Epic Universe Expansion Speculation | Page 12 | Inside Universal Forums

Epic Universe Expansion Speculation

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I don't think Zelda at IOA, Luigi's at Epic, and Pokemon at Studios is necessarily a done deal (some of that will be built we have seen patents for Zelda and Pokemon is being developed for Japan). They might throw a curveball at us.
I agree there with you saying that trifecta wont happen. As perfect as it sounds, I do hope they really look into these expansions deeply and not just for the sake of adding . I would like to see a japan area added to the studios with an underlay of Pokémon. . .

Reactions: Nico
Mario Kart got slowed down because 1) Nintendo wanted it to be more accessible to families and 2) Universal had an extremely hard time getting the AR element to work at higher speeds (motion sickness became very severe).

The reasons behind that decision made perfect sense.
Great post. That basically sums up the whys of the attraction....We really need to keep that in mind when commenting.

But maybe a D/E ticket attraction in the back of Dreamworks if it's really successful. ...Probably just 'dreaming' though. :lmao:
A Shrek dark ride as a phase 2 for DreamWorks would be awesome. If they are aren't being super strict about where they place things I would say do a E ticket large scale dark ride at the back of the land that extends out into the backstage areas. If not, I guess they could plop a D ticket Midway Mania like ride in the Spot of AA as a phase 2 assuming that spot doesn't get swallowed up by Pokemon.

Reactions: Mad Dog
Splatoon could absolutely work as a themed land, but unlike some of Nintendo's other properties, I don't think it has enough of a following in the United States to warrant its inclusion (USJ may be a different story). A water ride probably wouldn't be the best fit for it due to its urban/big city setting, as well as the fact that the Inklings have a deadly reaction to touching water.

Yeah I don't think Splatoon has the brand recognition in the US needed to make sense for the parks. If you look at what lands have been added or rumored to be in the works, every single one of them I think has that strong domestic brand recognition: Super Mario, Donkey Kong, The Legend of Zelda, Pokémon, and Luigi's Mansion

Mario and Pokémon are of course gigantic hit brands that sell games like crazy all around the world. But DK, Zelda, and LM? Those series all developed a reputation I think through Nintendo's decades of game making that they were much more popular in the American market through game sales compared to Nintendo's home turf of Japan. Franchises like Splatoon are notable for being the opposite of that; very strong in Japan but not so much in the US.

I'm totally speculating here, but I think this could go back to market research among the American general public playing a significant role in shaping the parks, and may partly explain which of Nintendo's IP have gotten on Universal's radar. In that way it would help explain why a new shooting ride planned for Epic is rumored to be built with an IP like Luigi's Mansion in mind rather than something like Splatoon.

Im gonna do some "wishlisting" here as I know this is more fantasy and not a speculation and wont ever happen.

I wish there was a way to have incorporate a boutique hotel on the left side of the WW Paris.

That area is close to the access area for Helios so it wouldn't be much to get to and from it. I could see the room tower being in the shape of square with a courtyard in the middle (like on the right side). Something reminiscent of Hotel Matamba. . .

349282257.jpg

DSCN5184.JPG

BlackMamba_Phantasialand1.jpg

It could have a park entry/exit gate right outside the portal and also have Paris view rooms to be able to have a view inside the WW.

I know it will never happen but still. . .I can dream right?

Reactions: HHN Maddux
Im gonna do some "wishlisting" here as I know this is more fantasy and not a speculation and wont ever happen.

I wish there was a way to have incorporate a boutique hotel on the left side of the WW Paris.

That area is close to the access area for Helios so it wouldn't be much to get to and from it. I could see the room tower being in the shape of square with a courtyard in the middle (like on the right side). Something reminiscent of Hotel Matamba. . .

349282257.jpg

DSCN5184.JPG

BlackMamba_Phantasialand1.jpg

It could have a park entry/exit gate right outside the portal and also have Paris view rooms to be able to have a view inside the WW.

I know it will never happen but still. . .I can dream right?

I beleive one of the earliest, blue sky concepts/rumors included a hotel in every single land. Obviously is not the route they went, but I do love this idea especially for Paris.

I would imagine Universal would sell something like a Nook Passbook that you would connect to the app, where you are able to collect things and using a combination of projection mapping and next gen design and act as a record for your time with the characters...lets say you design a shirt for a character and you open your nook passbook, you are able to give it to the character and the design you created would show up as if they put on the gift following by a response using screens/AI or even AR technology. (Mind you, i know the dangerous implications of people being massively inappropriate with designs but I'm sure they can have a person filtering). Or you give trash as a present to a character, now the data would be recorded and then the character would remember that (similar to what Disney was trying to do with Batuu but failed).
I'm not sure how it would actually work but considering there's already facial recognition baked into the park: it would be cool to see your avatar or a character you select show up in public spaces where you'd find other people's characters interacting with each other or playing group games. Not sure if it'd ever turn into something doable in a theme park setting.

I do wonder if we'll see the facial recognition used actively in future rides? Imagine something ET saying your name but you never used the boarding pass, it just recognized you on sight. Which also sounds really creepy now that I write it out.

I love Splatoon but truthfully I would argue if Universal adds another waterpark thats a theme park, Splatoon actually is a great option.
I was going to suggest laser tag but I like this idea too. If VB wasn't entirely unique I wouldn't have minded seeing it fill the expansion plot.

I beleive one of the earliest, blue sky concepts/rumors included a hotel in every single land. Obviously is not the route they went, but I do love this idea especially for Paris.
I wonder if one of the issues was parking (a lot of space used up) and on top of usual hotel logistics? Very cool idea but I can see some reasons why they didn't go with it.

Otherwise we could've finally gotten that Nintendo hotel!