Disney's Wish | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Disney's Wish

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Trailers are really important to let people know what the film is about...A classic example: Back in the day there weren't a plethora of Christmas movies released new in the theaters or on TV (Hallmark, Lifetime etc.) like now. Always a fan of Christmas movies, my GF and I, at the time, saw that a new Christmas movie was being released. It had a trailer that made it look like the movie was about an ill tempered, mean Santa Claus. Not many choices, and it didn't seem like something that I'd like, but with a dearth of new Christmas movies, we went anyway, not expecting much. We went to see it, only a handful of people in the theater, but it turned out to be one of the best Christmas movies I've ever see, Hilarious and so true to life. Exact scenes that I experienced as a child and the reactions of the adults in the movies were perfect too. It was Nostalgia ++++. So good I told my mom and sisters about the movie, and they all went too....and absolutely loved it.On family Christmas day, we all talked about the various true to life stories in the movie. Liz and I went a total of three times and never stopped laughing. But the theaters were just about empty every time we went. Guess no one wanted to see a movie about a mean Santa kicking a kid down a chute. The movie didn't last long. I never heard about it again until it had a few television showings in the early 90's, or thereabout. Overnight it became a cult classic and one of the most successful, and loved, Christmas movies of all time. Yes, the movie, who's trailer advertising it on TV and theater coming attractions, the trailer that only had the scene of a closeup mean spirited Santa kicking a boy down a chute was..."A Christmas Story". And that's how a bad trailer, that really had little to do with what the filn was about, can destroy a movie's chances at the box office. Christmas Story was an excellent movie, that never had a chance, because some marketing/advertising group had a very 'stupid' plan........Unfortunately, this type of thing happens too often.

Last edited:
Trailers are really important to let people know what the film is about...A classic example: Back in the day there weren't a plethora of Christmas movies released new in the theaters or on TV (Hallmark, Lifetime etc.) like now. Always a fan of Christmas movies, my GF and I, at the time, saw that a new Christmas movie was being released. It had a trailer that made it look like the movie was about an ill tempered, mean Santa Claus. Not many choices, and it didn't seem like something that I'd like, but with a dearth of new Christmas movies, we went anyway, not expecting much. We went to see it, only a handful of people in the theater, but it turned out to be one of the best Christmas movies I've ever see, Hilarious and so true to life. Exact scenes that I experienced as a child and the reactions of the adults in the movies were perfect too. It was Nostalgia ++++. So good I told my mom and sisters about the movie, and they all went too....and absolutely loved it.On family Christmas day, we all talked about the various true to life stories in the movie. Liz and I went a total of three times and never stopped laughing. But the theaters were just about empty every time we went. Guess no one wanted to see a movie about a mean Santa kicking a kid down a chute. The movie didn't last long. I never heard about it again until it had a few television showings in the early 90's, or thereabout. Overnight it became a cult classic and one of the most successful, and loved, Christmas movies of all time. Yes, the movie, who's trailer advertising it on TV and theater coming attractions, the trailer that only had the scene of a closeup mean spirited Santa kicking a boy down a chute was..."A Christmas Story". And that's how a bad trailer, that really had little to do with what the filn was about, can destroy a movie's chances at the box office. Christmas Story was an excellent movie, that never had a chance, because some marketing/advertising group had a very 'stupid' plan........Unfortunately, this type of thing happens too often.
The trailers for this film and for The Marvels SUCKED.

Reactions: Ahmanet
Had no idea this was supposed to be a movie to celebrate their 100th anniversary until I read box office analysis articles ...

It still has not passed Paw Patrol at the US box office, incredible

Had no idea this was supposed to be a movie to celebrate their 100th anniversary until I read box office analysis articles ...

It still has not passed Paw Patrol at the US box office, incredible
Disney has a real issue with getting people to see their animated films in theaters. There’s also a quality issue, but a lot more people used to go even to bad films.

It’s no mystery that in the Press Release for Soul, Luca, and Turning Red coming to theaters in 2024 promotes it as “how they were meant to be seen”. They’re trying to change the perception. But in order to fully do that, they need to honestly change their D+ policy so the timeline between theatrical and D+ is closer to a year than the short period it currently is.

Disney has a real issue with getting people to see their animated films in theaters. There’s also a quality issue, but a lot more people used to go even to bad films.

It’s no mystery that in the Press Release for Soul, Luca, and Turning Red coming to theaters in 2024 promotes it as “how they were meant to be seen”. They’re trying to change the perception. But in order to fully do that, they need to honestly change their D+ policy so the timeline between theatrical and D+ is closer to a year than the short period it currently is.
Yes.They went from super protective of their animated classics by retiring them for years and/or decades, to shortening their theatrical window to rush them to Disney+. Fools.

