Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Drones in Theme Parks

Nov 23, 2013
Seattle, WA!
Wanted to make this thread, as it's an interesting thing to talk about.

Drones, have been growing more in consumer and technical use; and it hasn't really been used in Theme Park's..until as of the past few years.

Notably, drones have begun to be kicking up, as Disney was the first to roll out patents for usage of drones to replace fireworks, as a cheaper and more safe option. And in 2016, Disney used the first version of Drones in a setting around their resorts; with Starbright Holiday's at Disney Springs.

Starbright Holiday's, was a collaboration between The Walt Disney Company and the tech giant, Intel; and was met with a mixed reception.

As of 2016, outside of moments to where patents have begun to be filed, it's gone quiet for drones in a large scale themed entertainment envionment..until now.

Seaworld San Diego has officially unveiled via the recent meeting; a joint-collaboration that's being worked with the same tech giant, Intel for the summer season; titled BrilliantSea Sky Show.

p358.png

Exclusive: B&M Dive Coaster "Mako" coming to SeaWorld San Diego in 2020

The show, if it meet's it's goal, has the potential to be the first time that a massive themed corporation has implemented a drone show inside the park.

With Seaworld and Disney looking to a future of Drones, what do you think of the use of this tech in the parks?

I think drones can compliment a firework display but I don’t think they can replace them.

There’s something about lighting the sky up with a massive explosion.

Drones are also limited with what they can do as you need to be in the correct position for it to work. For the Magic Kingdom, it might look great on Main Street but if you’re a 100ft to the side, you’re going to get a skewed view.

A flying dragon or a DeLorean as a drone though, that would be awesome.

I think drones can compliment a firework display but I don’t think they can replace them.

There’s something about lighting the sky up with a massive explosion.

Drones are also limited with what they can do as you need to be in the correct position for it to work. For the Magic Kingdom, it might look great on Main Street but if you’re a 100ft to the side, you’re going to get a skewed view.

A flying dragon or a DeLorean as a drone though, that would be awesome.
There's also the problem that drones are fragile, and would probably not do well around exploding fireworks.

There's also the problem that drones are fragile, and would probably not do well around exploding fireworks.
Drones could work with the 360 viewing of the World Showcase Lagoon though. Imagine hundreds, if not over a thousand, drones flying to form a 360 globe of the Earth. Now like I said, i'm fairly certain that the new Epcot show will not feature drones at all, but it could be cool if done right. Would limit fireworks though as pointed out.

I feel like they're a maintenance nightmare...I'm also not sure how they would fare in a gust of wind

They do tend to make a lot of noise as well

Bottom line, they're pretty cool I guess haha

I don't think intel is a testing a record amount of drones making a globe for sea world. Illuminations has portions without fireworks. The drones wouldn't need to be going over guests as the lake is large enough that they can even do low level fireworks at all. Someone pointed out it was possibly on intel to prove this is reliable to implement to Disney. Disney also did the Disney Springs test for a reason.

I don't think intel is a testing a record amount of drones making a globe for sea world. Illuminations has portions without fireworks. The drones wouldn't need to be going over guests as the lake is large enough that they can even do low level fireworks at all. Someone pointed out it was possibly on intel to prove this is reliable to implement to Disney. Disney also did the Disney Springs test for a reason.
The Disney Springs test I think was actually a mutually beneficial thing. Remember, less than 2 months after it ended at Disney Springs, Intel was doing a large scale drone show as a part of the Super Bowl halftime show.

The Disney Springs test I think was actually a mutually beneficial thing. Remember, less than 2 months after it ended at Disney Springs, Intel was doing a large scale drone show as a part of the Super Bowl halftime show.
My question is, like AA's I suppose, how do they run on a 365 day basis....I'm interested to find out

And now that's what im talking about!

It's only been since the super bowl where I realized they now have the tech to pixel map drones so close to an audience, and above head...

This is an outstanding feat, and only a glimpse of things to come.

It seems the drones work best when it's a WOW moment, not just a sky scene. The deer patronus is perfect for a scene, at the moment it occurs. I don't think the random drone scenes work as well, and are certainly not replacements for fireworks in general. A limited special scene that emphasizes the story, is really the only effective use I've seen portrayed. The other random drone stuff, to replace a fireworks scene, could get old real quick.

It seems the drones work best when it's a WOW moment, not just a sky scene. The deer patronus is perfect for a scene, at the moment it occurs. I don't think the random drone scenes work as well, and are certainly not replacements for fireworks in general. A limited special scene that emphasizes the story, is really the only effective use I've seen portrayed. The other random drone stuff, to replace a fireworks scene, could get old real quick.
Yeah, we’re in such an early stage of drone usage in theme parks that think it’s not clear exactly how it’s best to use them and create those “wow” moments yet while mixing them with projection media and fireworks, but I know we’ll get there and this is a great first step.