Epic Universe Preview Center | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Epic Universe Preview Center

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
We can compare it to the summer tribute store if that makes you feel any better.
Honestly they are not the same thing I think it’s only right they utilize modern technology like AR to showcase their vision of the park.

That wasn’t available in the 90s so physical sets were used to fulfill the same function way back then.

Here’s the thing: Not only is this a different time than the IOA Preview Center, but the Epic Preview Center has two goals and that’s really it:

Raise awareness that the park exists for vacationers the rest of this year and then bouncing off that, try and get people to book vacations to come back to go to epic, stay at Helios potentially, etc.

The average vacationer mostly doesn’t know Epic is opening next year still so that’s something Universal is looking to change here.

On one hand this is really cool, on the other the IOA center is streets ahead of this
I'm glad I wasn't the first person to say this.

The model looks great. The rest...? It's a store. The IOA version was an experience in itself.

Can’t we judge this without always referencing the IOA center?

I just looked at a video of it and definitely screamed the 90s. It’s one thing to be nostalgic but can’t have anything new without the constant comparisons.
The IOA Preview Center is the last time Universal had such a thing, so of course it's fair to compare.

Honestly they are not the same thing I think it’s only right they utilize modern technology like AR to showcase their vision of the park.

That wasn’t available in the 90s so physical sets were used to fulfill the same function way back then.
If the end goal is the same, something physically in front of me will always be preferable to something I have to look at my phone for.

It makes me feel much older than 37 when intricate displays that had to actually be built, crafted, engineered by people are seen as somehow old-fashioned and outdated.

Here’s the thing: Not only is this a different time than the IOA Preview Center, but the Epic Preview Center has two goals and that’s really it:

Raise awareness that the park exists for vacationers the rest of this year and then bouncing off that, try and get people to book vacations to come back to go to epic, stay at Helios potentially, etc.

The average vacationer mostly doesn’t know Epic is opening next year still so that’s something Universal is looking to change here.
I agree with this to an extent, but having a separate app you have to download to get the full experience and a model being the main centerpiece in the room just feels a little thrown together. The portals are also pretty barebones. Ironically the combination of these makes it feel dated *from the pictures*

Maybe the AR app saves it, I won't be there until HHN to see it so I can't judge 100% but I'm just underwhelmed from the images online. Putting on my GP hat I'm probably not going to download a new app just for one store, and if that becomes the selling point to make me super excited for a new park then ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I agree with this to an extent, but having a separate app you have to download to get the full experience and a model being the main centerpiece in the room just feels a little thrown together. The portals are also pretty barebones. Ironically the combination of these makes it feel dated *from the pictures*

Maybe the AR app saves it, I won't be there until HHN to see it so I can't judge 100% but I'm just underwhelmed from the images online. Putting on my GP hat I'm probably not going to download a new app just for one store, and if that becomes the selling point to make me super excited for a new park then ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'd argue it's because you're already up to date on the info, and have a good idea on what's coming where you don't need the app. You are on the forums, after all.

I'd argue it's because you're already up to date on the info, and have a good idea on what's coming where you don't need the app. You are on the forums, after all.
I think the IOA Preview Center would have still been really impressive to all of us if the forums existed at the time and we all knew what was coming to the park.

The displays were really cool! They were unique interpretations of the elements that were going into the park, done in a style that only ever materialized in that Preview Center.

I think the IOA Preview Center would have still been really impressive to all of us if the forums existed at the time and we all knew what was coming to the park.

The displays were really cool! They were unique interpretations of the elements that were going into the park, done in a style that only ever materialized in that Preview Center.

I meant as far as needing to be provided info. You're not the target demo here as you all are glued in.

As far as the contents - we're comparing something over 25 years ago, and in a smaller space. I don't even think there was a proper website for Universal until 2000? Just remember - If you wanted to go online, you had to make sure someone wasn't on the phone. Like it or not, we live in the times of social media. As I stated earlier, everyone can carry a world of info in their pockets. If that model isn't enough for ya... I don't know what to tell you.

UPDATE:

Last edited:
As the GP have proved time & time again, just because they carry the world in their hand with info (usually available, not always), doesn't mean they'll acquire it.

The physical format is still a valuable experience. Besides us theme park nerds wanting to have it for reference years later, regular park guests still ask/want a physical park map rather than using their phone.

The IOA Preview Center was better, but it was also a bigger multi-room space. This just looks cold & corporate. The merch being available feels like an afterthought since the park model takes up so much space.

Like it or not, we live in the times of social media. As I stated earlier, everyone can carry a world of info in their pockets. If that model isn't enough for ya... I don't know what to tell you.
421e2c0f-6e9e-4620-8cf4-23dbd9f63e44_text.gif

I just think the last time they had one of these, it was more impressive (acknowledging the limitations of the space chosen) because it used techniques that mean more to me than graphics on my phone.

But at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter whether or not I think what they did is "enough" for me. It is what it is. I won't be visiting the resort until Epic is open anyway, so it's not like I'd be able to rush into the Preview Center if I thought it looked incredible, either. I'd be relegated to looking at photos online, just like I am with this iteration.

Should've given Hollywood an Epic Universe preview center since a lot of Cali tourists don't know Orlando parks exist (to an extent of course)

It's not like Hollywood has anything major to preview outside of Hollywood Drift, but we don't even have (new) concept art *sigh*

I'm glad I wasn't the first person to say this.

The model looks great. The rest...? It's a store. The IOA version was an experience in itself.

The IOA Preview Center is the last time Universal had such a thing, so of course it's fair to compare.

If the end goal is the same, something physically in front of me will always be preferable to something I have to look at my phone for.

It makes me feel much older than 37 when intricate displays that had to actually be built, crafted, engineered by people are seen as somehow old-fashioned and outdated.
Nothing wrong with physical sets or presentations however no matter how you put it was very much of its time period.

I don’t what else to tell you considering this has a very large model you can see very intricate details with.

Anyways you have your opinion and I have mine and glad to see this up and running.

Interesting that the "medallion" on Helios has been moved between the model and the actual building.