Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (movie) | Page 12 | Inside Universal Forums

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (movie)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
From the preview clips and trailers.. the "whimsy" aspect of Newt and the way he is constantly looking at things off to the side.. (which makes me think he has a lazy eye but it turns out that's the character not the actor..) I'm expecting it to feel like watching Jennifer Connolly in every-movie-she's-in stare at something dramatically while her hair blows in the wind.

Is this an unfounded fear?

From the preview clips and trailers.. the "whimsy" aspect of Newt and the way he is constantly looking at things off to the side.. (which makes me think he has a lazy eye but it turns out that's the character not the actor..) I'm expecting it to feel like watching Jennifer Connolly in every-movie-she's-in stare at something dramatically while her hair blows in the wind.

He's quite charming despite the ticks, but he and the lead woman are a bit underwritten. I found myself smitten with the supporting players, but all in all, the human ensemble gels quite well and I'm looking forward to another.

Reactions: Mad Dog
It's got some flaws but it's good escapism fun that builds the Universe before probable better things to come. I liked it...a lot.

He's more comfortable around the beasts and when caring for them, he perks up quite a bit.

He's more comfortable around the beasts and when caring for them, he perks up quite a bit.

Right, he's a guy who bonds with animals more than other human beings. I just wish we'd gotten greater insight as to why that is and how it's affected his life up to this point. His symbiotic with the creatures gets him out of plenty of scraps, to be sure, and he has an innate trust in animals - but what about humans specifically bug him too much? Isn't he a little similar to Grindelwald in some of his overarching ideas? I have faith future films will address this in more detail.

Right, he's a guy who bonds with animals more than other human beings. I just wish we'd gotten greater insight as to why that is and how it's affected his life up to this point. His symbiotic with the creatures gets him out of plenty of scraps, to be sure, and he has an innate trust in animals - but what about humans specifically bug him too much? Isn't he a little similar to Grindelwald in some of his overarching ideas? I have faith future films will address this in more detail.

I, too, have faith that this will be brought up in future movies...

since his time in Hogwarts and having a Lestrange photo in his office that's brought up several times. I imagine we'll get explanations for his expulsion, his relationship to Dumbledore, and more about his past.

Reactions: TDBLMT
Heads up for everyone fandango is having a b1g1 sale this weekend with visa checkout.
Fandango Tickets w/ Visa Checkout - Slickdeals.net
I splurged for the Imax (although I wouldn't usually since it is just largely the same footage blown up) near me at net cost of $21 for two. It's a quality theater in any case.

I think you can buy this weekend for later dates at the b1g1 rate.

Just got back from the theater and had a lot to process.
Minor spoilers ahead, major spoilers in tags - I thoroughly enjoyed it and I actually believe I will come to love it more when I have watched it a second time.
There were some glaring plotlines that I'd like resolved. For instance,
How did Grindewald infiltrate the American government, what were his motivations, and what happened to the real Graves (because it is suggested through Pottermore that he was real, with a family line going back to the beginnings of American wizardry).
But I understand this is also part of what makes movies set apart from books and I'm happy to let some of these things go if it means we get more interesting information. The world building was wonderful, and as others have put, there is a more mature tone here than in previous films. Without being confined to a school we are able to see a greater scope of wizarding issues. I definitely enjoyed these characters. I know some are critical of Newt but personally I loved him. His fight is for those who are misunderstood even if it's confined to beasts for the majority of this film, and his love of creatures thought to be dangerous reminded me of Hagrid.
Another issue I have to question is
The Obscurus is interesting because there are a number of times we are introduced to repressed wizards in the original storyline. Though again it's a new story and some things will obviously just be let go, I found it interesting that Harry Potter might have had this issue as a child. It typically affects young repressed witches or wizards.
With all that out of the way it was incredibly satisfying being back in the universe, and it certainly is a return to it. Lots of laughs to be had, and perhaps some tears too - a darker side of the universe is unvieled in this film.
I eagerly await new films, and one final lament is
I was expecting a glimpse of Illvermorny! Hoping to see it in a future installment...
Go watch it if you haven't yet - great film all it's own and certainly a refreshing new love letter to fans. My boyfriend even said it was his favorite Wizarding World story yet, and that was probably based upon the beasts most of all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mad Dog
Honestly, I LOVED this film!

Given the current times we live in, I think it's safe to say that we all need an escape right now. Luckily, J.K. Rowling (who penned the screenplay for the film, a first for her. She does a fantastic job and the film plays much like one of her books.) provides us with that much needed escape, while also commenting on the times we are living in today. Fantastic Beasts is fantastic, completely magical, and whimsical. It's also dark, grey, serious, scary at points, and a little sad. This outing seems to be geared more-so towards adults than kids (for some of the reasons stated above). The film has plenty of the fun, magical moments we've come to expect from the Potter franchise while still providing plenty of thrilling action and wizarding battles. The CGI is pretty great (both for the creatures, which are completely lovable, and for the action), and the 3D is very well done. There are plenty of objects and creatures which fly out of the screen and into our laps, along with a good deal of added depth. I'd go so far as to say that the 3D enhances the film, and the magic and whimsy found within (honestly, it feels like this film was made with 3D in mind).