Agreed, and it really feels like this is a Disney problem. Since at the moment there's Trolls Band Together, and while it isn't necessarily making waves, it's still making more money than Wish currently is.

But yeah, they need a far longer window between theatrical and D+, since folks know they just wait a short time to see it on D+ for less. And that's just not a viable way to support those films.

The trailers for this film and for The Marvels SUCKED.

That's what I'm talking about. An ineffective trailer can do a lot of hurt when it comes to box office.

well now days word of mouth will save a movie. look at the new Godzilla.
bad trailers can definitely hurt a movie, but in your case of a Christmas story, there was no social media back then. ( kinda like how the trailers killed Mystery Men, or monkeybone)
but today, the flash, the marvels and this movie have had horrendous word of mouth.

yeah in the 80s and 90s we still had bad reviews and newspaper articles that would hurt a movie as well. but now, Twitter can destroy a movie.
I didn't think that the trailer for the marvels was that bad. wish looked generic.

bad trailers can definitely hurt a movie, but in your case of a Christmas story, there was no social media back then. ( kinda like how the trailers killed Mystery Men, or monkeybone)
but today, the flash, the marvels and this movie have had horrendous word of mouth.

yeah in the 80s and 90s we still had bad reviews and newspaper articles that would hurt a movie as well. but now, Twitter can destroy a movie.
I didn't think that the trailer for the marvels was that bad. wish looked generic.
No social media in the 80's, but the primary source of advertising movies was trailers on tv and in the movie theaters. If a trailer didn't attract attendance, there was little chance of success. Word of mouth was slow with no social media existing. If a movie wasn't a blockbuster budget, it would disappear from theaters overnight.

Movie hopped my way into a showing of this last week. The trailers and ads were right, it IS painfully generic. It almost borders on parody.

Trailers are massively important in selling a movie. The single biggest thing imo.

Reactions: Ahmanet and Mad Dog
I want to see what it does when it hits Disney Plus

Theaters cost an arm and leg and kid movies are doing fine.....but Trolls and Migration even by tracking aren't killed it either so part of it is its 40-80 bucks for a Family to see Wish, vs waiting for streaming

Not excusing it, but I think Wish story will be told in a year from now.....will it be like Strange Worlds and Lightyear where this is ZERO fan fair after or will it be like Red or Encanto where its a slow grow and becomes big.

Reactions: Ahmanet and GA-MBIT
And it's something Disney has not been great at for many, many years (IMO).
Yup. Aside from a few trailers here and there (GOTG 3 trailer comes to mind), most have been largely forgettable.

Usually it’s not that hard to make even a mediocre film look cool as long as you show the cool parts. I think the issue is Disney clearly has not known how to market many of their films for quite awhile (The Marvels and Wish are great examples). They are essentially having an issue in terms of making films that are so bland that the trailers aren’t even able to be compelling.

I didn't love BP2 but the Trailer was insanely good to me

I also enjoyed Antman 3 Trailer.....but wont argue if you dont like it, lol

I also think Inside out 2 Trailer is basic but gets the job done.

I won't defend every trailer but I think they are hit or miss for Disney....and 9/10 for me the Pixar trailers are pretty boring....I thought Up looked so stupid....the film is one of the best ever but it's hard with some movies without giving too much away to tell you why you must see it
(I know Puss in boots is Universal...but conversation is about Trailers)
Also Glad I didn't see the Puss in Boots Trailers.....those looks generic compared to how amazing of a film that is

Reactions: Ahmanet and GA-MBIT
I didn't love BP2 but the Trailer was insanely good to me

I also enjoyed Antman 3 Trailer.....but wont argue if you dont like it, lol

I also think Inside out 2 Trailer is basic but gets the job done.

I won't defend every trailer but I think they are hit or miss for Disney....and 9/10 for me the Pixar trailers are pretty boring....I thought Up looked so stupid....the film is one of the best ever but it's hard with some movies without giving too much away to tell you why you must see it
(I know Puss in boots is Universal...but conversation is about Trailers)
Also Glad I didn't see the Puss in Boots Trailers.....those looks generic compared to how amazing of a film that is

Oh yeah, the Black Panther 2 one was great, the Ant-Man 3 one was pretty good too. The trend in Marvel trailers is using music, emotion, and some epic fight scenes to create a really good trailer that makes people want to see the movie. They did that with The Marvels as well, but it didn't hit in the same way I feel.

This actually is a perfectly fine trailer, but that's it. The main issue that this film had was nobody knew who Kamala Khan or Monica Rambeau were at all. It's hard to sell a film that's supposed to be a blockbuster when people don't care about your leads and for people who watch the D+ shows, they had the sour taste of Secret Invasion on the mind when thinking about Nick Fury.

Oh yeah, the Black Panther 2 one was great, the Ant-Man 3 one was pretty good too. The trend in Marvel trailers is using music, emotion, and some epic fight scenes to create a really good trailer that makes people want to see the movie. They did that with The Marvels as well, but it didn't hit in the same way I feel.

This actually is a perfectly fine trailer, but that's it. The main issue that this film had was nobody knew who Kamala Khan or Monica Rambeau were at all. It's hard to sell a film that's supposed to be a blockbuster when people don't care about your leads and for people who watch the D+ shows, they had the sour taste of Secret Invasion on the mind when thinking about Nick Fury.

Disney issue is now Disney Plus

For someone reason people see like Minions and know that will be on peacock....and don't care they will see it but with Disney EVERYONE seems to know it will be on Disney Plus soon with the exception of Indy 5, most films are on it within 2-4 months

I will also saw Disney was making bank with around the same amount of films they do now but since the pandemic they just have lost people going to see their films in theaters and unless they stop putting movies on Disney Plus in just a few months they I think will keep seeing it along with uping the writing on these films

I and one of the few people who enjoyed Wish....however I won't defend it as some masterpiece it was a fun film and think it gets wayyyyy too much hate...I think the Marvels, Lightyear and Strange World's are all much more forgettable films and at least some of the music here is good. The main song I still think will show up in the parks because it works well with fireworks.

Disney issue is now Disney Plus

For someone reason people see like Minions and know that will be on peacock....and don't care they will see it but with Disney EVERYONE seems to know it will be on Disney Plus soon with the exception of Indy 5, most films are on it within 2-4 months

I will also saw Disney was making bank with around the same amount of films they do now but since the pandemic they just have lost people going to see their films in theaters and unless they stop putting movies on Disney Plus in just a few months they I think will keep seeing it along with uping the writing on these films

I and one of the few people who enjoyed Wish....however I won't defend it as some masterpiece it was a fun film and think it gets wayyyyy too much hate...I think the Marvels, Lightyear and Strange World's are all much more forgettable films and at least some of the music here is good. The main song I still think will show up in the parks because it works well with fireworks.
Your premise is flawed because when people see a Minions movie, NO ONE is thinking about Peacock because so few people actually are active users and even less pay to use the service.

Marvel, Pixar, Disney Animation, LucasFilm are all synonymous with Disney+ now and because of their strategy during the pandemic and what they’ve continued to do, people are fine skipping out going because they know where they’ll be able to watch it whereas with Minions and Spiderverse for example, it’s very clear audiences don’t realize as much that Universal films will all be on Peacock or Sony will be on Netflix.

Last edited:
Your premise is flawed because when people see a Minions movie, NO ONE is thinking about Peacock because so few people actually are active users and even less pay to use the service.

Marvel, Pixar, Disney Animation, LucasFilm are all synonymous with Disney now and because of their strategy during the pandemic and what they’ve continued to do, people are find skipping out going because they know where they’ll be able to watch it whereas with Minions and Spiderverse for example, it’s very clear audiences don’t realize as much that Universal films will all be on Peacock or Sony will be on Netflix.
I guess people are just stupid or forget, even if they don't know it will be on Pecock I'm sure most have watched a Minions movie on some streaming service like Netflix (which wayyyyyy more people have then Disney plus)

It's funny that Disney plus has such good branding it's hurting their films in theaters but people understand that brand, while others they don't know where it will end up (thought likely Netflix or HBO) and just pay the money then because the branding for those app isn't as tied into Universal, lol

I guess people are just stupid or forget, even if they don't know it will be on Pecock I'm sure most have watched a Minions movie on some streaming service like Netflix (which wayyyyyy more people have then Disney plus)

It's funny that Disney plus has such good branding it's hurting their films in theaters but people understand that brand, while others they don't know where it will end up (thought likely Netflix or HBO) and just pay the money then because the branding for those app isn't as tied into Universal, lol
Universal muddies the waters with streaming because on top of Peacock, a ton of their films, including Minions films, are on Netflix as well. Disney keeping their catalog exclusive makes it easier to tell that films from certain franchises will always be there.