DreamWorks Land coming to USF (2024) | Page 46 | Inside Universal Forums

DreamWorks Land coming to USF (2024)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Looking at conceot art am i right to believe the spiders are standing on giant blueberry like fruit? Similarly to how trolls lends itself to toys easily because of how colorful sparkly and all around attention catching it is, this land feels like it will be quite colorful and fun in a way I didnt really think abt til now!

Reactions: Suchomimus and Nico
So, I think two things can be true.

This land is eons better than Kidzone. And as a kid that spent most of their time in Kidzone due to deep-seated fear of the adult positioning and “edgy” marketing of Universal Studios, Kidzone was what made a full day for me at the parks. I wasn’t tall enough to ride most things, as all of us have been, and my day consisted of E.T, Nicktoon Blast, Shrek, and whatever my mom forced me to ride in my fear of bloody sharks and excessive gunfire as a kid affected personally by 9/11. I was not familiar with the Woody IP in the park even then, and the area was fun enough, but (let’s be honest) I begged my mom to visit Universal because of my love of SpongeBob and my wish to see Nickelodeon Studios. The area, even then, was disappointing, though it filled time. And, you know, there wasn’t a SpongeBob ride, really, it was all on a screen.

Of course, now there is Minion Land and Diagon Alley to occupy a kid’s time, too, but this refurbishment is in my opinion a total gain for the park. Dreamworks (especially the IP that have been chosen) is a tentpole, not-to-be-underestimated force and, at the very least, this design brings those characters to the park in a permanent way.

In my opinion, this land holds the space of Animation Courtyard in DHS. It very much feels like a stopgap measure included after the main design of the park was completed and underwent some operational changes. Because both parks did not have a great deal of foresight in design when dealing with younger audiences, these areas both feel like slapdash band-aids that would have to be remedied later more permanently by items like Minions, Toy Story Land, etc. Right now, Universal is in a really unique position in which it can make this area feel much more permanent and become a destination in it’s own right while similar areas like Animation Courtyard continue to languish in an unattractive liminal space.

Overall, while miles better than KidsZone, I feel the investment made here is short-sighted and reinforces Universal’s dismissal of family entertainment as a diversion rather than a main focus, a sentiment that may not make the rest of the company’s efforts feel particularly promising to an average consumer. This is only a red flag because it seems like this land is meant to justify a 3- or 4-day ticket, potentially leading families to choose Universal properties INSTEAD OF Disney properties once Epic opens.

The land will be a godsend for parents, yes, but remember that parents have a choice in where to spend their vacation money in the first place. This land is, I think objectively, a little bit better in immersive quality of Dollywood’s Wildwood Grove, an area that I think is extremely successful for younger kids but benefits greatly from being in a park where the other option for kids is a carnival-themed carnival, and a little bit worse than the new Disneyland Toontown, at least in the absence of two major dark rides and what seems (from recent visuals) to be a lack of a believable berm or true immersion in each movie’s fantasy world. It’s good, but will probably be outshined when compared to the ambitious family offerings in IoA and (soon) Epic. I imagine direct comparison from families on vacation won’t be great, and puts the Studios park (again) in last place when tourists are making their vacation decisions.

The bad-faith arguments that “children love playing with cardboard boxes, and so who cares about cardboard signs” begin to dissolve when you see the choices kids have in the Orlando area. Would you rather play in a cardboard box or unwrap a Nintendo 64, or a Barbie Dreamhouse? I think a lot of people underestimate the taste of kids. They also underestimate how important respect and the core childhood experience of a kid is when creating a lifelong brand relationship. I mean, I think even Disney’s forgetting that. Experiences like getting your own wand in a ceremony or stepping through a magic mirror back in time to Beast’s Castle at a very young age set expectations and create indelible impressions that inform future purchase habits.

I understand the reasons why this land is budget-oriented. But I feel that Universal is making a grave mistake in under-investing in these spectacular properties that should at least be given the respect of the most recent Toontown refurbishment in Disneyland. I don’t mind that there is no big dark ride here, but I do wish funds that could have been used for an additional ride were used to fully realize some of the flat aspects of the land or make effort to ease (potential) hard transitions between properties.

The way that the land is looking right now reminds me, sadly, of Toon Studios in Disney Studios Paris. There are bits of genius blended into clear budget-engineered spaces, that will require a retheme or rebranding every 3-5 years. I hate seeing Universal in this position, especially because the Dreamworks properties are absolutely worthy of the Seuss treatment.

