Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Doctor Strange: Multiverse of Madness

Few things to address here as someone who works a lot in the film business --

Scott staying on as an EP means absolutely nothing. It is the bare minimum extended to someone who worked on a project, even if they were fired or quit. Often, it's contractual. It's likely that from this point on, he will have zero involvement in the film other than possible attendance at the premiere and informal advice to the new director, should he be directly asked and choose to give it.

Scott previously tweeted in December, quite cryptically, that "release dates are the enemy of art." This was the bellwether that something was afoot. Maybe the script isn't ready. Maybe Disney won't give him the production time needed to realize what he's proposing. It isn't clear, but there were clear signs Scott was unhappy with the present release date.

Yes, Disney has had a number of recent, ugly, and public director breakups between Edgar Wright's Antman, the Josh Trank Star Wars, spin-off, Star Wars Episode IX, and the Solo debacle. Phil Lord even congratulated Scott for joining a "club" on Twitter after the news became public. This most recent development points to it not being a Lucasfilm-specific issue, as has been previously discussed... it may just be at the hands of broader Disney leadership.

Right. That’s why I said Disney and not MCU.

They seem do it more than the other studios, right? Or am I just imagining it.
It seems to happen to Disney once or twice per year. It's certainly significant enough to make note of, but other giant studios deal with these types of changes at about roughly once or twice per year as well in many cases. The major differences though are a Studio like Universal puts out way more movies than Disney. Disney only has a schedule of around 12 (not including Fox) so for 1-2 of those to have directorial issues is definitely significant.

Few things to address here as someone who works a lot in the film business --

Scott staying on as an EP means absolutely nothing. It is the bare minimum extended to someone who worked on a project, even if they were fired or quit. Often, it's contractual. It's likely that from this point on, he will have zero involvement in the film other than possible attendance at the premiere and informal advice to the new director, should he be directly asked and choose to give it.

Scott previously tweeted in December, quite cryptically, that "release dates are the enemy of art." This was the bellwether that something was afoot. Maybe the script isn't ready. Maybe Disney won't give him the production time needed to realize what he's proposing. It isn't clear, but there were clear signs Scott was unhappy with the present release date.

Yes, Disney has had a number of recent, ugly, and public director breakups between Edgar Wright's Antman, the Josh Trank Star Wars, spin-off, Star Wars Episode IX, and the Solo debacle. Phil Lord even congratulated Scott for joining a "club" on Twitter after the news became public. This most recent development points to it not being a Lucasfilm-specific issue, as has been previously discussed... it may just be at the hands of broader Disney leadership.
It all points to it being an Alan Horn issue rather than any specific studio. He's the man in charge of it all.

I'm worried Raimi will be crushed in the overbearing studio machine. Spider-Man 3 was the bellwether, but Oz was the fall of a master. He needs room to breathe, and Marvel isn't going to give that to him.

No offense to Derrickson, but this would be a HUGE upgrade and would put Strange in excellent hands. He's at a level where he definitely doesn't need to do these movies anymore, which means, hopefully, there's something in this film that really excites him and is why he wants to be a part of it.

I love Elfman (though I don't think he's written a truly great score in about 10ish years), but Giacchino's score for the first DOCTOR STRANGE is excellent.

In the field of speculation (and some Wandavision spoilers)

Something that has come into my mind; is on the subject of the Scarlet Witch. With her possessing that of the Darkhold; that could easily be the reason as to why the events of Multiverse of Madness and No Way Home will have ripples across the entire Marvel Multiverse. I wonder if in that case, that we might see Wanda and the Scarlet Witch playing as the main antagonistic forces of Multiverse of Madness; as opposed to Nightmare or Mephisto? It'd be a twist from what we expect, and could mean the antagonist castings are meant to be for The Scarlet Witch's underlings. It could also allow for another Thanos-level antagonist. This time: built up from that of the span of 7 years of films and television.

This movie is gonna be soooo bad ass after seeing how WandaVision ended. Looks like it's heading in a very similar direction I imaged it when they announced that these were all connected and that's not a bad thing at all.

Boooooooooo

So if you look at the dates now - this is wild. We have Cap 4, Blade, Fantastic Four and Deadpool 3 announced. Yet there’s only one more date reserved for a Marvel film after they dropped the October spot and delayed everything. So 3 of these 4 films are going to come out in 2024?? Pretty crazy.

Boooooooooo

Reading between the lines, here... is MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS not coming together the way Feige and co. would like, and they feel they need to work on it more?

That's really the only explanation for bumping it (and thereby bumping the whole slate). I certainly don't buy this "They're scared of THE BATMAN!" line of thought that I've seen already this morning. MULTIVERSE would have been just fine opening three full weeks later even if THE BATMAN was a juggernaut.

I hope the film is fine, but if it is the film, can it really be saved by 3 more months?

Batman sure will do well but weird to move this film when you have weeks to make money before batman might drop it but doubt people wont see the MCU film because batman is so close

Reading between the lines, here... is MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS not coming together the way Feige and co. would like, and they feel they need to work on it more?

That's really the only explanation for bumping it (and thereby bumping the whole slate). I certainly don't buy this "They're scared of THE BATMAN!" line of thought that I've seen already this morning. MULTIVERSE would have been just fine opening three full weeks later even if THE BATMAN was a juggernaut.

I'd buy a bit of "Indiana Jones 5 being delayed a FULL year", mixed with the box office reception of The Last Duel, a movie that has for all intents domestically; have bombed, to be what caused this shift across the bulk of Disney.

Gives Batman a lot more room to breathe, but man do I feel bad for Bob's Burgers.

So if you look at the dates now - this is wild. We have Cap 4, Blade, Fantastic Four and Deadpool 3 announced. Yet there’s only one more date reserved for a Marvel film after they dropped the October spot and delayed everything. So 3 of these 4 films are going to come out in 2024?? Pretty crazy.

With Blade 4 having the director, writer, and the main actor involved properly now; I suspect Blade will close out 2023, with Deadpool 3, Fantastic Four, and Captain America to head 2024.

___

Coming back to Multiverse of Madness, I don't think there's any need of concern. Especially with other Marvel Studios films getting shuffled.

I see this as them moving from Batman, like flat out. I don’t think the Box Office is recovered enough to handle true competition yet, at least for the profits Marvel is looking. I think it’s less fear of Batman and more so just trying to get the absolute most profit.