I went into Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them hopeful but trepidatious. I can confidently say that my fears were unfounded, this film is awesome in all the right ways. Fantastic Beasts has great messages that are pretty relevant today, high quality performances from talented actors (my favorites were Eddie Redmayne as Newt, Dan Fogler as Jacob, and Alison Sudol as Queenie), plenty of magic and whimsy, and provides us with a much needed reprieve. I honestly can't think of one thing I didn't like about the film (ok, maybe the film ends a few too many times, some of the dialogue is mumbled, and while the pacing is slow, that never bothered me....it may some though). It's been 5 years since we last got to visit The Wizarding World, but it feels like so much longer. It's good to be back. You want an escape? I say let J.K. Rowling whisk you away as only she can.

9/10

Reactions: Mad Dog and Frogki
After a night to reflect, I am comfortable saying I love this film. It is a new favorite, maybe it is because I'm a diehard but I really did love it.

It's interesting reading the more critical reviews, one of the biggest complaints seems to be centered around the characters being empty and the film being too expositional. I can agree with those complaints with the caveat that I believe the other four films will be a bit different, and that I feel a second viewing will allow people to digest the characters better. Personally I loved them all.

How did Grindewald infiltrate the American government, what were his motivations, and what happened to the real Graves (because it is suggested through Pottermore that he was real, with a family line going back to the beginnings of American wizardry).

It was stated Graves visited eastern Europe at one point, so it is assumed a Quirrell situation happened where Grindelwald basically killed and did some sort of magic (plz explain JKR) to assume the identity of Graves. Because he was such high up in the MACUSA Grindelwald saw it as an opportunity to destroy the world's most restrictive and protective statute of secrecy in the wizarding world.

Reactions: Frogki
It was stated Graves visited eastern Europe at one point, so it is assumed a Quirrell situation happened where Grindelwald basically killed and did some sort of magic (plz explain JKR) to assume the identity of Graves. Because he was such high up in the MACUSA Grindelwald saw it as an opportunity to destroy the world's most restrictive and protective statute of secrecy in the wizarding world.

I figured something along those lines but apparently I haven't become as well versed on Pottermore as I thought. Makes sense for him to try to do that, however I wonder if he simply took a large enough supply of hair from Graves for Polyjuice potion... It's not like the hair ever had to be fresh in the books. Heck, Hermione even said you could use things like toenails or whatnot to make the potion if so needed.

I figured something along those lines but apparently I haven't become as well versed on Pottermore as I thought. Makes sense for him to try to do that, however I wonder if he simply took a large enough supply of hair from Graves for Polyjuice potion... It's not like the hair ever had to be fresh in the books. Heck, Hermione even said you could use things like toenails or whatnot to make the potion if so needed.

I don't think it's Polyjuice as Newt uses Revilio on Grindelwald. Also it's said in the movie Graves visited eastern europe or something, so it's all in the movie not Pottermore. I bet things will get clearer after a second viewing.

Top of the box office domestically this weekend at 75 million according to HuffPost! And top internationally at 218.3 million!
$75M is a nice opening weekend for something that people went to see pretty much solely because it was connected to HP and JK Rowling wrote the screenplay.

They do need to focus on the franchise itself and build it to be it's own entity so as to not rely on Potter as much. While $75M is great, it's also $13-15M less than the lowest grossing HP opening weekend when adjusted for inflation, and most Harry Potter films tended to gobble up the vast majority of their domestic gross in the first 2 weeks or so, much like other book-based movie franchises like Twilight, The Hunger Games, etc.

I think this movie will do a bit better for later sales than the first series of harry potter movies percentage wise due to lack of pent up demand connected to source material.

The movie felt about as good as it could have been. There is a lack of mystery and surprises that elevate the original series. This series is set up for a much more straightforward approach, but it is entertaining.

Reactions: Nick and Frogki
I agree with parts of that article. One of the biggest parts is the idea of having collaborations with people who are minority groups, because I think the representation absolutely matters and I think deep down Rowling feels that way too. I also think Cursed Child was a bit of a let down.
That being said I loved Fantastic Beasts and I think people really went on a (pun unintended) witch hunt with Depp. My reasoning being that she received a settlement if I remember correctly, there never was a trial, she has a recorded history of abusing partners and Depp has never been accused by previous partners. I understand not wanting someone who's abusive tainting a franchise but I think the evidence needs to be there, and it isn't here.
Finally, I think the fandom will inevitably have some who shift onward and some who remain onboard. I hope Rowling upholds her legacy well, and I do believe she is trying to do so.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nick