E.T. Adventure General Discussion | Page 50 | Inside Universal Forums
  • Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
There’s no rumor because there are no plans. The show will be two-three years over before a ride would open. What would be the point?
Can’t the same argument be made for HTTYD at Epic Universe then? It’ll be at least 4 years old by the time it opens. Film is longer lasting then TV I understand that, but I still think there’s an argument to be made for an attraction based on the show. It’s one of the biggest and most popular streamed shows ever and changed the streaming industry completely.

Ah yes, because the last attraction Universal made based on a popular tv show that once had a presence at Horror Nights that everyone thought would have staying power turned out great and is still relevant... oh wait.
Television just doesn’t have the same staying power as movies. There is a reason that every attraction based on a TV show either becomes quickly outdated (Idol) or never gets out of development quick enough (P&F in the Magic Eye).

Tv shows have just as much staying power as movies. The problem is that the highest rated tv shows don’t apply well to theme parks.

Game of Thrones
Breaking Bad
The Sopranos
The Wire
Band of Brothers
True Detective
Friends
The Office

None of them will work in a park.

The Simpsons and Twilight Zone do (Although I hate The Simpson’s ride but it has potential to be so much better)

Add Spongebob too for great potential and Hanna Barbera and Nickelodeon for previous rides.

Can’t the same argument be made for HTTYD at Epic Universe then? It’ll be at least 4 years old by the time it opens. Film is longer lasting then TV I understand that, but I still think there’s an argument to be made for an attraction based on the show. It’s one of the biggest and most popular streamed shows ever and changed the streaming industry completely.

Very true.

Reactions: therock
Movies have a unique longevity because of how easily they can be transfered from generation to generation. Think of the animated movies for Robin Hood, Jungle Book, 101 Dalmatians, etc. You know them, right? They're older movies, that it only takes two hours to familiarize yourself with. They're not even really "classics" compared to other Disney films of that generation. But, because the time investment is minimal and they're accessible to kids, it's easy for them to transcend. And they do. That's extends beyond animated films. Ghostbusters, Jaws, Star Wars even ET continue their relevance because it only takes two hours to figure out if you like it in its entirety.

Now, what was the number 1 TV show of 1961 (the year 101 Dalmatians)? Or '67 or '73?

They were "Wagon Train" ('61), "Andy Griffith" ('67), and "All in the Family ('73). The only reason two of those shows remained "relevant" is because of syndication. But while the animated movies linger, the TV shows putter out into obscurity. A big reason for that is because it takes a much bigger time investment.

What was the top rated TV show five years ago (not football)? It was a tie between Big Bang Theory and NCIS. The top new show? Empire. Are any of those shows something most people would go out of their way to watch now? Top three movies in the US?

American Sniper, Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1, & Guardians of the Galaxy. I watched two of those last weekend.

Movies have a unique longevity because of how easily they can be transfered from generation to generation. Think of the animated movies for Robin Hood, Jungle Book, 101 Dalmatians, etc. You know them, right? They're older movies, that it only takes two hours to familiarize yourself with. They're not even really "classics" compared to other Disney films of that generation. But, because the time investment is minimal and they're accessible to kids, it's easy for them to transcend. And they do. That's extends beyond animated films. Ghostbusters, Jaws, Star Wars even ET continue their relevance because it only takes two hours to figure out if you like it in its entirety.

Now, what was the number 1 TV show of 1961 (the year 101 Dalmatians)? Or '67 or '73?

They were "Wagon Train" ('61), "Andy Griffith" ('67), and "All in the Family ('73). The only reason two of those shows remained "relevant" is because of syndication. But while the animated movies linger, the TV shows putter out into obscurity. A big reason for that is because it takes a much bigger time investment.

What was the top rated TV show five years ago (not football)? It was a tie between Big Bang Theory and NCIS. The top new show? Empire. Are any of those shows something most people would go out of their way to watch now? Top three movies in the US?

