Falcon's Fury | Page 34 | Inside Universal Forums

Falcon's Fury

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
One of the contractor's supervisor working on Falcon's Fury came into Wood Fired yesterday to buy his crew a pie. He claims there are 924 bolts that join the sections. bobwadd - how small of a world we live in. Wood Fired is about 2.5 miles from Busch Gardens and he couldn't believe the excitement surrounding the project. Claims it will put BG on the map and make it a must hit attraction.

001_zpse84db0b6.jpg

002_zps5182e312.jpg

037_zps41f70ed5.jpg

038_zps98aecd0c.jpg

048_zps34349392.jpg

I will post the other pics I took on Thursday/Friday, to allow Bob to upload his pics and info after his tour tomorrow, of the FF and the work on Pantopia.

Last edited:
^ Thanks OF, for the great pictures. Looks like there has been a lot of progress since I was there last time. For one reason or other SeaWorld has taken up alot of my time as of late. I planned on going to BGT last weekend but my "saint" of a wife :doh: just HAD to go see Kid Rock or she said she would die or something like that :lol:. Anyway, I'll head out that way tomorrow to check it out hopefully to get some good pictures and info.

Last edited:

FalconsFuryLogo.jpg

Busch Gardens Newest Land - Pantopia™

Welcome to Pantopia™, Busch Gardens® Tampa’s fully remodeled land, which boasts elaborately-jeweled theming and features thrilling rides and attractions, sensational new dining options, exciting entertainment, shopping, a renovated indoor theater and more.

Located in the heart of Busch Gardens, the centerpiece of Pantopia™ is Falcon’s Fury™, North America’s tallest freestanding drop tower. The one-of-a-kind ride stands at 335 feet and takes riders soaring straight down. Like its bird of prey namesake, at the ride’s highest point, riders will pivot 90 degrees in midair to a face-down dive position. An instant later they’ll plunge 60 mph straight down.

Step Inside Pantopia™

Your arrival in Pantopia™ through the Key Gate will be just as majestic as the time you spend here. In a time long forgotten, a strange and mystical Key Master dropped from the sky at this very spot. If you look carefully, you can still see the remnants of his hot air balloon. Once inside, the legendary doors of Pantopia™ tell the rich history of the travelers that have come before and who are currently residing in this land. Travelers to Pantopia™ can explore these doors and learn the history of the residents.

The excitement builds as you make your way through the Transportation Plaza, where its caretaker has created kinetic sculptures from the tuk tuks, trucks, planes, bikes and wagons other travelers have left behind. Discover Botanica nestled amongst Pantopia’s™ lush and vibrant surroundings. This oasis of intricate botanical sculptures captures the flowing patterns of animal feathers, fur and scales, representing all the elements of Busch Garden’s newest land.

Finally, make your way to The Sitting Place, a modern-day watering hole where twinkling lights and lanterns line the trees that shade garden revelers looking to rest a while. Discovered by an eccentric Italian carpenter who specialized in carving woodland animals into unique chairs and stools, The Sitting Place was once an oasis where animals and humans gathered.

The Treasures of Pantopia™

The Painted Camel Bazaar is run by a fun-loving family of merchants and offers wandering travelers all the treasures of Pantopia™. This marketplace houses a collection of colorful awnings and found objects, including apparel, souvenirs, jewelry, toys and plush items, not to mention the best in Falcon’s Fury™ merchandise. The original proprietor traveled alongside the shop’s signature monkey, creating an unforgettable image that was captured for all posterity by a nomadic sculptor who once wandered through these crossroads.

From frozen delights and exotic versions of fan favorites to a dramatic outdoor grill, dining options abound throughout Pantopia™. Explorer Frosty Krystallos crashed his plane into an old shed a few years back. Satisfied with his new home, he simply rebuilt the shed as Lynx Frozen Treats, painting it with icy blues and whites. Now he crafts delicious snow cones, smoothies and other sweet and salty treats for any hot, thirsty traveler who happens by.

Dining options heat up with the Dragon Fire Grill. Inspired by the legends of the Komodo dragon, the Dragon Fire Grill showcases ribs, sausages and kabobs that tame the ravenous appetites of hungry travelers. Then, step inside the large dining area of Pantopia™ and sample some of Mama Marac’s most popular recipes, including baby back ribs or chicken fettuccini Alfredo. Famished wanderers will also find specialty salads, hot and hearty sandwiches, delectable desserts and a complete kid's menu.

The tale continues with the Twisted Tails Pretzels. An artisan baker once came to the crossroads of Pantopia™ and never left. He adopted and cared for two lemurs that were often seen sitting back-to-back with their tails entwined. Inspired by the shape of the lemur’s tales, the baker started making the “pretzel.” Now this baker has expanded his skills to include other delicious treats, always using exotic, colorful and flavorful salts and sugars. Find the signature entwined lemurs in Pantopia™ and stop in for fresh-rolled pretzels and breads, featuring pretzel sandwiches, pizzas, pretzel dogs and an expanded assortment of craft beers, as well as other beverages and snacks.

