EPCOT Center-Why the fuss? | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

EPCOT Center-Why the fuss?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Did/do you hate the name change?

• Yes

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • No

Votes: 14 20.9%
  • Wasn't alive at the time, it's always been Epcot for me

Votes: 38 56.7%

• Total voters
I prefer the "EPCOT Center" moniker over just "Epcot", but that's just me. I usually find myself still calling it EPCOT Center anyway. And I agree with Adorkibul, the retro merchandise is really cool!

Wow. I never knew the whole EPCOT Center thing. It was before my time. I think it would be good to change it back to it's original name. I won't make a fuss over it, but with WDW changing so much, I kinda wish everyone would remember the past. Everyone is always thinking about the future. We should preserve what Walt left for us. This was his dream you know. I just don't want the parks to drift away from that. You know what I mean?

Wow. I never knew the whole EPCOT Center thing. It was before my time. I think it would be good to change it back to it's original name. I won't make a fuss over it, but with WDW changing so much, I kinda wish everyone would remember the past. Everyone is always thinking about the future. We should preserve what Walt left for us. This was his dream you know. I just don't want the parks to drift away from that. You know what I mean?

Anyone that actually knows about Walt Disney's vision for his parks will point out that in his own words, he said the parks will never be finished. They will always be changing and evolving with the times to stay fresh and cutting edge. The idea of turning one of his parks into a sort of museum that you never touch or alter because it was "Walt's idea" is absurd and nothing short of an insult to what Walt's vision *actually* was.

Anyone that actually knows about Walt Disney's vision for his parks will point out that in his own words, he said the parks will never be finished. They will always be changing and evolving with the times to stay fresh and cutting edge. The idea of turning one of his parks into a sort of museum that you never touch or alter because it was "Walt's idea" is absurd and nothing short of an insult to what Walt's vision *actually* was.

It's not change that we don't like; it's the fact that every single attraction has been replaced by something inferior. Plus you have to factor in that part of Disney's success is based on nostalgia. Many children of the 80s feel the same way about EPCOT Center as baby boomers feel about Disneyland, yet we don't get to enjoy classic attractions like (unraped) Spaceship Earth or Journey into Imagination anymore, or experience them with our children.

It's not change that we don't like; it's the fact that every single attraction has been replaced by something inferior. Plus you have to factor in that part of Disney's success is based on nostalgia. Many children of the 80s feel the same way about EPCOT Center as baby boomers feel about Disneyland, yet we don't get to enjoy classic attractions like (unraped) Spaceship Earth or Journey into Imagination anymore, or experience them with our children.

No one would ever dispute Journey Into Imagination or Spaceship Earth - but to say nothing should change because it was "Walt's Vision" - especially when "Walt's Vision" really had nothing to do with Future World at all is an absurd, closed-minded statement to make. You know - I'm gonna coin a new phrase right now. Everyone knows what it is to play the race card to justify absurd disputes... I dare say certain Disney fans play the Walt card just a bit too often these days...

Besides, if you REALLY want to play the Walt card, then start talking about California Adventure, NOT Epcot. A 150' ferris wheel? :bang::bang:

No one would ever dispute Journey Into Imagination or Spaceship Earth - but to say nothing should change because it was "Walt's Vision" - especially when "Walt's Vision" really had nothing to do with Future World at all is an absurd, closed-minded statement to make. You know - I'm gonna coin a new phrase right now. Everyone knows what it is to play the race card to justify absurd disputes... I dare say certain Disney fans play the Walt card just a bit too often these days...

Besides, if you REALLY want to play the Walt card, then start talking about California Adventure, NOT Epcot. A 150' ferris wheel? :bang::bang:

Yeah, I'll agree that playing the Walt card when referring to Epcot is stupid since the park is nothing like his plans. I believe the big reason Florida Disney fans cling to Epcot is because it was once the crown jewel of the entire property. Since we also have the 2nd worst Magic Kingdom and two half-day parks, one of which has basically been cloned in bits and pieces elsewhere, Epcot Center is really the only original and superior thing that we can point to that was once ours, and it's now a shell of its former glory.

---------- Post added at 01:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:09 AM ----------

Oh, and the Old Mill at DLP, though it never operates, is an even bigger violator of Walt's hatred for ferris wheels since it is actually in Disneyland proper. At least the rest of the park is good enough to compensate.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'll agree that playing the Walt card when referring to Epcot is stupid since the park is nothing like his plans. I believe the big reason Florida Disney fans cling to Epcot is because it was once the crown jewel of the entire property. Since we also have the 2nd worst Magic Kingdom and two half-day parks, one of which has basically been cloned in bits and pieces elsewhere, Epcot Center is really the only original and superior thing that we can point to that was once ours, and it's now a shell of its former glory.

---------- Post added at 01:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:09 AM ----------

Oh, and the Old Mill at DLP, though it never operates, is an even bigger violator of Walt's hatred for ferris wheels since it is actually in Disneyland proper. At least the rest of the park is good enough to compensate.

I actually like the Studio Park more than Epcot, but it's definitely a half day park at best. I'd like it more without the hat. Just sayin'.

I'd tend to agree with the second worst Magic Kigndom sentiment. I disliked Tokyo Disneyland considerabley more because it was just a total clusterf*ck with no definable boundries of where one land ended and the next began, but if you look at the ATTRACTIONS in it, they were pretty much all better versions of what WDW has. Don't even get me started on how great Pooh's Hunny Hunt is!

I disagree with the Old Mill. It's so well themed that it doesn't stand out at all. It feels natural there, and most importantly, it's NOT TALL, and only faces into the park. Walt's own quote on the topic of a ferris wheel was that he'd never want one in Disneyland, because being as tall as they are, they throw off the scale and allow guests a view into undesirable backstage areas. The Old Mill does not violate that, and thus I have no problem with it.

On the other hand, the 150' Mickey's Fun Wheel, which stands 3 feet taller than Matterhorn Bobsleds- the attraction to which by Walt's own choice would be the sturcture everything else was built in scale to, is nothing shy of offensive.

I actually like the Studio Park more than Epcot, but it's definitely a half day park at best. I'd like it more without the hat. Just sayin'.

I'd tend to agree with the second worst Magic Kigndom sentiment. I disliked Tokyo Disneyland considerabley more because it was just a total clusterf*ck with no definable boundries of where one land ended and the next began, but if you look at the ATTRACTIONS in it, they were pretty much all better versions of what WDW has. Don't even get me started on how great Pooh's Hunny Hunt is!

I disagree with the Old Mill. It's so well themed that it doesn't stand out at all. It feels natural there, and most importantly, it's NOT TALL, and only faces into the park. Walt's own quote on the topic of a ferris wheel was that he'd never want one in Disneyland, because being as tall as they are, they throw off the scale and allow guests a view into undesirable backstage areas. The Old Mill does not violate that, and thus I have no problem with it.

On the other hand, the 150' Mickey's Fun Wheel, which stands 3 feet taller than Matterhorn Bobsleds- the attraction to which by Walt's own choice would be the sturcture everything else was built in scale to, is nothing shy of offensive.

I've always thought that about TDL. Everyone blindly praises it, but it definitely has its faults. That said, they did take the superior versions of the attractions from MK and DL as you stated.

As for your Old Mill comments, I guess you're right about that as well. I will add that Mickey's Fun Wheel is essentially Mickey Mouse: The Ride, which makes it even worse than if it were a normal ferris wheel IMO. The Pedophile Sun Wheel was so much better. :thumbs:

Not that I know what a pedophile looks like or anything.:look:

In case you don't know what I'm referring to, the copper tone ad on the bridge into Paradise Pier had the sun wheel's face staring at the little girl with a very creepy expression.

Not that I know what a pedophile looks like or anything.:look:

In case you don't know what I'm referring to, the copper tone ad on the bridge into Paradise Pier had the sun wheel's face staring at the little girl with a very creepy expression.

Yeah, but her buttcrack got photoshopped pretty quick out of the graphic after the park opened.

And I've seen World Cast News!

I'm not saying that we should leave everything untouched. I'm saying that instead of turning every ride commercial, have more rides like soarin, where you don't see a character everywhere you turn. Of course the rides have to change and innovate, and i know walt wanted that, but I don't see why we have to get rid of stuff because its old.