American Sniper, Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1, & Guardians of the Galaxy. I watched two of those last weekend.

And the Office and Breaking Bad both ended six years ago. The Wire ended eleven years ago and people still reference it.

I feel like Netflix has completely changed the game on TV longevity for a couple of reasons. You don't have to wait for scheduled reruns or syndication to catch up on the complete run of a show, for a start. I binged Stranger Things, up to Season 3, in maybe two or three days on summer vacation. It's so much easier than hunting DVDs of each season and watching them sequentially; I can just go online and watch them back to back.

The other reason why I think TV has more longevity now is budget and talent. The gulf between today's top TV shows and today's top movies is probably much narrower than it was in 1961. Have you seen the original Charlie's Angels? It sucks. But compare that to something like Stranger Things and the early seasons of House of Cards, or even modern network shows like Hannibal and Bates Motel. The quality is just so much higher.

And besides, even if we want to talk really old shows, animated shows like Batman: The Animated Series and Scooby Doo have incredible levels of longevity, which I think partly has to do with the fact that animation always looks good, while special effects can become outdated.

Sure, time commitment is always going to hamper enthusiasm for new viewers, but in this day and age, it's become so much easier to catch up on all of it, and the increased production values make the experience much more pleasant. I think Stranger Things is gonna last, and it makes sense to make a ride out of it (even if I'm not a fan of the idea of replacing ET)

This is true but i think a stranger things ride would be much better received than Jimmy Fallon.

Im sure the tonight show is an iconic show going back decades,
But the jimmy fallon version, im not sure that many people like it.

Theres no way to know for sure but i think more people like stranger things than the fallon show in general.

Stranger things has captured the hearts of a lot of fans and the story is pretty epic for a ride, much more epic than fallon.
Im just thinking that stranger things at the park could have a life of its own way past the ending of the show.

I just feel streaming increases these shows longevity as it’s an entire different market and era in tv frankly than even 5 years ago. I agree however about the time it takes to get connected to a film rather than show.

Reactions: Lucky Planet
And the Office and Breaking Bad both ended six years ago. The Wire ended eleven years ago and people still reference it.

I feel like Netflix has completely changed the game on TV longevity for a couple of reasons. You don't have to wait for scheduled reruns or syndication to catch up on the complete run of a show, for a start. I binged Stranger Things, up to Season 3, in maybe two or three days on summer vacation. It's so much easier than hunting DVDs of each season and watching them sequentially; I can just go online and watch them back to back.

The other reason why I think TV has more longevity now is budget and talent. The gulf between today's top TV shows and today's top movies is probably much narrower than it was in 1961. Have you seen the original Charlie's Angels? It sucks. But compare that to something like Stranger Things and the early seasons of House of Cards, or even modern network shows like Hannibal and Bates Motel. The quality is just so much higher.

And besides, even if we want to talk really old shows, animated shows like Batman: The Animated Series and Scooby Doo have incredible levels of longevity, which I think partly has to do with the fact that animation always looks good, while special effects can become outdated.

Sure, time commitment is always going to hamper enthusiasm for new viewers, but in this day and age, it's become so much easier to catch up on all of it, and the increased production values make the experience much more pleasant. I think Stranger Things is gonna last, and it makes sense to make a ride out of it (even if I'm not a fan of the idea of replacing ET)
People still whistle the Andy Griffith theme song and reference the Waltons (any "Goodnight" string). That doesn't make them relevant.

Let's consider LOST. It was a cultural phenomenon. The first "modern" cross-generational hit of a TV show. Or Seinfeld. Or, sure, even The Wire. They're available on streaming. They're not relevant anymore though. TV shows, unless they're uniquely ubiquitous with new episodes across generations (like Simpsons, SNL, Tonight Show, Sesame Street, etc), fade into the past the moment they're over.