The scent of fresh Kettle Corn will fill Pantopia™ daily. Be sure to explore this topsy-turvy structure decorated with a mesmerizing mosaic of plates and bowls and topped by an assortment of sticks and shiny mirrors, silverware and coins. Drop in and enjoy a phenomenal display station where kettle corn and other flavored popcorns are popped fresh daily. While you’re there, pick up other guest favorites like turkey legs, potato twisters or chicken strips, or quench your thirst with plenty of refreshing beverages!

Take the Dive in Pantopia™

The centerpiece of Pantopia™, Falcon’s Fury™ is the tallest freestanding drop tower in North America, standing at 335 feet. At the ride’s highest point there is an element of surprise. Like its bird of prey namesake, riders pivot 90 degrees in midair to a face-down dive position. An instant later they'll plunge 60mph straight down with speed and power like they’ve likely never experienced before.

After you feel the fury, the excitement continues as riders feel the “sting” of The Scorpion's terrifying 60-foot drop and 360-degree loop, all at incredible speeds. As long as anyone can remember, a band of marauding salvage artists have made a yearly pilgrimage to Pantopia™ to add their treasured findings to the sinuous scorpion sculpture that stretches across the entrance to its namesake coaster.

Fashioned from an old sailing ship by a retired captain with passionate dreams of flight, the mighty Phoenix soars through the sky with its red, shimmering wings spread wide. This giant pendulum of a ride swings and turns several full loops, creating speed changes, rocking motions and relative weightlessness for passengers.

Slow things down with the Grand Caravan Carousel. Courtesy of a benevolent Bedouin leader, guests to Pantopia™ will marvel at the luxurious, layered tapestries and tenting as they whirl around and around on a festive caravan carousel.

Finally, the entire family can follow along during Opening Night Critters, a theatrical “tail” that features both domestic and exotic animals in the newly-renovated PantopiaTheater. A couple of stage hands haphazardly find themselves in the spotlight as the human stars in an all-animal production. They quickly discover that working with these animals isn’t as easy as they had originally thought. Try as they might, they can’t get their costars to cooperate and when nearly all hope is lost, their kindness and compassion is rewarded when everything falls into place for a fun-filled, furry and feathered finale.

During my visit today for the hard hat construction tour of Falcon's Fury & Pantopia Jeff Hornick, BGT Director of Design and Engineering was available to address the remainder of the forum questions that went unanswered during my previous visit.

What hurricane winds is the tower rated for?

The tower meets all Florida guidelines and hurricane ratings. He did mention that the tower is designed to sway approximately 3' in any directions at the top.

What triggers the pivot from the diving position to the home position as the cabin makes its free fall.

Basically, gravity. The braking system will aid in increasing the G force in turn increasing the effect of gravity.

What is the length of the total free fall (in terms of feet) from the release point at the top of the tower, to the point where it engages the brake?

Approximately a third of the way down you will hit the secondary brake fins. This will start a gradual deceleration of the RV. At the half way point you will hit the primary brake fins that will in turn complete the braking action. There is no fail-safe on the braking system as it uses rare-earth magnets which do not have to be energized.

What is the theoretical capacity of Falcon's Fury ?

800 people per hour

Jeff also stated that there are over 6,000 bolts used in the splice collars.

Thank you Jeff for taking the time to answer these questions.

FalconsFury-248.jpg

I will be back with many more photo's and additional Q&As in the following evenings.

Last edited:
What triggers the pivot from the diving position to the home position as the cabin makes its free fall.

Basically, gravity. The braking system will aid in increasing the G force in turn increasing the effect of gravity.

This may be a dumb question and I'm misunderstanding, but does this mean that the seats snap back into place without any mechanical help? As in, they lock into the "looking-down" position, and then on the way down whatever locked the seats in that position simply releases letting the seats swing freely back to normal? I was under the impression that the seat mechanics that push them forward in the first place would slowly bring the seats back to normal in a controlled manner on the way down.

Also, I didn't see the wild mouse roller coaster mentioned in the Pantopia description...is it on its way out?

Last edited:
Thanks for the info and pics, Bob! :thumbs: Was following your Twitter updates and look forward to seeing all the pics from today!

Looking forward to seeing this open! :cheers:

Last edited:
This may be a dumb question and I'm misunderstanding, but does this mean that the seats snap back into place without any mechanical help? As in, they lock into the "looking-down" position, and then on the way down whatever locked the seats in that position simply releases letting the seats swing freely back to normal? I was under the impression that the seat mechanics that push them forward in the first place would slowly bring the seats back to normal in a controlled manner on the way down.

