Evil Dead Rise | Inside Universal Forums

Evil Dead Rise

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Nov 23, 2013
Seattle, WA!
It has been officially announced, that with New Line, the next Evil Dead installment will be coming to HBOMax, under the name: Evil Dead Rise.

Sam Raimi and Bruce Campbell will produce (the latter has retired his status as Ash), as the film will be written & directed by Lee Cronin. Production will begin next month, as it has been reported that Raimi has personally picked Lee to direct it from the debut film: The Hole in the Ground.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Grabnar and Tbad556
The Hole in the Ground was a fine enough film but it'll be interesting to see him go from that to the wild, over the top world of Evil Dead but he seems to be thrilled to be working on the project so I'm pumped. I would have loved to see Fede Alvarez get the chance to make a more original take on the world but alas.

I love the idea of taking the insanity into the city, we've seen the forces of the Necronomicon wreck havoc in the woods so it should be plenty of fun to see what it can do in the concrete jungle.

Ash vs. Evil Dead was awesome - hopefully this will be just as good.

Not shocking. I speculated this was a likely Max film to go theatrical in one of the other threads. With Shazam moved, Avatar: The Way of Water now has that holiday period pretty much to itself.

I'm glad to see it going theatrical (on the date that WB just recently moved SALEM'S LOT to, so I guess that's getting pushed to fall of '23?!), but why is this not coming out for the Halloween season this year?

HALLOWEEN ENDS is the only significant horror competition in theaters (and even that just undercut itself with a day-and-date Peacock release), and the whole industry has been complaining about how September and October are dead zones of theatrical content this year.

I'm glad to see it going theatrical (on the date that WB just recently moved SALEM'S LOT to, so I guess that's getting pushed to fall of '23?!), but why is this not coming out for the Halloween season this year?

HALLOWEEN ENDS is the only significant horror competition in theaters (and even that just undercut itself with a day-and-date Peacock release), and the whole industry has been complaining about how September and October are dead zones of theatrical content this year.
The industry is complaining about it because while box office is back up to okay levels, there's roughly 40-45% LESS movies in theaters this year versus 2019. The big movies are still going theatrical because they're going to make big bank, but a big chunk of the smaller films that used to fill up space between big releases have now been moved from theatrical to streaming.

The industry is complaining about it because while box office is back up to okay levels, there's roughly 40-45% LESS movies in theaters this year versus 2019. The big movies are still going theatrical because they're going to make big bank, but a big chunk of the smaller films that used to fill up space between big releases have now been moved from theatrical to streaming.

I understand that.

I don't understand why they're saving an EVIL DEAD movie for next spring when there are available slots this fall!

And the movie's finished, so it's not like they have to wait for a post-production logjam to clear.

I understand that.

I don't understand why they're saving an EVIL DEAD movie for next spring when there are available slots this fall!

And the movie's finished, so it's not like they have to wait for a post-production logjam to clear.
I think you're overestimating how many people will watch Halloween Ends on Peacock.

Halloween Kills was day & date last year and it made $92M domestic and $131.6 worldwide. That's down from the performance of 2018's Halloween ($159.3M domestic, $255.6M worldwide), but the box office was still in recovery at the time Kills released last year and it was actually in really rough shape with Halloween giving it a nice boost with a $49.4M opening.

In the end, the Halloween movies are so damn cheap to make that I think Universal just decided that it worked last year and while it's not a model that can work on every movie, with a movie that only costs $20M to make, it's a good way to trick people into subscribing to Peacock if they don't want to go to a theater and give the option, but at the end of the day, most people are going to go to a theater still.

Opening Evil Dead around this time would be suicide, not to mention that there's no way in saying for sure that it's 100% finished.

I understand that.

September is wide open but a hypothetical September release would give them only a month at most for promotion, probably less considering Smile has taken the last weekend of September already. I agree it would've been better but they would've had to make those changes months ago if they wanted to slot it in then. October up against Halloween Ends, forget it.

I mostly feel bad for Salem's Lot here. April 21 was an awful date for it (literally just one week after another high profile vampire movie) but at least it had a date, now it's back in limbo along with Last Train from New York.

Pretty sure the director tweeted that they had "locked" the movie about a month ago.

I just think if you're going to let a movie like THE BLACK PHONE play exclusively in theaters, you should do the same with a bigger franchise like HALLOWEEN.

I mostly feel bad for Salem's Lot here. April 21 was an awful date for it (literally just one week after another high profile vampire movie) but at least it had a date, now it's back in limbo along with Last Train from New York.

And the next most logical date -- the first weekend in September of 2023 -- has just been taken... by WB's own THE NUN 2.

Maybe they're thinking a summer release for SALEM'S LOT?

Pretty sure the director tweeted that they had "locked" the movie about a month ago.

I just think if you're going to let a movie like THE BLACK PHONE play exclusively in theaters, you should do the same with a bigger franchise like HALLOWEEN.

Yeah, they really should've made this change in the last few months and shoved it in mid-September.

Although a THR reporter has now suggested that WBD straight up doesn't have enough cash to cover more than three major film releases for the rest of this year, so that might be why they're shunting it to next year (also suggests that they're in much direr straits than I thought).

EDIT: Warner Bros has a ton of high profile movies opening in summer (Barbie, The Flash, The Meg 2) that they're gonna try really hard not to put against each other. Best bet imo is to date Last Train in May and then try to squeeze in Salem's Lot in mid-July, a week before Barbie and Oppenheimer. Believe it or not, there's a third major vampire movie coming out in August, which limits WB's options.

Last edited:
Reactions: belloq87
Skipping the trailer to go in as blind as can be but from what I've ever heard, stills I've seen this looks right in line with Fede Alvarez's ED, which has me even more excited! Holding out hope that they're going the extra mile with a Mia cameo.

Really, really hoping it does well and we can get one final gonzo-Evil Dead film that crosses multiverses and lets Bruce have one last go on the big screen.