The cognitive dissonance between Berk and this area is the thing, for me, that exacerbates the confusion as to why these decisions are being made. Universal has a chance to set a precedent for the Frisco park and telegraph that they are a family destination rather than a park that one can only appreciate when they grow up.

Of course, this land hasn’t opened yet, and has the ability to surprise us all with the infusion of fun it can supply. But I can’t help but wish that Universal took this area seriously on the first go.

Last edited:
So, I think two things can be true.

This land is eons better than Kidzone. And as a kid that spent most of their time in Kidzone due to deep-seated fear of the adult positioning and “edgy” marketing of Universal Studios, Kidzone was what made a full day for me at the parks. I wasn’t tall enough to ride most things, as all of us have been, and my day consisted of E.T, Nicktoon Blast, Shrek, and whatever my mom forced me to ride in my fear of bloody sharks and excessive gunfire as a kid affected personally by 9/11. I was not familiar with the Woody IP in the park even then, and the area was fun enough, but (let’s be honest) I begged my mom to visit Universal because of my love of SpongeBob and my wish to see Nickelodeon Studios. The area, even then, was disappointing, though it filled time. And, you know, there wasn’t a SpongeBob ride, really, it was all on a screen.

Of course, now there is Minion Land and Diagon Alley to occupy a kid’s time, too, but this refurbishment is in my opinion a total gain for the park. Dreamworks (especially the IP that have been chosen) is a tentpole, not-to-be-underestimated force and, at the very least, this design brings those characters to the park in a permanent way.

In my opinion, this land holds the space of Animation Courtyard in DHS. It very much feels like a stopgap measure included after the main design of the park was completed and underwent some operational changes. Because both parks did not have a great deal of foresight in design when dealing with younger audiences, these areas both feel like slapdash band-aids that would have to be remedied later more permanently by items like Minions, Toy Story Land, etc. Right now, Universal is in a really unique position in which it can make this area feel much more permanent and become a destination in it’s own right while similar areas like Animation Courtyard continue to languish in an unattractive liminal space.

Overall, while miles better than KidsZone, I feel the investment made here is short-sighted and reinforces Universal’s dismissal of family entertainment as a diversion rather than a main focus, a sentiment that may not make the rest of the company’s efforts feel particularly promising to an average consumer. This is only a red flag because it seems like this land is meant to justify a 3- or 4-day ticket, potentially leading families to choose Universal properties INSTEAD OF Disney properties once Epic opens.

The land will be a godsend for parents, yes, but remember that parents have a choice in where to spend their vacation money in the first place. This land is, I think objectively, a little bit better in immersive quality of Dollywood’s Wildwood Grove, an area that I think is extremely successful for younger kids but benefits greatly from being in a park where the other option for kids is a carnival-themed carnival, and a little bit worse than the new Disneyland Toontown, at least in the absence of two major dark rides and what seems (from recent visuals) to be a lack of a believable berm or true immersion in each movie’s fantasy world. It’s good, but will probably be outshined when compared to the ambitious family offerings in IoA and (soon) Epic. I imagine direct comparison from families on vacation won’t be great, and puts the Studios park (again) in last place when tourists are making their vacation decisions.

The bad-faith arguments that “children love playing with cardboard boxes, and so who cares about cardboard signs” begin to dissolve when you see the choices kids have in the Orlando area. Would you rather play in a cardboard box or unwrap a Nintendo 64, or a Barbie Dreamhouse? I think a lot of people underestimate the taste of kids. They also underestimate how important respect and the core childhood experience of a kid is when creating a lifelong brand relationship. I mean, I think even Disney’s forgetting that. Experiences like getting your own wand in a ceremony or stepping through a magic mirror back in time to Beast’s Castle at a very young age set expectations and create indelible impressions that inform future purchase habits.

I understand the reasons why this land is budget-oriented. But I feel that Universal is making a grave mistake in under-investing in these spectacular properties that should at least be given the respect of the most recent Toontown refurbishment in Disneyland. I don’t mind that there is no big dark ride here, but I do wish funds that could have been used for an additional ride were used to fully realize some of the flat aspects of the land or make effort to ease (potential) hard transitions between properties.

The way that the land is looking right now reminds me, sadly, of Toon Studios in Disney Studios Paris. There are bits of genius blended into clear budget-engineered spaces, that will require a retheme or rebranding every 3-5 years. I hate seeing Universal in this position, especially because the Dreamworks properties are absolutely worthy of the Seuss treatment.