Batman: TAS aged well. It doesn't have longevity. There's a difference. It's fondly remembered by a narrow Millenial generation, but it's hardly been seen or referenced beyond that group. Scooby-Doo's longevity exists because it is constantly being reintroduced. It's had 14 different series since its premier in 1969 (with another this year) and 33 animated movies (34 comes out next year).
This is true but i think a stranger things ride would be much better received than Jimmy Fallon.

Im sure the tonight show is an iconic show going back decades,
But the jimmy fallon version, im not sure that many people like it.

Theres no way to know for sure but i think more people like stranger things than the fallon show in general.

Stranger things has captured the hearts of a lot of fans and the story is pretty epic for a ride, much more epic than fallon.
Im just thinking that stranger things at the park could have a life of its own way past the ending of the show.
The late night shows have always had limited appeal, because of their time slot. And sure, more people like Stranger Things than Fallon. More people also like American Ninja Warrior and Chicago Fire than Fallon.

Point being, with few exceptions, TV shows have an unbelievably limited shelf-life. Stranger Things won’t be an exception.

People still whistle the Andy Griffith theme song and reference the Waltons (any "Goodnight" string). That doesn't make them relevant.

Let's consider LOST. It was a cultural phenomenon. The first "modern" cross-generational hit of a TV show. Or Seinfeld. Or, sure, even The Wire. They're available on streaming. They're not relevant anymore though. TV shows, unless they're uniquely ubiquitous with new episodes across generations (like Simpsons, SNL, Tonight Show, Sesame Street, etc), fade into the past the moment they're over.

Batman: TAS aged well. It doesn't have longevity. There's a difference. It's fondly remembered by a narrow Millenial generation, but it's hardly been seen or referenced beyond that group. Scooby-Doo's longevity exists because it is constantly being reintroduced. It's had 14 different series since its premier in 1969 (with another this year) and 33 animated movies (34 comes out next year).
The late night shows have always had limited appeal, because of their time slot. And sure, more people like Stranger Things than Fallon. More people also like American Ninja Warrior and Chicago Fire than Fallon.

Point being, with few exceptions, TV shows have an unbelievably limited shelf-life. Stranger Things won’t be an exception.

I mean, all I can really say to that is that that hasn't been my experience, being in college right now, especially wrt shows like Batman: TAS and the Wire. I meet people who've discovered the shows on Prime, who tell me to see it because it's so good. People reference it, they talk about the characters, etc. Hell, maybe we're all just weird, I don't know. Though I guess point taken, I've never heard of Andy Griffith before.

Ah yes, because the last attraction Universal made based on a popular tv show that once had a presence at Horror Nights that everyone thought would have staying power turned out great and is still relevant... oh wait.
Television just doesn’t have the same staying power as movies. There is a reason that every attraction based on a TV show either becomes quickly outdated (Idol) or never gets out of development quick enough (P&F in the Magic Eye).
The Walking Dead is still on TV though whereas Stranger Things only has one or MAYBE two more seasons left in it.

Now of course TWD attraction is complete trash.

The Walking Dead is still on TV though whereas Stranger Things only has one or MAYBE two more seasons left in it.

Now of course TWD attraction is complete trash.
That said, the Walking Dead by no means still carries the cultural relevance it once did.

I'd chuck up the deuces to ET immediately for that Stranger Things idea. The only problem for me is that the ride system doesn't do enough to fit the attraction in my eyes and really needs updating/replacement.

Certainly wouldn't help the idea that there's not a whole lot for kids at Uni, but I'm not sure they really care all that much about that with their reputation being what it is.

MagicFeather post: 804098 said:
That said, the Walking Dead by no means still carries the cultural relevance it once did.

Everyone gets zombies though. ST would be a lot more confusing if you haven't seen the show unfortunately.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lucky Planet
I think Stranger Things will have better staying power than most of the shows mentioned. It changed the streaming industry and television industry really, people aren’t just going to forget that in 5 years. Or 15 even. I think ST longevity is way more than people are making it out to be