Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Dollywood!

I feel very comfortable at Dollywood and really love the park. I'm a big fan of elevation change in parks, and that was definitely a big plus to me. The rides were all solid, although I've yet to ride Mystery Mine, and the overall culture was very welcoming. Dollywood to me isn't a place where I have to run from ride to ride. It has more of a relaxing feel, and that's what I remember it for. You're definitely a lucky person. I'd kill to have something like that here in Florida.

I live in TN. Naturally, Dollywood is the only theme park nearby. I was just wondering if anyone else has been to this cute little theme park and what they thought about it!

I LOVE DOLLYWOOD!

I've been quite a few times. A couple of years ago - Mystery Mine's opening year - I made three seperate trips up there from Orlando in just that season (roughly 750 miles one way)

I also think the park excels in their Christmas season decorating to a level that's actually above the one Disney is on, and THAT'S saying a lot.

Love Mystery Mine. Thunderhead is my favorite wood coaster. Love Tennessee Tornado, and Blazing Fury is SO bad that it's a must do, every time. Dollywood has a charm to it that other parks couldn't even buy if they wanted to.

It would be amazing if you could give us photo updates and such from the park whenever you get the chance to visit. I'd definitely be thrilled to look.

lol. yeah, blazing fury is definitely a ride I have to ride every time I go because it's so rediculously bad... but if they ever did a massive rehab it would lose its charm.

---------- Post added at 11:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:21 PM ----------

this year they added a zip line attraction. I haven't gone this year, but I hope to go some time in the fall when the leaves change colors.

from what I've seen online, it looks pretty epic. 5 zip line cables stretch across the valleys... even going behind Tennessee tornado!

obviously it's a seperate attraction that you have to pay for, but I'm stoked! I love walking on trails and zip lines are crazy fun! yay!

lol. yeah, blazing fury is definitely a ride I have to ride every time I go because it's so rediculously bad... but if they ever did a massive rehab it would lose its charm.

Fire in the Hole at Silver Dollar City is a bit better. It's the exact same ride, but it's in much better condition, has a few nicer effects and actually has a bit of a storyline to it. There's a gang called the "bald knobbers" that is basically a bunch of criminal arsonists and they're setting the town on fire... So yeah - same scenes, but the bald knobbers are in them as well... plus they make use of the song, "Fire in the Hole" written for the attraction.

(If you aren't aware, Dollywood was original Silver Dollar City - same name as the other park in Branson. They both have a VERY similar feel. Similar theming and architecture, landscaping, etc between the two parks. If you can imagine this - Silver Dollar City is actually much *nicer* than Dollywood, even as amazing as Dollywood is.)

yeah, I knew about that. I never had the pleasure of visiting it before it become Dollywood, though.

If I manage to go this fall I'll make sure to take some pictures, especially if I get to do the skyzip attraction!

I've never been to Dollywood but the family and I were actually just looking into making a trip up that way next summer/fall possibly. The park looks really nice and it looks like there is a lot to do in the surrounding areas? Also looking at renting one of those log cabins in the mountains, anyone ever done that? One more question, have you guys ever been to the waterpark there? It doesn't look over the top exciting but might be a nice afternoon trip during the vacation.

Road Trip for Xmas at dollywood?

If I have the cash, I'm down. Except I don't want to go in December; I want to go in November. That's about as far south as you'll get fall leaves, and the combination of crips colored levels all over the ground and Christmas lights was something really special.

---------- Post added at 12:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 PM ----------

I've never been to Dollywood but the family and I were actually just looking into making a trip up that way next summer/fall possibly. The park looks really nice and it looks like there is a lot to do in the surrounding areas? Also looking at renting one of those log cabins in the mountains, anyone ever done that? One more question, have you guys ever been to the waterpark there? It doesn't look over the top exciting but might be a nice afternoon trip during the vacation.

There's a ton to do in the surrounding area. Both Pigeon Forge (where Dollywood is located) and Gatlinburg, the neighboring town, are kind of like a big tacky tourist area. It's like 192 in Kissimmee on steroids. Go-Karts, Mini Golf, tacky shops and tourist trap sights everywhere. There's even a few independantly operated rides - Earthquak in Gatlinburg and Jurassic Jungle Boat Ride in Pigeon Forge - both SO tragically bad that you just have to see them. Ripley's has an aquarium in Gatlinburg as well, and it was pretty decent.

I'd love to stay in one of the log cabins. I know people who have and they rave. They're quite pricey though. Really works best if you have a giant group traveling together that are all splitting it.

If anyone goes up let me know. I love Dollywood one of the nicest cleanest theme parks in the world. I live in middle Georgia and it 4-5 hours away I think rode with some one last time from Atlanta. I hear that in the winter the coasters can be a little cool to ride.

trading shes got rci and interval international and i think there is 1 more but i forget. also dvc and starwood points

If anyone goes up let me know. I love Dollywood one of the nicest cleanest theme parks in the world. I live in middle Georgia and it 4-5 hours away I think rode with some one last time from Atlanta. I hear that in the winter the coasters can be a little cool to ride.

Well, I just went a few weeks ago so if you're looking for photos or whatever, check out my "Chris' World Travels" thread in the Non-Orlando Parks forum.

In terms of the coasters - there is a minimum temperature required for them to run. This has nothing to do with "comfort" and everything about the colder it gets, the less likely the train is to make it through the course without valleying somewhere. Some rides in colder climates actually have heaters under the station that warm the wheels before going out on the course, so this temperature policy isn't at all uncommon.

From Atlanta, Dollywood is 3.5-4 hours tops. The shortest route is to go through the Smokey Mountain National Park, which will clock at about 190 miles. I would not recommend going that way, though. The distance is much shorter, but much of the way you'll find speed limits of 35mph, and you CANNOT go faster because they were very tight, winding mountain roads with very, very high cliffs on the side of you. The drive is breath-taking, so if you have time to kill, go for it; it's worth it. But if you're just looking to get to Dollywood, I'd recommend going up I-75 and going across I-40. That's roughly 250 miles, so it's longer, but actually takes much less time since you're traveling at on average 75mph the whole way.

If you mean Dollywood's waterpark, it is great. It isn't massive, but it IS really nice and pretty!

As for the cabins, you'll just have to do a lot of Internet searching to find what you want. My family stayed at a really nice one in pigeon forge. It was only 5 minutes away from the main road, yet it felt completely secluded.

PS - Dollywood's Splash Country (the park's water park) for some reason, decides to use freezing cold water... so only go if it's hot.

Yes when I went we took the interstate, Oh I have done it across the Smokies and it was a pain in the yasssss. Once you hit 441 in Georgia it is not bad, but the Cherokee is no fun at all.

No - I disagree - it was a lot of fun to see - but I had ALL day. It took a LONG time. I really loved the views and even stopped from some pictures here and there, but I won't be doing it again anytime soon. As a matter of fact I took I-40 back that night. haha.