All I’ve seen is “with limitations on indoor attractions” which sounds ambivalent.

Has that been officially announced under the reopening guidelines? All I’ve seen is “with limitations on indoor attractions” which sounds ambivalent.
From the OC Register article:

"Under the revised theme park guidelines, indoor rides and attractions must maintain a 15% capacity in the red tier and 25% capacity in the orange and yellow tiers while outdoor rides and attractions can accommodate more riders provided social distancing mandates are followed,"

KTLA only mentions "limits on indoor rides,"

EDIT: Hold on...ABC 7 News says differently:

"Theme parks may open at 15% capacity when their respective counties enter the state's red tier designation, Dr. Mark Ghaly, secretary of California Health and Human Services, said during a conference call update on the coronavirus pandemic.

The limited reopening would not include indoor rides, Ghaly said, and theme parks initially would only be open to California residents.

Under the new guidelines, there will be both a building capacity limitation and a time limitation. A ride that takes place indoors or goes into a building for a brief period of time may open if it meets both of these requirements,"

EDIT 2: If someone can direct me to the actual press release from the state that would be great. The first article seems to be correct, as does the ABC article's assertion that indoor rides will be limited based on building and time capacity. Yet the contradiction between the second and third paragraph in the ABC article implicitly suggests, at least to me, that indoor rides only kick in once a certain threshold of safety is met?

EDIT 3: Also, jeez, this is the most productive I've felt the whole year.

Last edited:
Of course all the best rides at DLR are indoor attractions. All around, if they can’t open indoor rides, there’s no point in reopening the parks.

Agreed. The reason I mentioned DCA as being a better option, is because something like Paradise Pier and to an extent Cars Land, even though most of the rides aren’t worth writing home about, can almost completely be open. The pizza and pasta restaurant has large outdoor dining, the area of paradise pier, and cars land as well, is very open and can spread people out. I guess it’s just easier for me to imagine this new scenario in an place like that, rather than Disneyland’s Adventureland, if that makes sense haha

While Disneyland has more attractions that can serve a 15% capacity, DCA has more attractions that would be able to open without much limitation if the indoor attraction thing is strict.

Also if there’s a “time limit” on how long is spent inside an attraction, wouldn’t that mean the 15 minutes or so we spend in the haunted mansion, or pirates show building be restricted or not allowed? Or am I reading this wrong haha

Reactions: PerceptiveCoot
From the OC Register article:

"Under the revised theme park guidelines, indoor rides and attractions must maintain a 15% capacity in the red tier and 25% capacity in the orange and yellow tiers while outdoor rides and attractions can accommodate more riders provided social distancing mandates are followed,"

KTLA only mentions "limits on indoor rides,"

EDIT: Hold on...ABC 7 News says differently:

"Theme parks may open at 15% capacity when their respective counties enter the state's red tier designation, Dr. Mark Ghaly, secretary of California Health and Human Services, said during a conference call update on the coronavirus pandemic.

The limited reopening would not include indoor rides, Ghaly said, and theme parks initially would only be open to California residents.

Under the new guidelines, there will be both a building capacity limitation and a time limitation. A ride that takes place indoors or goes into a building for a brief period of time may open if it meets both of these requirements,"

EDIT 2: If someone can direct me to the actual press release from the state that would be great. The first article seems to be correct, as does the ABC article's assertion that indoor rides will be limited based on building and time capacity. Yet the contradiction between the second and third paragraph in the ABC article implicitly suggests, at least to me, that indoor rides only kick in once a certain threshold of safety is met?

EDIT 3: Also, jeez, this is the most productive I've felt the whole year.

Yeah, this is why there’s so much confusion, and there doesn’t seem to be a clear directive.

All I know is, if DLR opens with a 15% capacity cap and all the rides are open, I’m definitely gonna try to get a day in at each park.

All I know is, if DLR opens with a 15% capacity cap and all the rides are open, I’m definitely gonna try to get a day in at each park.
I think I'll wait for Disneyland. DCA at 15% sounds rather nice though, assuming all the outdoor rides and food places are still open. I'd probably just check out Avengers Campus construction, get a bread bowl, then hang out around Paradise Pier and Grizzly Peak the whole day.

EDIT: I might reconsider depending on what opening reports are like. I just think there's better opportunities for a more pleasant experience at DCA with Touch of Disney potentially lowering demand and with more outdoor rides.

Reactions: Michael S
I doubt Haunted Mansion will be able to re-open. Unless I'm mistaken there's no way to bypass the stretching rooms since they're elevators, unless they only take a handful of guests at a time. That just doesn't seem feasible.

I doubt Haunted Mansion will be able to re-open. Unless I'm mistaken there's no way to bypass the stretching rooms since they're elevators, unless they only take a handful of guests at a time. That just doesn't seem feasible.

Do they bypass it at WDW? I haven’t been up to date on how their ops are during the pandemic. That would be a total bummer, since the stretching room really sets the stage for the attraction. I wonder how it would be without it... the only way to bypass the elevators is a corridor that’s used for employees and for evacuations. It’s the door by the mausoleums in the extended queue, but that couldn’t really accommodate many guests. I’ve only been through once, and can’t remember if there were stairs, which would make ADA compliance impossible.