Dyson Hand Dryers? | Inside Universal Forums

Dyson Hand Dryers?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
May 26, 2012
Weird question, but every single Dyson Hand Dryer in all the parks and CityWalk has been slapped with an out of order sign. Did something happen with them? It seems very odd

Was the same way about two weeks ago when I visited, wasn't sure if they were a new addition and now working yet or if they had problems with them.

They also installed new automatic towel dispenser in most bathrooms around the parks. These hand dryers have some serious issues. They are also all being replaced, little by little.

Weird question, but every single Dyson Hand Dryer in all the parks and CityWalk has been slapped with an out of order sign. Did something happen with them? It seems very odd

Been that way since August when I was there.

Any idea what the issue is? Ive seen these installed elsewhere so was curious what Universal had problems with

It's probably something so ticky tack too... For them to all go down at once and stay down this long screams recall/warranty claims and or dispute between customer and vendor.

I always liked the Dysons, thought they were the best electric hand dryers around. they actually work and I thought they helped contain the ick

It seems like a lot of people don't use them the right way. The concept of the Dyson dryers versus traditional dryers is that the air blows the water off your hands instead of warm air just drying it. You have to move your hands up and down so that the blade of air scrapes the water off. I see people all the time just hold their hands in their like they are waiting for the air to dry their hands.

FWIW, the ones in my corporate HQ in NYC were also "out of order" in September. It was funny because I had just noticed this during HHN a couple days before.

I always liked the Dysons, thought they were the best electric hand dryers around. they actually work and I thought they helped contain the ick

Maybe it does via some super scientific explanation. But warm wet dark enclosed areas seem like a breeding ground for bacteria and I don't care to put my hands in there.

Count me in with the "unsanitary" crowd for the Dyson Airblade dryers. The water seems to pool up on the bottom of them, not far from where you put your hands when they're the deepest in. They do a decent job getting the water off and your hands pretty dry, however, I prefer the Xlerator hand dryers that many other theme parks have put in. They don't require you to put your hands inside anything and they have hurricane-force winds that not only blow the water away, but your hands too. Success! Xlerator dryers seem much cheaper than the Dysons ($450-$500 vs. $1300-$1400)...those Airblades aren't cheap!

Last edited:

That would be the study that was funded by the tissue paper industry.....hmmm surprising conclusion then.

Count me in with the "unsanitary" crowd for the Dyson Airblade dryers. The water seems to pool up on the bottom of them, not far from where you put your hands when they're the deepest in. They do a decent job getting the water off and your hands pretty dry, however, I prefer the Xlerator hand dryers that many other theme parks have put in. They don't require you to put your hands inside anything and they have hurricane-force winds that not only blow the water away, but your hands too. Success! Xlerator dryers seem much cheaper than the Dysons ($450-$500 vs. $1300-$1400)...those Airblades aren't cheap!

How far do you put your hands in? Mine come nowhere near the bottom. Agreed that the do collect a little water at the bottom at times, but they only get grimey when they don't get adequate cleaning.

It seems like a lot of people don't use them the right way. The concept of the Dyson dryers versus traditional dryers is that the air blows the water off your hands instead of warm air just drying it. You have to move your hands up and down so that the blade of air scrapes the water off. I see people all the time just hold their hands in their like they are waiting for the air to dry their hands.

Yup, see this all the time, the same people then normally complain the driers are rubbish. Have you see the new line of V driers from Dyson? It's the same kind of principal but without having to put your hand inside anything.....some people seem to struggle with the concept of having your hands out flat and pulling them through the airstream. Instead they rub them together like if using a conventional drier.

I agree, I couldn't remember the name of those Xlerator hand dryers.

What I do not like about the Dysons is you need to put your hands in such an unnatural position it is hard to not touch the thing. Then I'll pull my hands thru the 'blade' like 5 times and they still feel moist.

I agree, I couldn't remember the name of those Xlerator hand dryers.

What I do not like about the Dysons is you need to put your hands in such an unnatural position it is hard to not touch the thing. Then I'll pull my hands thru the 'blade' like 5 times and they still feel moist.

Good call on the "unnatural" hand positioning. Agreed! I find that I put my hands in the farthest and then SLOWLY pulling them out gets them pretty dry. I'd say my hands are pretty close to average-sized, when I put mine in (up to the mid-wrist) I'm just about touching the bottom of the dryer. I'm sure they get cleaned at least daily (possibly several times daily), but they just gross me out when I see all sorts of water and God-knows-what pooling up on the bottom of them during the busy times I'm at the parks (mostly HHN). Yuck.