Dueling Dragons: Choose Thy Fate (HHN 32) | Page 5 | Inside Universal Forums

Dueling Dragons: Choose Thy Fate (HHN 32)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I’m slightly dissatisfied.

I think the variety of the scares is good, and the sets are all top tier. But not having atleast some interaction with the dragons (as some sort of scare) to the guests hurts the house so much.

I’ll go into more detail later but it’s just kinda a pretty good house for me. Definitely not bad tho.

I get that it would have required a lot of work, but I’m surprised at the lack of scares from the dragons themselves (via puppeteering or else), at least from the POVS I’ve seen. That is if there is any dragon scare at all. Then again I didn’t bother listening to any of the house backstories this year yet.

BTW you can see a Dragon Forge (Terra Cruentus) shield in one of the rooms.

Last edited:
I know it's an odd thing but... the house was not about the Dragons. It's about the Warlocks vs. Merlyn.
Like I said I didn’t listen to the backstories but it’s still a bizarre choice to title a house “Dueling Dragons” when said dragons are not really the focus and they barely show up. It’s like those Tim Burton “Batman” films which were really about the villains. If I started attending this year, I would be pretty darn disappointed in this house, especially since I have a fondness for IOA.

Like I said I didn’t listen to the backstories but it’s still a bizarre choice to title a house “Dueling Dragons” when said dragons are not really the focus and they barely show up. It’s like those Tim Burton “Batman” films which were really about the villains. If I started attending this year, I would be pretty darn disappointed in this house, especially since I have a fondness for IOA.

Well because you still get Dueling Dragons. If you know the ride, you know the story, except the dragons now get a "warlock" twist.

It sounds like the complaints stem from each individual's "headcanon" instead of what is presented.

I know it's an odd thing but... the house was not about the Dragons. It's about the Warlocks vs. Merlyn.
My first thought walking out was they should've come up with a dorky fan service name like "Chronicles of Merylnwood" or something similar that old school fans would still mark out over. I get what they're going for, but the majority of HHN-goers who never visited UOR before Hogsmeade opened are going to be confused.

I get what they're going for, but the majority of HHN-goers who never visited UOR before Hogsmeade opened are going to be confused.
But at the same time, most normal day guests I interact with (from family members, friends, general guests around me in line) rarely even know what the name of the non-IP houses they're going into are let alone the plot. Case in point, the group in line near me yesterday that were discussing how every house this year is based on a different movie (while waiting for Dragons).

The intricate little plot details are for the super fans. The majority of HHN-goers are going to see cool scenic and scary actors and have fun lol. We're the only ones who really make this all such a deep issue hah.

Last edited:
My first thought walking out was they should've come up with a dorky fan service name like "Chronicles of Merylnwood" or something similar that old school fans would still mark out over. I get what they're going for, but the majority of HHN-goers who never visited UOR before Hogsmeade opened are going to be confused.

Now I think this is fair - because while it's lovely fanservice and does the attraction justice.. it's not really "Horror". Without the attachment to the coasters, does it have the same hook for the GP?

Cool as hell to walk-through though!

But at the same time, most normal day guests I interact with (from family members, friends, general guests around me in line) rarely even know what the name of the non-IP houses they're going into are let alone the plot. Case in point, the group in line near me yesterday that were discussing how every house this year is based on a different movie (while waiting for Dragons).

The intricate little plot details are for the super fans. The majority of HHN-goers are going to see cool scenic and scary actors and have fun lol. We're the only ones who really make this all such a deep issue.
Also fair... HAHA

Yeah, I think it's fair to complain about the lack of dragons in a house called "Dueling Dragons", especially when the ride it's based on was also about riding literal dragons, not really about warlocks. The warlock idea is about as deep-cut fan service as you can get, and most people who remember DD/Dragon Challenge probably only remember the statues out front and the Blue and Red coaster track/cars.

I also think that a lot of the complaints would be less justified if we even got a single puppet or big head scare for each Dragon. The setpiece dragons are neat, but it's like if they did Tooth Fairy and the house was mostly about a murderous rich family that steals teeth to exchange for money, and there also happens to be a pretty cool Tooth Fairy statue close to the finale. I get why they could take it that direction, but a Tooth Fairy house should probably have some Tooth Fairies right?

Definitely my only major complaint with this house is that I wish they had made the dragons just SLIGHTLY mobile. It would honestly have gone a long way, because to me they just look like statues

Genuine question:

Adding mobility means a higher cost for the puppet. Would you have taken that but lost an awesome set piece or important effect elsewhere in the house?

Genuine question:

Adding mobility means a higher cost for the puppet. Would you have taken that but lost an awesome set piece or important effect elsewhere in the house?
No just take away from the Chucky budget lolz. But in all honesty, in a house called “Dueling Dragons”, I feel like that is something that should’ve been prioritized. I understand your point, and I still loved the house so it certainly isn’t a dealbreaker for me. It just was something that would’ve really tied everything together for me

Do the dragons breathe smoke? You don't need movement if you have smoke. Look at the potter ride dragon or disco yeti at Disney.
If their heads were pointing down a little bit more and they shoot smoke at you or something, it would scare people ( or airguns. Airguns at you )

Do the dragons dont do anything? I'm surprised they didnt add anything.

Also is the ice path better?

Do the dragons breathe smoke? You don't need movement if you have smoke. Look at the potter ride dragon or disco yeti at Disney.
If their heads were pointing down a little bit more and they shoot smoke at you or something, it would scare people ( or airguns. Airguns at you )

Do the dragons dont do anything? I'm surprised they didnt add anything.

Also is the ice path better?

The ice path isn’t better people just have a natural tendency to go right when presented with the option. That’s the same thing that happens when they enter a theme park. Couple that with the fact that people are sheep and play follow the leader even when presented with a choice and you get everyone choosing ice.

Last edited: