Epic Universe Expansion Speculation | Page 7 | Inside Universal Forums

Epic Universe Expansion Speculation

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Super Mario Galaxy should TRULY go into the spot where the proposed flex space is next to Nintendo. It could have entry from Celestial Gardens and spit you into Super Nintendo Land. Make it a clone of USJ’s Space Fantasy with even better theming along the ride path. Maybe modify the ride system, make it a children’s hanging coaster?

Considering the concept that part of the conceit of the park is “Wow, look at how many castles we have”, I’d definitely consider LotR, Oz, Zelda, D&D, or some other high-fantasy that is visually distinct from the Vikings.

Reactions: bdubsCEO
I'd like to see what this looks like overlayed on the current construction progress, is there really nothing in the extra land expansion pad right now?
This is a photo from last week to show all most of the expansion pads. They’re currently be used for construction staging.

There's a decent amount of chatter about a new land being a 'catch all' that would incorporate several IPs in one land.

Given the lengths and work Universal has put in to making each of the original four lands their own separate, unified IP areas, how realistic is it to think that an entirely new land wouldn't also be served as a singular IP adaptation? I personally can't picture them creating these extensive IP lands and turning around to create... "Fantasy Universe" featuring Lord of the Rings, Dune and etc. al.

Given the lengths and work Universal has put in to making each of the original four lands their own separate, unified IP areas, how realistic is it to think that an entirely new land wouldn't also be served as a singular IP adaptation?

Very realistic as Dark universe, The Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Ministry of Magic and SNW are not composed of one singular IP. SNW features nintendo properties (yoshi, donkey kong and mario kart), MOM is composed of the potter series and fantastic beast (2 separate IPs) and Dark Universe features monster movie where Universal has been the production company of. So, really only Berk is the one singular IP land.

I am also kinda on the fence about a Sci-fi based land as celestial park is kinda space/science based with the astrology aspect and whimsical nature so it would kinda feel like more of the same. Any new portal will have to have a strong , out of this world feeling like all the other lands. I personally feel if they did use Oz/wicked they could create a visual masterpiece of a land to rival the other 4. Since Illumination and Dreamworks are out, I cannot think of another franchise/brand that has multiple IPs under it's umbrella that would be suitable to use as a portal.

Reactions: Nico
Very realistic as Dark universe, The Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Ministry of Magic and SNW are not composed of one singular IP. SNW features nintendo properties (yoshi, donkey kong and mario kart), MOM is composed of the potter series and fantastic beast (2 separate IPs) and Dark Universe features monster movie where Universal has been the production company of. So, really only Berk is the one singular IP land.

I am also kinda on the fence about a Sci-fi based land as celestial park is kinda space/science based with the astrology aspect and whimsical nature so it would kinda feel like more of the same. Any new portal will have to have a strong , out of this world feeling like all the other lands. I personally feel if they did use Oz/wicked they could create a visual masterpiece of a land to rival the other 4. Since Illumination and Dreamworks are out, I cannot think of another franchise/brand that has multiple IPs under it's umbrella that would be suitable to use as a portal.
Any expansion in this area is still a long ways off so Universal has plenty of time to think about it.

I mean, if you want to split some of the thinnest of hairs, sure. Those three lands are still 'Universal Monsters', 'Harry Potter' and 'Nintendo'. Which are all much more unifying that putting a Lord of the Rings dark ride and restaurant next to the Dune theater show and the Mad Max flat ride and calling that land something that encompasses all three.

Which isn't to say they couldn't or won't do it and certainly not that it wouldn't be great but I'm just curious if they'd even approach a new land in Epic with that much range of IP within it.

Last edited:
The thing is no one is suggesting what you are saying.

Also, potter and beast are apart of the Wizarding world. Potter doesn't even exist in the fantastic beast series. It's not an issue of splitting hairs, it's just is ‍♂️.

The thing is no one is suggesting what you are saying.

Also, potter and beast are apart of the Wizarding world. Potter doesn't even exist in the fantastic beast series. It's not an issue of splitting hairs, it's just is ‍♂️.

Multiple people have brought up the idea of a 'catch all' land for various IPs that are less related than being all Nintendo or Wizarding World. A science fiction land that has four different IPs in it that are all thematically, stylistically, even maybe tonally different sounds like a different approach than what they've taken with the first four lands.

Don't know. Maybe Universal does another catch all themed land that's not SCI-FI with IPs they own?

I'm not sure how you can think Fantastic Beasts x Harry Potter is the same as putting say a Star Wars ride next to a Farscape show next to a Star Trek restaurant (and those are just examples, I know Universal doesn't own those IPs). You could possibly argue Nintendo or Universal Monsters if you really tried but those IPs are so similar and all under a singular umbrella, IMO. UM is an in-house IP being designed from the ground up all as one and the Nintendo stuff that'll find its way into the park is all very similar in style and tone and aesthetic.

Again, no one explicitly suggested what you are saying is being said. No one explicitly stated what IPs to put in said land be it Sci fi or any other theme. And even if they did so what! This is a speculation thread a place to guess, speculate and share ideas. No post are right or wrong and no suggestion should be given this much thought/attention.

Last edited:
If the term 'catch all' isn't being used to imply more than one or two varying IPs, I'm not sure what it could mean, in all honesty.

Nowhere did I say anyone was right or wrong. I even made a post with a preface saying I have no clue, I'm just speculating on the future based on what these original four lands are like.

I think it's quite fun thinking about what an entirely new fifth 'land' in Epic could be like. If it is going to envelop a singular IP or IP umbrella such as the first four, what IP could that be? Could Lord of the Rings support an entire land or not? Or if it is going to be a 'catch all' what IPs could realistically fit together? Or could they possibly figure out a way to divert past that entirely?

The way Epic was designed even compared to Islands of Adventure is vastly different, IMO and I think it can be easy to understate that and undersell this project.

If the term 'catch all' isn't being used to imply more than one or two varying IPs, I'm not sure what it could mean, in all honesty.

Nowhere did I say anyone was right or wrong. I even made a post with a preface saying I have no clue, I'm just speculating on the future based on what these original four lands are like.

I think it's quite fun thinking about what an entirely new fifth 'land' in Epic could be like. If it is going to envelop a singular IP or IP umbrella such as the first four, what IP could that be? Could Lord of the Rings support an entire land or not? Or if it is going to be a 'catch all' what IPs could realistically fit together? Or could they possibly figure out a way to divert past that entirely?

The way Epic was designed even compared to Islands of Adventure is vastly different, IMO and I think it can be easy to understate that and undersell this project.
For a while I have been hoping that if Shrek 5 does well, Shrek gets some sort of expanded presence at UOR beyond the play area in the DW area at USF. If they do multiple lands with the 20 acres, Maybe Shrek can get a land within that.

I wouldn't be surprised if lord of the rings wasn't reserved to be the primary IP in a 4th park down the line. I am not sure there is an IP bigger without a ride. In the case of a 4th park universal prob needs star trek rights as well or something of that tier to support said 4th park though. Maybe it would be Pokémon.

I think they are going to use a lot of Nintendo rights but I wonder if they will need to also buy rights from maybe Sony long term as well.

Reactions: Andysol
I wouldn't be surprised if lord of the rings wasn't reserved to be the primary IP in a 4th park down the line. I am not sure there is an IP bigger without a ride. In the case of a 4th park universal prob needs star trek rights as well or something of that tiers to support said 4th park though.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there space carved out near EU that could be large enough for a 4th gate?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there space carved out near EU that could be large enough for a 4th gate?
Epic universe is absolutely being designed on the assumption there will eventually be a 4th park.

I would bet on a lot more hotels, DVC competition, Disney springs competition, before that 4th park tho.

Reactions: Andysol
Epic universe is absolutely being designed on the assumption there will eventually be a 4th park.

I would bet on a lot more hotels, DVC competition, Disney springs competition, before that 4th park tho.
IF that's the case we will probably see that 4th park around the mid to late 2040's-early 2050's.

I wouldn't be surprised if lord of the rings wasn't reserved to be the primary IP in a 4th park down the line. I am not sure there is an IP bigger without a ride. In the case of a 4th park universal prob needs star trek rights as well or something of that tier to support said 4th park though. Maybe it would be Pokémon.

I think they are going to use a lot of Nintendo rights but I wonder if they will need to also buy rights from maybe Sony long term as well.
I agree with this.
It could absolutely anchor the new park.

That said, it’s vast enough that it could easily get the HP and (to a lesser extend Nintendo because different IPs) treatment with attractions amongst multiple parks.

They could make a The Shire at Epic and Rivendell at 4th gate, for example.

But yes. It’s easily the biggest theme park-centric IP without a ride or land. Pokémon, Star Trek and Oz are contenders but certainly not even close to that level.
And I’m a huge proponent of Oz getting a land.

The Wizard of OZ is getting its own land at WB movie world in Australia. The land there will contain two coasters. Now imagine what Universal could do with a OZ land on a much higher budget than WB Movie World.
I feel we’ll see what they can do with Oz at Universal Studios Great Britain.

I wonder if Universal is waiting on the Live Action Zelda movie to make a decision on a Zelda section for Epic Universe. I know it's up to debate if it'll go in Islands or Epic. But good gosh I hope Epic. That's one of the most popular video games and it deserves a sizeable land, for Hyrule Castle town, and maybe the Great Deku tree, or Death Mountain. (Or both because I'm greedy.)
In a perfect world, Dark Universe and Super Nintendo World would be next to each other so a Luigi's Mansion could be put in between for a seamless flow.

Reactions: Disneyson1