Dreamworks Theatre with Kung Fu Panda - Coming 2018 | Page 26 | Inside Universal Forums

Dreamworks Theatre with Kung Fu Panda - Coming 2018

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I think part of the reason why they are no plans to do a new film right now has to do with the fact that animation is a long process and I am pretty sure the artists at Dreamworks would want their works to be shown for a substantial period time which would be several years (maybe a decade) to make it worth their while to create these attractions. I could see a new film in 2024-2025.
TBH I think it's just not worth the cost for Universal. It's costly and a harder thing to market than an actual new attraction, and the current show isn't exactly pulling in large crowds anyways.

lol

If Trolls.....trolls gets a show when they have Shrek, Puss, HTTYD, Bad Guys and so on....just that sucks. Trolls is for one audience and rest are for everyone
Replacing the Shrek 4D replacement with more Shrek when the experience would likely be similar to the original would be kinda weird, Puss in Boots would kinda fall under that. Bad Guys underperformed. I guess that leaves HTTYD, but with EU just around the corner, it'd be weird to have two fundamentally VERY different attractions based on the same property open around the same time. Trolls was wildly popular in the box office and in merchandising, is fresher and likely more relevant to kids, and would be tonally very different from KFP. I haven't seen the movie personally but at the very least it's easily recognizable to both parents and young children, and young children are probably part of the target demo for this attraction as it's one of the few in the park with no hight limit. That's just my take on it anyways, but again I don't think anyone should expect anything any time soon

Also from what I can find Puss in Boots 1 made more then Trolls box office (both in the US and worldwide)......so if we want to play which movie made more money.

I don't want to hate on Trolls fans...enjoy if thats yout thing. But Trolls and Sing are just made for people who enjoy them....Puss 2 is being called a masterpiece is anyone really calling Trolls more then it is...a fun kids movie

I wouldn't say Puss 2 is a masterpiece but it is a pretty strong animation film.

Also from what I can find Puss in Boots 1 made more then Trolls box office (both in the US and worldwide)......so if we want to play which movie made more money.

Comparing Trolls and Puss in Boots is like apples and oranges. Sure, the first Puss grossed more than Trolls, but... that's not even the point @salismetho is making? The Trolls brand has been around since 1959. Watch everything from Toy Story to Guardians of the Galaxy and you'll see Troll dolls. They're iconic, and the movie(s) were just one facet of capitalizing on the brand in a decades-long history. The Puss movie(s) may be "better" than the Trolls movies, both in terms of critical reception and gross, but Trolls as an IP is absolutely bigger overall than Puss in Boots, full stop, recognizable the world over to multiple generations because of the fact it's been around for over 60 years. I don't think Trolls is gonna replace Panda at the theater, but like... Let's not pretend like Trolls is some little known IP.

Comparing Trolls and Puss in Boots is like apples and oranges. Sure, the first Puss grossed more than Trolls, but... that's not even the point @salismetho is making? The Trolls brand has been around since 1959. Watch everything from Toy Story to Guardians of the Galaxy and you'll see Troll dolls. They're iconic, and the movie(s) were just one facet of capitalizing on the brand in a decades-long history. The Puss movie(s) may be "better" than the Trolls movies, both in terms of critical reception and gross, but Trolls as an IP is absolutely bigger overall than Puss in Boots, full stop, recognizable the world over to multiple generations because of the fact it's been around for over 60 years. I don't think Trolls is gonna replace Panda at the theater, but like... Let's not pretend like Trolls is some little known IP.

Wait Trolls is based off those dolls? I couldn't tell by the art style at all, I thought they were completely separate things.

lol

The attraction doesn't even have a gift shop but people here think what ever show is in is based on what they will sell more at the Dream work shop...which is literally filled with characters from all movies.

Trolls is in the middle of Dreamworks films gross wise and rated wise. Its fine for what it is but when you have other IPs that are just as loved if not more, not sure why people on here want Trolls so bad but its not minions or anything that special. Most people dont even know its part of the toy line.

If you guys want Trolls cool, my vote is for basically anything but Trolls and Boss Baby. Dream works has too many great to amazing films for me for Trolls to be the top pick.

I experienced this yesterday. On a weekday at 4 pm, I literally walked right in to the pre show room. The theater was less than 2/3 full. At the end of the show, I think 1 person clapped.

I haven't seen this in a while, but has that been everyone else’s experience? I remember it being a bit more popular than that.

Also, Bad Guys posters are now featured in the back of the theater
20221128_163034.jpg

I experienced this yesterday. On a weekday at 4 pm, I literally walked right in to the pre show room. The theater was less than 2/3 full. At the end of the show, I think 1 person clapped.

I haven't seen this in a while, but has that been everyone else’s experience? I remember it being a bit more popular than that.

View attachment 17937
I'm surprised but everytime I've gone people clap.

Also posters have been there I swear since April if not before

View attachment 17937
Those have been there since the spring. If crowds are dwindling that is a sign it's time to change the media out.

Better yet put the Bourne Show there.
If they removed DWT for Bourne they should at least create a Dreamworks land or mini land with interactive dark rides to make up for losing DWT. it would be better than the reskin of KZ at USF.

TBH I think it's just not worth the cost for Universal. It's costly and a harder thing to market than an actual new attraction, and the current show isn't exactly pulling in large crowds anyways.

Replacing the Shrek 4D replacement with more Shrek when the experience would likely be similar to the original would be kinda weird, Puss in Boots would kinda fall under that. Bad Guys underperformed. I guess that leaves HTTYD, but with EU just around the corner, it'd be weird to have two fundamentally VERY different attractions based on the same property open around the same time. Trolls was wildly popular in the box office and in merchandising, is fresher and likely more relevant to kids, and would be tonally very different from KFP. I haven't seen the movie personally but at the very least it's easily recognizable to both parents and young children, and young children are probably part of the target demo for this attraction as it's one of the few in the park with no hight limit. That's just my take on it anyways, but again I don't think anyone should expect anything any time soon
Might as bite the bullet and have Trolls be the next show. Then after that you can go for an IP that is newer and different than all of DWA's current IPs.

Those have been there since the spring. If crowds are dwindling that is a sign it's time to change the media out.
I think we'll get an update if there's a major lull in new attraction line-up. Since we're getting Nintendo World next year and likely getting the F&F coaster the year after, and then possibly a string of new attractions after that (Simpsons replacement, soundstage expansion area), there's enough new stuff to keep crowds coming. I would really like to be wrong on this, but I can easily see why Universal doesn't want to invest a lot more money for pricy animation in an attraction that, at the end of the day, is a stationary simulator which is something they're already attempting to move away from

If they removed DWT for Bourne they should at least create a Dreamworks land or mini land with interactive dark rides to make up for losing DWT. it would be better than the reskin of KZ at USF.
KZ is a bit more than a reskin fwiw, and I see no reason to believe that they wouldn't expand it in the future to include a dark ride

I think we'll get an update if there's a major lull in new attraction line-up. Since we're getting Nintendo World next year and likely getting the F&F coaster the year after, and then possibly a string of new attractions after that (Simpsons replacement, soundstage expansion area), there's enough new stuff to keep crowds coming. I would really like to be wrong on this, but I can easily see why Universal doesn't want to invest a lot more money for pricy animation in an attraction that, at the end of the day, is a stationary simulator which is something they're already attempting to move away from

KZ is a bit more than a reskin fwiw, and I see no reason to believe that they wouldn't expand it in the future to include a dark ride
2024 is USH's 60th. Maybe they will give us two experiences F&F coaster and a new DWT to celebrate that milestone. I have read elsewhere on the site that they are major things coming to USH in 2026 and 2028. But 2025 there is nothing mentioned so far. If there is year off in 2025 to brace for the big additions coming in 2026-2028, that could be when we get that new DWT show. But I wonder what time of year would it go down. In January or in May to reopen in June right before the summer season starts?

Reactions: alias8703
Don’t ask me what took me so long to see it, but I finally saw the masterpiece that was Puss in Boots 2.

I want a Puss in Boots overlay for this right the heck NOW. Are they ever going to put a new film in here?

Reactions: Jerroddragon
Don’t ask me what took me so long to see it, but I finally saw the masterpiece that was Puss in Boots 2.

I want a Puss in Boots overlay for this right the heck NOW. Are they ever going to put a new film in here?
Maybe we will see a new film in 2025. My guess is something with HTTYD to tie into the EU opening. I say 2025 as with the Fast and Furious coaster being the new addition for 2024 and DK likely coming in 2026 that leaves 2025 as a gap year for now. And to continue with the tradition of a new attraction every year, a new DWT film for 2025 would be an ideal option if there is nothing physically new planned to open that year.

Considering how the movie ends, its financial success, and the crazy nostalgia surge for the IP as a whole these past few years, it's looking likely that we'll be getting a Shrek 5. Wouldn't it be ironic if - of all the DreamWorks properties - it's Shrek that finally bumps out Kung Fu Panda, and they make a whole new Shrek experience to take over the theater around the same time the sequel hits that incorporates Puss, Kitty, etc.? We've all spent years wondering what would/could/should replace KFP, from Dragons to Trolls to The Bad Guys, that it'd be hilarious if it all ends up with the ogre and his friends coming back home.