Fallen Branch Aftermath - Safety Nets Installed | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Fallen Branch Aftermath - Safety Nets Installed

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Considering it weathered Hurricane Charley unscathed I wouldn't worry too much about it...It is indeed a triumph of design and engineering, but considering it's age and the amount of harsh weather conditions it endures I'm surprised we haven't seen more issues..hope this is the only branch that falls and not the first in a series..

Considering it weathered Hurricane Charley unscathed I wouldn't worry too much about it...It is indeed a triumph of design and engineering, but considering it's age and the amount of harsh weather conditions it endures I'm surprised we haven't seen more issues..hope this is the only branch that falls and not the first in a series..

Charlie was 2004. That is going on eight years ago. Orlando did not even get as hit has hard as it could have by such a storm. The real problem that you pointed out its age is a factor. It goes back to the same issue WDW commonly has in recent years. Maintaining the great things they design.

Charlie was 2004. That is going on eight years ago. Orlando did not even get as hit has hard as it could have by such a storm. The real problem that you pointed out its age is a factor. It goes back to the same issue WDW commonly has in recent years. Maintaining the great things they design.

Age is definitely a huge factor, but combine it with the 3 hurricanes of 2004 and others since, you can see why this happened. With a structure this unique, it needs to be evaluated every 5 years or so to ensure it's structural soundness.

The Engineers that worked on DAK already have one black eye with a show piece climax to a signature attraction going on 5 years with a crumbling foundation. How sure are you guys that this tree is designed as it should be?

The Engineers that worked on DAK already have one black eye with a show piece climax to a signature attraction going on 5 years with a crumbling foundation. How sure are you guys that this tree is designed as it should be?

Considering the problems with the Yeti have nothing to do with his foundation, I'm pretty sure.

Safety > Courtesy > Show > Efficiency

Disney has bad Show, but Safety isn't something they mess around with.

Actually the entire problem with the Yeti is the AA's motions are too forceful and have caused the concrete foundation he is bolted to to basically crumble. And that is why the repair has not happened. To make the repair they have to remove the AA entirely. To do that they need to remove a section of the track. After they remove the track and the AA they can pour a new redesigned foundation.

Considering the problems with the Yeti have nothing to do with his foundation, I'm pretty sure.

Safety > Courtesy > Show > Efficiency

Disney has bad Show, but Safety isn't something they mess around with.

The only issue with Yeti is the foundation..it runs fine, but is too much for the foundation it sits on

btw it goes like this

Money>Safety>Courtesy>Efficiency>Show

Actually the entire problem with the Yeti is the AA's motions are too forceful and have caused the concrete foundation he is bolted to to basically crumble. And that is why the repair has not happened. To make the repair they have to remove the AA entirely. To do that they need to remove a section of the track. After they remove the track and the AA they can pour a new redesigned foundation.

Didn't I get yelled at in the Yeti thread for claiming that the Yeti would have to be removed to be repaired?

This whole yeti thing has been re-imagined to the point of myth and romance. The original story sounds most likely. Anyone see the Mythbuster's "Tesla's earthquake machine" episode? That is what the yeti mechanism is... I giant piston going in and out and in and out over and over again. Sounds plausible to me depending on how many trains are being run and the rhythm induced.

This whole yeti thing has been re-imagined to the point of myth and romance. The original story sounds most likely. Anyone see the Mythbuster's "Tesla's earthquake machine" episode? That is what the yeti mechanism is... I giant piston going in and out and in and out over and over again. Sounds plausible to me depending on how many trains are being run and the rhythm induced.

Don't quote me on this, but I believe they can run 4 trains max. I too see the idea of the crumbling foundation being the cause rather than a lubrication issue.

I believe I have seen 5 trains. When there are more than 4 trains, it throws the 'train up the hill - train out of the tunnel' at the same time out of sync. Three stop areas: lift hill(1), broken track(2), yeti shadow(3) and two more trains at load(4) and unload(5). It probably could handle 6 trains as the unload contains a double stop.

Last edited:
I believe I have seen 5 trains. When there more than 4 trains, it throws the 'train up the hill - train out of the tunnel' at the same time out of sync. Three stop areas: lift hill, broken track, yeti shadow and two more trains at load and unload. It can handle 5 trains on track.

I was bouncing between 4 and 5, but I think you're right.

So why can't it be gradually fixed after hours with the ride still operating during the day?

Don't ask me. I dunno what the exact issue is. Just reporting what I was told.

I believe I have seen 5 trains. When there are more than 4 trains, it throws the 'train up the hill - train out of the tunnel' at the same time out of sync. Three stop areas: lift hill(1), broken track(2), yeti shadow(3) and two more trains at load(4) and unload(5). It probably could handle 6 trains as the unload contains a double stop.

5 trains is the max, I believe.

Don't quote me on this, but I believe they can run 4 trains max. I too see the idea of the crumbling foundation being the cause rather than a lubrication issue.

Not when the lubrication issue cause a serious failure.

I have some lubrications for Disney!

if-you-know-what-i-mean.jpg

Speaking of the Yeti

969b38ff.jpg

The ghastly Himalayan primate was the next stop on our tour, and seeing the beast up close with the lights on was worth the price of admission (the price was $0.00, not to demean to tour, just to be funny). The thing was massive, its face horrifying, even in a well lit environment. They explained to us how the fur weighs a ton, is made of up actual animal fur, and can be completely removed to expose the audioanimatronic skeleton. We also learned that the attraction itself cost $90 million, and the Yeti alone was $20 million. And it hasn’t been fully operational since 2009. The sweeping motion it executed every time a train went by was too much for its foundation, causing so much force it was tearing its roots out of the ground. To fix the beast, they would have to shut down the attraction. To shut down to attraction would mean a loss of five to eight thousand guests in the park a day, and they do not want that.

Reactions: Cwoolboy