The cognitive dissonance between Berk and this area is the thing, for me, that exacerbates the confusion as to why these decisions are being made. Universal has a chance to set a precedent for the Frisco park and telegraph that they are a family destination rather than a park that one can only appreciate when they grow up.

Of course, this land hasn’t opened yet, and has the ability to surprise us all with the infusion of fun it can supply. But I can’t help but wish that Universal took this area seriously on the first go.

Just out of curiousity... do you have children?

Just out of curiousity... do you have children?

I don’t myself, but I’ve taken many preschool-aged children on Disney trips and understand the very real need for rest and steam-release that a long, once-in-a-lifetime, expensive day in a theme park can bring.

I imagine you do, and are going to be really happy when this land opens and your kids have a place to run around and play? I think that this land is going to be really great for that, and don’t shade any parent who will enjoy this land. I think it’s a net positive.

I don’t myself, but I’ve taken many preschool-aged children on Disney trips and understand the very real need for rest and steam-release that a long, once-in-a-lifetime, expensive day in a theme park can bring.

I imagine you do, and are going to be really happy when this land opens and your kids have a place to run around and play? I think that this land is going to be really great for that, and don’t shade any parent who will enjoy this land. I think it’s a net positive.

No - don't get me wrong - I think there is some valid stuff in your post, but didn't want to assume what your personal situation is.

Ultimately, I think what's important to remember is what the goal of the land is. Berk is meant to anchor a new park with a broad family appeal. DreamWorks is meant to give children something to do in a park pretty barren for them, especially toddlers and pre-schoolers.

And despite a few cardboard signs - we have a pretty well-themed area, as well. Should the area get another ride? I think so - but I think its fair that just because it's not happening this Summer, doesn't mean it can never happen.

No - don't get me wrong - I think there is some valid stuff in your post, but didn't want to assume what your personal situation is.

Ultimately, I think what's important to remember is what the goal of the land is. Berk is meant to anchor a new park with a broad family appeal. DreamWorks is meant to give children something to do in a park pretty barren for them, especially toddlers and pre-schoolers.

And despite a few cardboard signs - we have a pretty well-themed area, as well. Should the area get another ride? I think so - but I think its fair that just because it's not happening this Summer, doesn't mean it can never happen.

Yeah, and I’ve thought of that for sure. I just have a lot of trust issues when it comes to “Phase 2” plans in general.

I agree. I think they can add a ride in the future and should. But this land does look well themed outside of a few odd choices that I won't judge until I see it in person (that cat head is just odd and I have seen the show). This will be a hit for my kids for sure.

Ouch at the Disney Studios Paris comparison but... you're not wrong. I agree that these properties should have been treated with a bit more regard considering their near-timelessness.

We're 23 years removed from Shrek's first film, 16 years from the first Kung Fu Panda, and only 8 years from Trolls but combined over a dozen films and a billion plus in box office.

There was some brief excitement when the pink structure getting built was thought to be a flat ride, and I think it would have made the land feel complete. I think something like that would be a nice finishing touch.

FWIW when I went to USF as a kid I have no memories of this area except ET. I've never ridden Woody's coaster which is weird now that I think about it. I'm sure kids will enjoy this area so much more now because there's things here I wish I had back then.

…better. I actually do like Gabby's sign and that parts of it are layers or add depth, or does so convincingly on a flat base I can't tell in that photo. Not sure how well it would look from the side but I have no issues with it surprisingly.

The DreamWorks one would've done well with a similar layering approach.

We're 23 years removed from Shrek's first film, 16 years from the first Kung Fu Panda, and only 8 years from Trolls but combined over a dozen films and a billion plus in box office.
I'm getting ready for bed, it's too late at night to start thinking about decades past! :skull:

I have always said I don't understand how overseas parks will introduce entire parades and Summer events centered around hosing down their guests as it gets into the higher 80s range of temps.

Yet here in Florida, it's like they want to pretend their guests aren't melting in this heat. They'll announce 100 Degrees of Magic as the summer promo and expect everyone to come and not die.

I have always said I don't understand how overseas parks will introduce entire parades and Summer events centered around hosing down their guests as it gets into the higher 80s range of temps.

Yet here in Florida, it's like they want to pretend their guests aren't melting in this heat. They'll announce 100 Degrees of Magic as the summer promo and expect everyone to come and not die.
Yet they don’t wanna get wet on the splash rides haha