Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Escape from Tomorrow

This film will be released to select theaters on October 11th. Also will be available through VoD.

Looks like you'll get to see it afterall, DH. :thumbs:

Last edited:
I recall reading somewhere that Disney is going to be ignoring this whole thing, their logic being that if they try to take legal action, it will give the movie even more attention and publicity.

Disney as a company may ignore it.
But couldn't cast members in the film sue for compensation.
Plus Disney maybe could get the costumed cast members a SAG card .(maybe even film a never to be released movie themselves)
Then any film released that has costumed characters in it would have to pay scale to the cast members .

Disney as a company may ignore it.
But couldn't cast members in the film sue for compensation.
Plus Disney maybe could get the costumed cast members a SAG card .(maybe even film a never to be released movie themselves)
Then any film released that has costumed characters in it would have to pay scale to the cast members .

That's a tricky thing. I don't know that Disney or CMs are owed anything. This is similar to any person going to Disney, filming or photographing something, and trying to get revenue off it, in whatever way. This would even include a YouTube video with ad revenue. I wonder if there are any policies in place regarding this... recording stuff at the park for commercial purposes :shrug:

From the LA Times . . .

Guerrilla Disney film 'Escape From Tomorrow' headed to theaters

By Steven Zeitchik
August 19, 2013, 12:12 p.m.

EXCLUSIVE: "Escape From Tomorrow," the unauthorized independent film shot guerrilla-style at Disney theme parks, is headed to movie theaters and TV sets, resolving a long-running question about the commercial status of one of the year's most provocative movies.

Randy Moore’s black-and-white Surrealist feature will be released commercially by PDA, the distribution offshoot of the sales and management company Cinetic Media, on Oct. 11, according to a PDA spokesman. It will play on movie-theater screens in many of the nation's top markets as well as be made available day-and-date on cable VOD, the spokesman said.

PDA has a history of releasing bold fare, previously bringing out the Banksy-themed art-world meditation "Exit Through the Gift Shop" in 2010 and the doc hit "Senna," about the late Brazilian Formula One driver Ayrton Senna, two summers ago. Cinetic, which previously represented the movie's distribution rights, had garnered interest from distributors but ultimately decided it would attempt to bring the movie to market via PDA.

Written and directed by first-timer Moore, the feature generated a storm of publicity when it premiered at this year’s Sundance Film Festival and also raised questions about whether any company would be willing to shoulder the risk of releasing it. The movie centers on an alienated man (Roy Abramsohn) taking a family vacation as he slowly begins to get caught up in a conspiracy -- or loses his mind. The version of the movie that will be released commercially has been re-cut and is about 15 minutes shorter than the edition that played Sundance, which some criticized as too long.

With its edgy tone, the movie is expected to appeal to a young audience and also could make one or more stops at a post-summer film festival. Though it is a narrative study of one character and contains a helping of genre elements, the film also was believed by some to be a political critique on, among other things, the forced sunniness of Disney theme parks.

Moore made the movie in a highly unorthodox way, using hidden cameras at Disney-owned parks in Anaheim and Orlando. A number of the shots luxuriate in and sometimes undermine Disney imagery -- in one scene, Epcot Center blows up -- but Moore shot it entirely without Disney permission, choosing to use a skeletal crew and often communicating with his cast from a phone across the park so as not to attract attention.

Disney has yet to respond publicly to the movie. The film has secured so-called E&O insurance, which protects distributors against liabilities, and legal experts have moreover said that Disney would have a weak case if it tried to stop it or collect damages--though the company could still decide to try to bog the release down in lawsuits, a move that no doubt would also fuel publicity for the film.

More information on the film from Fear Net

It's the movie that everyone assumed would never get distribution. Escape From Tomorrow is a surrealistic neo-noir film about a father who starts to lose his mind while on a family vacation to Disney World. Shot almost entirely on location in Disney World's Magic Kingdom and the original Disneyland park, director Randy Moore shot the film guerilla-style: his cast and crew bought season passes; scripts were carried on smart phones; and the only equipment used was consumer-grade cameras so they could blend in with other tourists. Moore even did all the post-production in South Korea, all in an attempt to keep Disney off the scent.

Escape From Tomorrow premiered at Sundance to positive reviews and extreme secrecy, but it was generally thought that the litigious Disney Corporation would bring swift and costly legal battles upon the film that was shot for around $650,000. And yet here we are, eight months later. The film will screen at Fantastic Fest, and has been picked up for distribution (a limited theatrical and VOD release is currently slated for October 11th) and it seems that Disney has opted to ignore the film's very existence. Hey, whatever means that it will be around long enough for me to check it out.

Anyway, a trailer for Escape From Tomorrow was just released, and it is unmistakably Disney - if shot by David Lynch.

- See more at: http://www.fearnet.com/news/news-ar...ws-weird-side-disneyland#sthash.XI0JCvUz.dpuf

I believe this is a newer trailer.

[video=youtube_share;qHH5EZsLpFs]http://youtu.be/qHH5EZsLpFs[/video]

Seems so weird I got to see it.

Rented the film on iTunes. Impressive movie considering it was shot guerrilla style. Some reviews claim the first hour is boring and that it doesn't become interesting until the final 30 minutes. But because I'm amused by park footage, I was entertained the entire time. Has anyone else seen it? What did you think?

LOVE the timer on their site by the way! Check it out if you haven't. As of today, they've been lawsuit-free for almost 4 weeks. http://escapefromtomorrow.com

Disney is taking the same approach to this that SeaWorld is taking to Black Fish...ignore it rather than sue, don't give it publicity, it will go away on its own.

Disney is taking the same approach to this that SeaWorld is taking to Black Fish...ignore it rather than sue, don't give it publicity, it will go away on its own.

I agree. I would imagine their lawsuit-free timer is never going to stop haha! If anything, Disney Parks may have changes in their security department. Although I must say, Disney's security was already very tough at the time of filming. They do catch people filming with the intend to distribute content for money from time to time.

For those who haven't seen this.. it's now available via Netflix.

http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/70268897

Watched this tonight. Admittedly, the whole thing was a great stunt. It was visually very interesting to see all of the so familiar places in such a surreal way. However....

Otherwise it was literally one of the worst films I've ever seen. Absolutely terrible. Script, story, pacing, all over the place. It was disturbing just because it could be, never really advancing the plot (because there really isn't one). It's not scary, it's not funny, nor interesting in any way besides its environment. Really lacking any reason for its existence besides the way it was filmed. Which, deserved a much better film for the trouble it took to shoot.

I feel like it's one of those movies you can't critique because every answer would be "but it's art". It's a very pretentious art movie that just sucks. It has just a ton of hype because they "secretly" made a movie at Disney. I didn't know taking videos at the park was illegal but whatever. Also as a theme park fan I can't stand how they teleport from Disneyland to disney world. There's one scene where they are riding Snow White (WDW version) and it just cuts to the Disneyland version then we just stay at Disneyland for a while....that was weird, the director must've known people would catch onto that. The acting was my dog playing dead standards too, so wooden. Anyways it sucked, only worth watching if you take photography at the parks and want to see some cool shots but skip it if you are expecting a actual movie. 3/10