Does Universal really innovate their rides? | Inside Universal Forums

Does Universal really innovate their rides?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Are Universal's rides really innovative?

• Yes

Votes: 42 87.5%
  • No

Votes: 6 12.5%

• Total voters
Jul 25, 2016
So my friends and I were debating over if Universal innovates their rides. I argued yes because some of their rides includes technology that are impressive to see in a theme park. Like Kuka arms from FJ or Gringotts, or their 3D Screens and their RVs.
They argued no because the technology they're using are similar to those existing before those rides were built. For example, Kuka arms used to make cars, and radio waves existed before any of these rides were built. They also argued that theaters and 3D existed before the screen rides at Universal therefore, making Universal non-innovative according to them.
I can see where they're coming from, but I still believe in my opinion.

Well, certainly nothing like Spiderman existed before. 3-D yes, but combining the movement using the squinching technique was revolutionary at the time (And has since been applied to other rides). But mostly its not one or two elements that make the rides unique, its the combination. Grongotts, for example, uses 3-D, motion bases, coaster elements including a tilt section. As far as I know, thats the first time all of those elements have been combined into one ride. Kong may be 3-D, but it combines motion bases, trackless vehicles, animatronics, and video projected at the HFR of 60fps.

So my friends and I were debating over if Universal innovates their rides. I argued yes because some of their rides includes technology that are impressive to see in a theme park. Like Kuka arms from FJ or Gringotts, or their 3D Screens and their RVs.
They argued no because the technology they're using are similar to those existing before those rides were built. For example, Kuka arms used to make cars, and radio waves existed before any of these rides were built. They also argued that theaters and 3D existed before the screen rides at Universal therefore, making Universal non-innovative according to them.

By that logic, no ride is truly an innovative design. Everything is just a copy and improvement of everything else.

I think in this point of time, I can see how people think there is a lack of innovation in the parks, I think most people see Kong as just another screenz attraction with Fallon and F&F following suit but there have been some amazing advances made in these parks; Spider-Man, Gringotts and FJ and thats just a few notable rides, the main innovation I think is the new level of detail in the new lands and the queues. Having a queue that people are prepared to just walk through for the queue itself would have been mind boggling a decade ago.

I think they have really strove to innovate with ride cars, track systems, and theming as of late..

I would also argue that they continually innovate with projection technology as each new ride looks more an more 'real life' short of not having glasses at all...

I truly believe that we will see Universal with the first glasses-less 3-D ride..

I have also witnessed a change in how rides are 'presented' to people at Universal..DA, for instance, redefined what a theme park land is and what its function is..

Instead of a hiding place for rides they are fully fleshed out universes...

I think Universal is really innovative with what they are doing..People give them flack because they don't use AAs, but I believe that may change with some things in the pipeline (pardon the pun)..

In the end it's not the technical innovation but if they succeed telling their story the way they want. Their trademark is putting you in the action and making you a participant instead of a spectator. I think they succeed most of the time. I was blown away by spiderman. I really believed he landed on the hood of the scoop mobil. I believed the bench was flying and I felt I was in the Gringotts bank and the magic interacted with our ride. I even was transported to another place riding the Hogwarts Express.
Some of these ride innovate a lot, some use old school tech in a new way, all of them succeed in creating a convincing illusion.

Reactions: Mad Dog
I voted yes, but I'll also add that my recent visit was with my girlfriend who had never been (she's been to Disney many times though) and she was blown away by many of the rides and just at how much she loved the resort as a whole. But she was really impressed with a lot of the rides and kept going on about it.

Would less 3D and screen-based attractions be a plus? Absolutely, but just because they've leaned a little too heavily on that technology doesn't mean they aren't innovating. Like others have pointed out, you have to look at the whole picture of what the ride is doing. I really look forward to seeing what they do with Nintendo.

I voted yes, but I'll also add that my recent visit was with my girlfriend who had never been (she's been to Disney many times though) and she was blown away by many of the rides and just at how much she loved the resort as a whole. But she was really impressed with a lot of the rides and kept going on about it.

Would less 3D and screen-based attractions be a plus? Absolutely, but just because they've leaned a little too heavily on that technology doesn't mean they aren't innovating. Like others have pointed out, you have to look at the whole picture of what the ride is doing. I really look forward to seeing what they do with Nintendo.

I think 3D is some what of a bottle neck right now. Once glassless 3D becomes viable, the freedom this could allow for ride vehicles could be massive.

I think if anybody is going to crack it, it will be Universal.

I think 3D is some what of a bottle neck right now. Once glassless 3D becomes viable, the freedom this could allow for ride vehicles could be massive.

I think if anybody is going to crack it, it will be Universal.
The day that technology is available they could switch all of their attractions to it...no more glasses

The day that technology is available they could switch all of their attractions to it...no more glasses

At first I thought there would be no way since would it be worth upgrading older rides? But the savings in glasses cleaning alone could quickly cover the costs unless it's something like Spider-Man or Transformers that has plenty of projectors.

By that logic, no ride is truly an innovative design. Everything is just a copy and improvement of everything else.

I think in this point of time, I can see how people think there is a lack of innovation in the parks, I think most people see Kong as just another screenz attraction with Fallon and F&F following suit but there have been some amazing advances made in these parks; Spider-Man, Gringotts and FJ and thats just a few notable rides, the main innovation I think is the new level of detail in the new lands and the queues. Having a queue that people are prepared to just walk through for the queue itself would have been mind boggling a decade ago.
Yeah my friends are space nerds (not theme park fans like me) and they really do believe that the technology used is kinda repeating itself over and over (unlike space technology according to them lol). I do think that within the theme park community, these types of innovations are known but outside of the theme parks the innovation isn't really not well known.
When I tried to explain the amazing queues some of these rides have they just scoffed and shook it off ("Lines? Who wants to go to a theme park because of lines?"), along with the detail these new lands have too.

Yeah my friends are space nerds (not theme park fans like me) and they really do believe that the technology used is kinda repeating itself over and over (unlike space technology according to them lol). I do think that within the theme park community, these types of innovations are known but outside of the theme parks the innovation isn't really not well known.
When I tried to explain the amazing queues some of these rides have they just scoffed and shook it off ("Lines? Who wants to go to a theme park because of lines?"), along with the detail these new lands have too.

They're picking and choosing arguments, all attraction designs are partially based on prior technology and implementations.

theme park tech can only improve as fast as other tech so when something major is made i.e better 3d or holograms or new space tech that theme parks would use

If you're looking at the technologies used, I think it's important to realize that very few, if any, theme park attractions require brand new technology. Most just repurpose technology found in other sectors. Most dark ride tech was originally from the manufacturing space. Simulator rides have their start in airplane simualtors for pilots.

Innovation comes from repurposing tech found elsewhere and creating an immersive theme

Reactions: Jon84