Dune at Universal? | Inside Universal Forums
  • Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Would you like to see Dune at IOA?

• Total voters
Jul 26, 2016
(Keep Spoiler Free Until Further Notice Please)

I had a feeling about this when the first few trailers and promo items dropped for Dune but I think the fan and critical reception of this film solidifies it. I think Dune would be a great addition to the IOA line up and I want to know everyone else’s thoughts too.

From multiple parties calling it the next Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter level property with how much it exceeds with fantastical world building, to the level of uniqueness and spectacle it carries with its storytelling, I think Dune has a place at IOA. It continues the unofficial theme of every island being based off a book, it happens to have some serious star power in its favor, it adds the genre of true sci-fi to IOA which it currently doesn’t have and I think the ride systems and storytelling can mix well together to continue Universal’s trend of pushing theme park boundaries.

Considering Universal’s existing relationship with WB and Dune being a WB project and seeing as they like to continue developing relationships (i.e. HHN x Netflix), I think if anyone is gonna have a chance at theme park rights if it gets to that point, Universal has an nice advantage. Also considering Universal already-owned property lineup is running a bit dry and them reaching out to create more partnered experiences like Nintendo or Pokemon, I see Dune as a huge player in competing at the the what-Galaxy’s-Edge-could’ve-been level that Universal provides.

In terms of ride systems or experiences or merch, I’m not sure yet as I haven’t watched the film but I think an indoor attraction that mixes screens and physical sets can add a much needed AC break to IOA while using the actors to the rides advantage but not creating another simulator ride. I think an elevated more practical set version of Gringotts with a little more coaster thrill while in a ship could be nice. Not too much coaster though, but more than a drop. I think Lost Continent is the perfect plot of land for this new ”World of Dune” to be showcased with the movies ships plotted around the area, a small fight training stage show, some exotic food offerings, merch of the characters or their weaponry and two serious banger rides (one on the level of forbidden journey or gringotts and one like a more complimentary piece a la Dr. Doom or Hippogriff) would round out this part of the park very nicely. Who wouldn’t wanna see Jason Mamoa on a ride?!?!

what are you’re guys thoughts on this? Remember to be spoiler free about the movie until it’s been out for a month or so so most amount of people can enjoy it.

I think it’s been discussed how it’s too “adult” for theme parks. More so, the films are made for adults and less so for families, unlike Potter/Star Wars. So I’m not sure it reaches a wide enough audience.

Ive never seen Dune, however from the trailers I love this idea. Bring it to Epic Universe though, not IOA. Zelda for IOA lol

Reactions: SeventyOne
I thought about Epic but I figured with the rumor of Pokemon going into one expansion plot, I figured they wouldn’t want to expand out all of their potential land with current properties. Just in case something special comes along 5-10 years from now.

I thought about Epic but I figured with the rumor of Pokemon going into one expansion plot, I figured they wouldn’t want to expand out all of their potential land with current properties. Just in case something special comes along 5-10 years from now.
They still need to make Dune part 2. Probably late 2023 at the earliest, maybe 2024, so the films will be wrapped up by the time the park opens. If it has sustainability, no reason why this can’t open in the early 2030s.

Reactions: Jamesh22
I've loved Dune since I saw the first movie and read the book in middle school. The problem is there aren't any truly iconic locations to base it on. Nor do I see much in the way of merch (wear a stilsuit kids!) or cuisine, other than something with a lot of cinnamon. The one truly iconic thing in the story--the worms--would be next to impossible to pull off in a theme park environment.

Also, if specifically based on the new movie:

I found the designs rather boring. I really missed the crazy, "out of this world" HR Geiger designs from the 84 version. Those costumes looked like space opera. These look like generic dieselpunk (House Atreides) and the Catholic Church (the Empire). Everything is too realistic, theme parks need a splash of the fantastical.

Reactions: AlexanderMBush
Nice evaluation. What ride systems would you like to see for it? Even if you don’t have the context of the story at the moment, I’d be interested to see what you have to say.

I think any rollercoaster is not ideal considering if it’s in IOA, the two powerhouses of the park are directly connected to it and if it were at Epic (the hub coaster, donkey Kong and httyd all provide different enough yet similar experiences) as well as a water ride wouldn’t fit with a franchise known for its desert planet haha

the only thouhht I had if they did wait until the 2030s is, the two main actors would be aged out of their roles so it’d be like having Harry Potter attractions filmed now. It wouldn’t be the worst but it would take you out of it I feel just a little bit.

A giant Sandworm animatronic or a Transformers Devastator style shot would be epic

They still need to make Dune part 2. Probably late 2023 at the earliest, maybe 2024, so the films will be wrapped up by the time the park opens. If it has sustainability, no reason why this can’t open in the early 2030s.

Villieneuve has said he plans a trilogy; Part 1 and Part 2 based on the first book and a 3rd movie based on Dune: Messiah. There is actually then enough source material for another trilogy after that.
That would keep the series relevant for a theme park attraction. Not that I think this will happen.

Reactions: Cup_Of_Coffee
I still honestly don't know what Dune is beyond the Worm referenced in several pop culture things and (very stupidly) asking my friend if the movie trailer before Venom was "for Star Wars", but sure, It seems different from current offerings in the Universal Parks. However I may agree that it may be an IP that's hard to pull from for merch and food or to replicate the most iconic part of it. This seems like one of those perfect things where it's a shame most "put it in theme parks" discourse has to revolve around or justify a whole land with food and merch etc versus say, this being a thing that would make one really cool ride if done right.

Having just seen the film, a Dune ride can work well with a flying ride system/inverted spinning coaster. A Dune land would be much more challenging since Arrakis lacks diverse environments for several rides and a main land.

They still need to make Dune part 2.
You seem to have a lot of confidence they'll actually make a part 2. With only a $30-$32M domestic opening weekend and doing relatively weak box office worldwide, i'm not so sure. The only thing that gives me hope is that Discovery will eventually take over.

Reactions: SeventyOne
You seem to have a lot of confidence they'll actually make a part 2. With only a $30-$32M domestic opening weekend and doing relatively weak box office worldwide, i'm not so sure. The only thing that gives me hope is that Discovery will eventually take over.
WB has said the HBO Max performance is what will be the deciding factor, I also believe I saw an article the other day stating they’re pleased with the worldwide box office. If it’s closer than not to $35 mil, with a good HBO Max shoeing, a sequel definitely happens. I really don’t see them wasting this cast like that.

Universal: *Has Dreamworks, Illumination, Potter (deal), Nintendo (deal) and Jurrassic franchise*

Universal: "What if we built a Dune land"
Plus allegedly has the theme park rights to Lord of the Rings. On topic, could Dune be a great land? Sure. But there are so many other options before it comes to that.

I love, love, love Dune the books and the Denis Villeneuve movie but I voted "no".
The ip is too much for a niche public that likes an intelligent story and no hand holding. That is not for the general public for sure.
Also the books and films are a political drama, and in the 2021 movie version on a grand scale that can't be replicated in a theme park.
I would be first to stand in land to experience it but going into the Shai-Hulud coaster, order a box of pain from a Bene Gesserit filled with pizza fries, flying in a ornithopter where each person has to push some buttons and buy a Gom Jabbar to kill some Harkonnen in a dark ride screen shooter is not going to do justice to the movie or the books, it's lame. Although flying in a fat suite over Poe Dameron's naked body during a themed dinner experience...