Also, I didn't see the wild mouse roller coaster mentioned in the Pantopia description...is it on its way out?

No questions are dumb questions. I should have been clearer, Jeff stated that the braking fins assisted in placing the seats in a vertical position again. I'm thinking that in addition to gravity the braking fins may act directly on the seat pivot mechanism. I'll have additional pictures of the seats shortly.

Wild Mouse will be staying with no retheming, renaming or rehab at this time according to Brian Morrow, SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment's Corporate Director of Theming.

Due to TylerDurden's question above, I thought I better post the pictures of the seat tonight. :lol:

FalconsFury-250.jpg

FalconsFury-251.jpg

FalconsFury-252.jpg

FalconsFury-253.jpg

FalconsFury-254.jpg

FalconsFury-255.jpg

A few shots of the actual ride vehicle.

FalconsFury-256.jpg

FalconsFury-257.jpg

FalconsFury-258.jpg

FalconsFury-259.jpg

At this time I plan on taking more shots of the RV this coming Saturday.

Last edited:
Reactions: TylerDurden
I can't tell from the pics, but based on the description of how gravity will aid in returning the seats to vertical, it sounds like the bottom of the seats will be pulled up and in while the top of the seat would be at the pivot point when you move into face down position, rather than the top being pushed out and down. That way when it begins to drop, whatever lifted the bottom of the seats could release and as the ride slows down, gravity would drop the bottom down to vertical. Is this correct or am I not making any sense? Lol

Great shots OF :thumbs:

I have more and will get them up as soon as possible.

- - - Updated - - -

Thats Awesome Bob, great update and I bet you had a lot of fun too. Kudos to both you and BGT.

Thanks, roodles :wave:

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you very much Bob!

You're welcome. :smiley:

- - - Updated - - -

I can't tell from the pics, but based on the description of how gravity will aid in returning the seats to vertical, it sounds like the bottom of the seats will be pulled up and in while the top of the seat would be at the pivot point when you move into face down position, rather than the top being pushed out and down. That way when it begins to drop, whatever lifted the bottom of the seats could release and as the ride slows down, gravity would drop the bottom down to vertical. Is this correct or am I not making any sense? Lol

I'll have to look into this closer.

Pantopia and Falcon's Fury hard hat tour at Busch Gardens Tampa

Brian Morrow SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment's Corporate Director of theming gave us a in depth preview of the Painted Camel Bazaar. Brian stated "recycle and repurpose" will be the Painted Camel's unique niche.

I asked Brian if there would be any keys for sale like the one he was wearing around his neck. He stated the there would be keys available but his was designed specifically for him.

The Scorpion, Sand Serpent, Phoenix and the Caravan Carousel are all slated to stay at this time.

FalconsFury-263.jpg

FalconsFury-266.jpg

FalconsFury-267.jpg

FalconsFury-268.jpg

FalconsFury-269.jpg

FalconsFury-270.jpg

FalconsFury-271.jpg

FalconsFury-292.jpg

FalconsFury-294.jpg

Mark Rose, Busch Garden Tampa's Director of Design and Engineering brought us to see the work in progress for the Pantopia Theater. The Critter Cast Away crew will have a new home and a brand new show to perform at this location. Brian Morrow said the old venue will be used for something else in the near future.

The Sahara Snacks building will be demolished to make way for additional outdoor seating.

FalconsFury-277.jpg

FalconsFury-278.jpg

FalconsFury-279.jpg

FalconsFury-280.jpg

FalconsFury-281.jpg

FalconsFury-282.jpg

FalconsFury-283.jpg

FalconsFury-284.jpg

During our time with Jeff we learned the following ...

35 min shaded queue

4 AC motors totaling 1000hp

Over one million pounds of steel

It will take approximately 30 minutes for the maintenance crew to climb to the top. They will also have the option of riding on a platform mounted to the top of the RV.

Ride height is tentatively set a 48"

FalconsFury-286.jpg

FalconsFury-287.jpg

FalconsFury-288.jpg

FalconsFury-290.jpg

FalconsFury-291.jpg

FalconsFury-293.jpg

FalconsFury-260.jpg

FalconsFury-264.jpg

FalconsFury-265.jpg

FalconsFury-272.jpg

FalconsFury-273.jpg

FalconsFury-274.jpg

Thanks to Kelly, Travis, Mark, Jeff, Brian and all the support staff for inviting OU to this well organized and informative event. Special thanks to the construction crews for their patience while we all traipsed through their "hot" job site.

FalconsFury-261.jpg

FalconsFury-275.jpg

FalconsFury-276.jpg

FalconsFury-285.jpg

FalconsFury-262.jpg

Reactions: Felipe